Little boy blue

Old May 15th, 2008, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
theartoflee[_34_]

Default Little boy blue

For those tiny olive what do you guys like to use for the wings? I am
wondering what material specifically the emergers do you guys use? In
the past I have used CDC Dark Natural Dun but find I have to add alot
of flotant to the fly once it has been fished for a while.

Any one here use Polly and if so what results have you guys had?

Thanks!

--
theartoflee

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever.
Old May 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
LouF[_4_]

He needed the money!
Old May 15th, 2008, 10:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave LaCourse

On Thu, 15 May 2008 13:29:28 -0400, theartoflee
wrote:

For those tiny olive what do you guys like to use for the wings? I am
wondering what material specifically the emergers do you guys use? In
the past I have used CDC Dark Natural Dun but find I have to add alot
of flotant to the fly once it has been fished for a while.

Any one here use Polly and if so what results have you guys had?

Thanks!

Adding a floatant to cdc defeats its ability to hold air and thereby
float well. If your cdc fly is gummed up after catching a fish or
fishing it for awhile, simply wash it in the stream, blow on it to dry
it, and apply Frogs Fanny to the cdc feather. Should float like a
cork.

Old May 15th, 2008, 10:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Scott Seidman

Dave LaCourse wrote in
:

wrote:

For those tiny olive what do you guys like to use for the wings? I am
wondering what material specifically the emergers do you guys use? In
the past I have used CDC Dark Natural Dun but find I have to add alot
of flotant to the fly once it has been fished for a while.

Any one here use Polly and if so what results have you guys had?

Thanks!

Adding a floatant to cdc defeats its ability to hold air and thereby
float well. If your cdc fly is gummed up after catching a fish or
fishing it for awhile, simply wash it in the stream, blow on it to dry
it, and apply Frogs Fanny to the cdc feather. Should float like a
cork.

Dave

Ditto. Some Dry-Shake might de-slime it better than blowing on it, but no
floatant and Frogs Fanny is the way to go.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old May 16th, 2008, 01:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
BIGBOW[_7_]

theartoflee;114165 Wrote:
In the past I have used CDC Dark Natural Dun but find I have to add
alot of flotant to the fly once it has been fished for a while.

Thanks!

On a side note, not an expert at tying yet, but definately getting my
feet wet. I do know that floatant is supposed to wreck CDC and read it
shouldnt be used on it.

--
BIGBOW

*Listen To The River Sing Sweet Songs To Rock My Soul...*
Old May 21st, 2008, 10:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Derek[_2_]

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...
Dave LaCourse wrote in
:

wrote:

[...]

I can type now I have stopped laughing I had not heard of FF however in
the UK the name would raise a few eyebrows due to a difference in
interpretation of the words . I agree in principle to the use of silicone
flotants and I'm intrigued by the idea of using a powder, for 30+some years
I have used brush on or dip in silicone liquids ( Mucilin and Permaflote I
am trying Gink atm ) I may have to give it a try, if only to see my fishing
pals fall over in the water when I tell them I've just dipped my flies in
Frogs Fanny. Have the suspender buzzers made it across the water to you yet?
as a pre-emergent they are amazingly effective on feeding fish expecially
patrollers.
Derek

Old May 21st, 2008, 11:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave LaCourse

On Wed, 21 May 2008 22:35:04 +0100, "Derek"
wrote:

Have the suspender buzzers made it across the water to you yet?
as a pre-emergent

Yes. They work very well on my home waters, tied either with cdc
(preferred) or foam. There is another buzzer that I sometimes use -
the parasol nymph, especially a Pheasant Tail tied with the parasol.
It floats about two inches beneath the surface and can be deadly.

Re, gink: Do not put that or any other floatant on cdc feathers. It
will gum them up and destroy their natural floating ability. A
powdered desiccant is the only thing that will bring the cdc back to
its natural state (other than time.....).

Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Derek[_2_]

wrote:

Have the suspender buzzers made it across the water to you yet?
as a pre-emergent

Yes. They work very well on my home waters, tied either with cdc
(preferred) or foam. There is another buzzer that I sometimes use -
the parasol nymph, especially a Pheasant Tail tied with the parasol.
It floats about two inches beneath the surface and can be deadly.

Re, gink: Do not put that or any other floatant on cdc feathers. It
will gum them up and destroy their natural floating ability. A
powdered desiccant is the only thing that will bring the cdc back to
its natural state (other than time.....).

thanks for the heads up re cdc if I use any I will be sure to bear it in
mind I am a huge fan of PTN's from the tiniest s/s 18 to the full 10s 4x
longshank. is this the form you favour
http://www.americanflyfishing.com/re...52%5F400%2Ejpg
tho' being old school I would be as likely to fish a certain large dry on
the dropper and a normal PTN as tail fly ( or vice versa ) much the same
effect tho' we do get far more takes on the dry the PTN seems to act as an
attractor.
Derek

Old May 23rd, 2008, 10:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Dave LaCourse

On Fri, 23 May 2008 22:06:43 +0100, "Derek"
wrote:

PTN's from the tiniest s/s 18 to the full 10s 4x
longshank. is this the form you favour

Yes, that is a picture of the parasol nymph that I have used. It
works when nothing else does. Also, years ago I discovered parachute
nymphs (PT and GRHE). The too worked quite well.

I tie PTs down to size 24. No tail and no pheasant used on ones
smaller than #18. Simply brown thread for the body, the smallest
diameter wire I can find for ribbing, peacock herl thorax, and a very
small tuft of cream antron cut very short for wings. Works very well
on my home waters.