Female Hendrickson Comparadun

Old March 19th, 2008, 11:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mayfly[_6_]

Default Female Hendrickson Comparadun

Jim,

I got your point! I just think that the fly that you described is not a
comparadun.
Let me make my point in another way. The Comparadun is a style that
includes a wide-splayed tail of either microfibbets, hackle or perhaps
some hairs that are used to balance and assist with floatation, like
outriggers. The Sparkledun that you describe has a sparkle yarn, or
similar material, tail that gives the impression(-I guess-) of a shuck,
falling off the insect, to the trout.

This has nothing to do with fish catching, which is better, which is
easier to tie, etc. Also, you know that if you walk into 9 out of 10
(maybe even 10 out of 10) fly shops and ask, "Where are the
comparaduns?" you would find flies with the tails I mentioned. The
shops that carry both 'sparkleduns' and 'comparaduns' would have them
in separate bins.

Allan

--
Mayfly

Allan
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Big_Spinner[_10_]

Hi Allan,

Okay, so you are right, I do not tie comparaduns.

My point is, why bother?

You can catch more fish with trailing schucks under all conditions I
have encountered. Never have I had a situation where a comparadun will
catch a fish that an emerger or sparkle dun type will not.

But I do believe that I will catch some fish with a trailing schuck fly
and not catch that fish with a comparadun.

AND - the fly with the shuck is easier to tie!!!!

Jim

--
Big_Spinner
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
emerger

I would have to agree with Big Spinner. Flies with trailing shucks do
catch more fish for me. I still tie some with split tails but most of
my flies have Z-lon trailing shucks.

--
emerger
Old March 20th, 2008, 11:00 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mayfly[_7_]

I did not say that the fly described by Jim: catches less fish(may even
catch more); is less effective; does not float well(differently yes);
is not easier to tie; or anything like that in comparison to a
'Comparadun'. What I said was, 'The pattern he described is a
'Sparkledun', not a 'Comparadun'. That's all!

Of you take a Quill Gordon and change the body from a stripped peacock
quill to a stripped red(brown) hackle quill you get a Red Quill. You
take the body of a Q.G. and change it to one made out of a light tan
fur(or sub) and you get a Hendrickson.

Jim - As to your comment, "Why bother"?
The simple answer is fly tiers 'bother' tying all types of flies that
they use or don't use. Why bother tying at all? It's not, for the great
majority of us, not cost saving. In fact I'll never tie or use the
amount of money I have invested in my tying stuff. I'm sure I'd spend
less buying my flies. I'm guessing that you have more rods and reels
then you actually need. Why bother?

Allan

--
Mayfly

Allan
Old March 20th, 2008, 12:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Big_Spinner[_11_]

Hi Allan,

Well said!!!

There are two distinct populations of fly tyers as well as a bunch that
fit in between.

Artists who work the craft for the beauty and show.

Practical fly tyers who just make flies to fish.

Both employ innovation and change.

I fit closer to the practical tyer end of the spectrum.

The best part of the story is that I started tying all my flies with
shucks because I never could split a tail and make it look right!!!

One other bit of info on the "split tail vs. shuck" controversy!

Flies with split tails tend to twist tippets when flying through the
air, especially if those tails are not symmetric. The shuck does not
seem to cause that problem.

Jim

--
Big_Spinner
Old March 20th, 2008, 01:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
khuhner[_6_]

bigduhon;109368 Wrote:
I tied up a half dozen female hendrickson comparaduns last night for use
(hopefully) on the upper delaware. I followed a pattern from a book on
the delaware system (I'm sure you know which one). Here's what I
used:

Hook - Dry Fly size 14
Body - Hendrickson Pink Superfine
Tail - Three olive fibbets (split)
Wing - Comparadun Deer Hair
Thread - Olive

I'm taking a look at some patterns online this morning and don't see
anyone else using olive tails and thread. Was this wrong? What should
I use

For the Delaware system, I'd expect the females to run a size larger
than the males say #12 (or even a 12 2XL dry fly hook). Be sure to add
some longer ones to your aresenal.

As for the Olive, I wouldnt say it's "wrong", but I would expect light
dun to be the color of choice.

Hope this helps!
Kurt

--
khuhner

'www.NYCTroutBums.com' (http://tinyurl.com/35ur62)
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mayfly[_8_]

Jim,

Now it's you who don't get it!

"-One other bit of info on the "split tail vs. shuck" controversy!-"

There is no controversy about anything OTHER THEN THE NAME you applied
to the fly.

Allan

--
Mayfly

Allan
Old March 20th, 2008, 02:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Big_Spinner[_12_]

Hi Allan,

Chill out. It was a joke!!!

Jim

--
Big_Spinner
Old March 20th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
GARYB

Bigduhon,

The answer to your question is the tails should be a blue dun,
grey will do. the thread should match the thorax/head color which
could be anywhere from pink to dark blue dun. It's not that big a
deal,
olive is probably just as good.
As far as tails vs. shucks, I love the shucks but I've had fish
refuse them
and slam the tailed version the next cast, so I think you need both
even though I hate doing the split tails.

--
GARYB
Old March 20th, 2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
theartoflee[_28_]

It think their could be some contraversey over what state or stage of
bug is represented by Craig Mathews Sparkle Dunn. I think in certain
cases it can resemble if sparsely tied a cripple mayfly whoms tails
have been blown or bunched together. In those instances I would think
the shuck if tied sparsely could represent just that two tails.

If I were big horn don I would tie both in various sizes as Kurt
mentioned. Then I would move on to the CDC flys.

--
theartoflee

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever.