Leisenring

Old March 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
mrbligh

Default Leisenring

I just ran across a pattern that refers to a method of dubbing a body
credited to Jim Leisenring. The pattern is a flymph. It looks very
similar to other soft hackles but the Leisenring reference has me a bit
stumped. Is this another name for a dubbing loop? Sorry if this is a
naive question, hope you don't mind helping out a newbie.

--
mrbligh
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Pete[_15_]

Jim Leisenring is credited with pioneering the "flymph" (sort of a cross
between a wet fly and a nymph), and how to fish it ( "Lisenring
lift").

I don't know if he invented the "dubbing loop" but it's been described
in books about his flys and methods.

If you can find it, I recomment "-The Art Of Tying The Wet Fly &
Fishing The Flymph-" by James E Lisenring and Vernon S. Hidy.

--
Pete
Old March 17th, 2008, 03:22 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jcstikfish[_4_]

mrbligh;109224 Wrote:
I just ran across a pattern that refers to a method of dubbing a body
credited to Jim Leisenring. The pattern is a flymph. It looks very
similar to other soft hackles but the Leisenring reference has me a bit
stumped. Is this another name for a dubbing loop? Sorry if this is a
naive question, hope you don't mind helping out a newbie.

Pretty much. Leisenring used to create all of his dubbed fly bodies
ahead of time. He would spin the dubbing loop and then save it on a
notched piece of cardboard until needed for a given tying session.

[image:
http://g-ecx.images-amazon.com/image..._AA240_.L.jpg]

Unfortunately, this book is now out of print, but it is outstanding.
Buy it if you can find it used. One of my personal fly fishing bibles.

~James

--
jcstikfish

'www.autumnbrookangling.com' (http://tinyurl.com/3869da)
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

'ABA Fly Fishing Journal' (http://tinyurl.com/34lzt6)
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_25_]

Keep looking at all the book search site, like abebooks.com as well as
Amazon. You never know, I found a copy for $35 last year.

--
JeffK
Old March 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JT

"Pete" wrote in message

If you can find it, I recomment "-The Art Of Tying The Wet Fly &
Fishing The Flymph-" by James E Lisenring and Vernon S. Hidy.

The book is available through Amazon.com, but it's about $200.00

JT

Old March 17th, 2008, 06:29 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Soft-hackle[_14_]

Hi,
You have touched upon a subject I'm very happy to discuss. The
Leisenring method of dubbing is very similar to the dubbing loop,
however, it is a method of creating dubbing brushes off the fly itself.
As mentioned above by James, Leisenring made the bodies ahead of time,
stored them on slitted cards and would then sit and tie the flies.
What is particularly nice about this is it makes your tying session go
a little faster and makes for a very durable, thread under-colored body
that can be very buggy or softly dubbed.

Leisenring's flymphs were intended to be fished from bottom to top, but
they can, when tied on light wire hooks, be fished in the film.
Leisenring also varied hackle stiffness based on the water speed where
he was fishing.

If you have not fished with the wingless wets, then you are missing
something. These flies are quite effective in almost every fishing
situation to represent a number of various stages of a number of
various insects.

Here's some recent flymphs I've tied:

[image:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...iveFlymph.jpg]
Little Olive Flymph

[image:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...lsFlymph1.jpg]
Greenwell's Flymph

[image:
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...WateryDun.jpg]
Pale Watery Flymph

[image: http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...ckle/Bl-1.jpg]
Black Stone Flymph

If you'd like more information on the Leisenring method of dubbing, let
me know.

Mark

--
Soft-hackle

'Flymphs, Soft-hackles & Spiders' (http://tinyurl.com/2u5ak6)
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:17 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Andy B[_4_]

Oh God, some one let a soft hackle wet fly guy loose on this board
:rofl: Hi Mark, as always your soft hackle wet flies looks great. It
nice to see that my evil side of my wet fly tying is alive and well. I
would like to hook up with you in the near future and do a little soft
hackle wet fly tying. I would like to see the technique that you are
using. As always great looking flies.

Sincerely

Andy B

--
Andy B
Old March 18th, 2008, 01:48 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Soft-hackle[_15_]

Hi Andy,
I'm not yet listed, but I will be tying at the Clearwater Junction
Event in June, in Roscoe. I see your name is on the list. Perhaps we
can get together and swap notes. . I want to watch you tie a few,
too.

Mark

Old March 18th, 2008, 03:12 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
mrbligh[_2_]

Thanks to all of you for your prompt replies. The information and
pictures are a great help. Very impressed with the quality of tying.
I think I will try forming the dubbing loop on the fly for now and see
how that goes - if I find that flymphs are effective and I want to
tie a bunch of them I will try the mass production approach.

I assume that this fly is fished the same way as other soft hackles.

Again, thanks.

--
mrbligh
Old March 18th, 2008, 03:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Bob Weinberger

"Soft-hackle" wrote in message

Hi,
You have touched upon a subject I'm very happy to discuss. The
Leisenring method of dubbing is very similar to the dubbing loop,
however, it is a method of creating dubbing brushes off the fly itself.
As mentioned above by James, Leisenring made the bodies ahead of time,
stored them on slitted cards and would then sit and tie the flies.
What is particularly nice about this is it makes your tying session go
a little faster and makes for a very durable, thread under-colored body
that can be very buggy or softly dubbed.

Snip

30 or 40 years ago I bought a tool from Orvis (called the Dubber) for pre-
tying Leisenring type dubbing loops. I still use it whenever I plan to tie
more than just a few dubbed bodies of the same pattern. If I'm just tying a
few flies of the same pattern I find it easier to just dub directly at the
vice rather than dig out the tool.

The tool is simply a plastic box about 2 1/2" X 6" X 1/2" deep with a
couple of thread clips on one side near the top and bottom of the long axis,
two short pegs on the centerline of the long axis located directly opposite
the clips, and a crank with a hook on the end with the hook about 1/4"
from the upper peg towards the end of the tool. The back of the box opens up
and holds several pieces of thin cardboard - slotted on both ends- for
storeing made up dubbing yarns.

With this tool I can turn out a dozen 5" long dubbing strings (each good for
1-4 flies each - depending on fly size) in less than 5 min. I don't think
this tool is still commercially available, but it would be rather simple to
make your own in less than a half hour with readily available materials. If
anyone is interested I could email them photo's of the tool that show its
elements & how its used.

Bob Weinberger La Grande, OR