March Brown Nymph

Old January 29th, 2008, 10:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

Default March Brown Nymph

"JeffK" wrote in message
Usually not many March Browns
hatch so that your dry doesn't get lost in the crowd, but they are big
enough to draw most fish up, including many of the bigger guys. Catch
the hatch, take a nap, eat a nice dinner, and then go back to good
action when those huge golden spinners start to drop in the evening.
It's a spinner I can follow at dusk! One of the more pleasant hatches
of the year.

tough to generalize, but here in PA, I would agree with your assessment of
the hatch itself. Even better with a bit of a breeze or a little light rain
to keep those big duns on the water. As for the spinners, I think MB
spinners are the East's most frustrating event. I can't count the times
those big(ours in PA are reddish brown) spinners are up in the air but never
mate and drop. When they do, it's explosive and can yield big fish. If you
are seeing "golden" spinners, chances are those are Grey Fox
spinners(related, but a bit smaller overall), we call them Ginger Quills
also. They are quite a bit more reliable. Final tip, fish the spinner falls
with a heavily hackled variant style fly over the choppier stretches....oh,
and use a 3x leader, the hits will be very hard!
Tom

Old January 29th, 2008, 11:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_37_]

flyman23;105217 Wrote:
I've also had good success with nymphs. I tie a pattern I got out of the
Mid Atlantic fly fishing guide.

*March Brown Nymph*

*Thread*: Brown
*Tail*: Fibers from a mallard flank feather, dyed brown
*Body*: Cream ploy, dubbed
*Wings*: Dark brown turkey, tied down over thorax
*Hackle*: Dark cree
*Hook*: Mustad 3906B, size 12

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed, -144 and still counting.-
WINNER OF THE NEFF 2007 MOST PRESTIGIOUS AWARD
::*18 - 0:: INCONTAMINATUS*
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:27 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_41_]

I've fished some massive march brown hatches on the BFB. Easy to detect
cause usually the birds are busy swooping down and eating them.
Probably more than the fish. Often the darn things won't die and fall
back to the river until after dark. But, the birds would knock some
down and the fish would be waiting patiently to gobble them up.

Tom's right about using heavier tippet, but in my case it's because of
my hard hookset from all the excitement.

Jeffk, My log from last year tells me it was mid May when they started
hatching on the BFB. Is that you mean by late spring?

For a nymph, I've done very well using the old reliable GRHE in a size
12.

For a dry, I've found that the Ginger Quill, Quill Gordon, and Light
Hendrickson all work well.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old January 30th, 2008, 12:59 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
flyman23[_6_]

Thanks AK,

Now I don't have to go digging thru a bunch of old magazines.

--
flyman23

:fish:
Old January 30th, 2008, 01:35 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_20_]

Cdog,

I hear you about the birds. On day I was fishing the Hazel Bridge pool
on the Willow and worked myself into a great spot for the March Brown
hatch. Just before the hatch a flock of cedar waxwings started buzzing
around. When the hatch started it was very frustrating since the
waxwings swooped down and picked off my fly on every cast before a
trout could. The only good thing is they picked the fly up by the
wings and none got hooked.

--
JeffK
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_42_]

Yea, I've had the same experience. It's almost as much fun watching the
birds as catching the trout underneath. Seeing nature as many have
never experienced. So cool. I did alot of false casting, mainly to
keep the birds from grabbing my fly. Then I got the idea to have a
little fun with them and cut off the hook. Those little birds would
actually fly off pulling my flyline through the air until it pulled
tight.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old January 30th, 2008, 02:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
lastchance[_3_]

Dcabarle: That video is incredible. Thanks

--
lastchance
Old March 2nd, 2008, 03:50 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
serotonin

These were found in some tannic Adirondack Amber...

'[image:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/4415/dscn1777crmd4iipj2.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/4f99b)

'[image: http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/9017/dscn1777cr2iieu9.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/4f99b)

'[image:
http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/3185/dscn1575ph4crmdiisw5.jpg]'
(http://tinyurl.com/4f99b)

--
serotonin

cloudbuster
Old March 2nd, 2008, 05:04 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Scott Seidman

"jeffc" wrote in
:

"lastchance" wrote in message

Does anyone have a picture of a March Brown Nymph fly and pattern
they can post via a photo?

Wish I could find a web picture of Carl Coleman's March Brown. He's a
Rochester NY fisherman and created a unique fly that he was very
successful with in the rivers up there for large browns. It's fairly
fat, ribbed with dental floss IIRC, lacquered, and I believe Tom
Rosenbauer wrote that it could possibly be mistaken for a tiny
crayfish.

Heavily weighted, of course, and he's used a variety of rib materials over
the years, from condor, I think, to dental floss. Brown floss abdomen,
Peacock Thorax, and a stiff brown Hackle.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply
Old March 23rd, 2008, 09:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
W. D. Grey

In article , Scott
Seidman writes
"jeffc" wrote in
:

"lastchance" wrote in message

Does anyone have a picture of a March Brown Nymph fly and pattern
they can post via a photo?

Wish I could find a web picture of Carl Coleman's March Brown. He's a
Rochester NY fisherman and created a unique fly that he was very
successful with in the rivers up there for large browns. It's fairly
fat, ribbed with dental floss IIRC, lacquered, and I believe Tom
Rosenbauer wrote that it could possibly be mistaken for a tiny
crayfish.

Heavily weighted, of course, and he's used a variety of rib materials over
the years, from condor, I think, to dental floss. Brown floss abdomen,
Peacock Thorax, and a stiff brown Hackle.

Here is a posting by Phil Jones of Swansea, South Wales back in 1999.

"There was a hatch this morning (30th) on the Tawe, an adjacent South
Wales river. I'm looking at one of the handsome beasts as I write. The
males of some of these stone clingers strut like prize fighters!

Locally, we use a little orange in the dressing - rib with orange silk
(instead of yellow) or mix a little orange seal's fur with the
traditional hare's ear body. If you spoon a fish that's been feeding on
the nymphs, you'll see why... When the traditional pattern was devised,
there was confusion over species but in South Wales at this time of year
you'll get the genuine article!
--
Phil Jones
Swansea, South Wales"

Phil is ant excellent tyer and his pattern is well worth noting.
--
Bill Grey