March Brown Nymph

Old January 29th, 2008, 02:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
lastchance

Default March Brown Nymph

Does anyone have a picture of a March Brown Nymph fly and pattern they
can post via a photo? I've actually never seen one in the wild so I'm
not sure of the size. I know they're clingers long, wide and flat, etc.
If someone is able to do this could you post the picture of the tie
alongside a ruler so I have some reference to the size. It's a big
request and I thank you in advance.

--
lastchance
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_17_]

A real classic March Brown nymph is the Bob Jacklin version (most
traditional ties have this general look):

'March Brown Nymph \"Fly of the Week #70 - FAOL'
(http://tinyurl.com/32ksj3)

For the impressionistic end, the Polly Rosborough one is really
interesting. It is a brown marabou tail with a palmer hackled body
trimmed into a cone shape to give the general impression of a March
Brown nymph without all the details. Don't weight it so it slowly
wiggles back and forth in current - action means a lot for this tie and
it is good for all manner of clinging mayfly nymphs.

For practical fishing and to keep your nymph box less crowded, a soft
hackle Gold Ribbed Hares Ear in size 10 or 12 should do the trick.

All of the above work when the March Browns are about.

--
JeffK
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
dcabarle[_12_]

[image:
http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopos.../100_2554.JPG]

http://tinyurl.com/2w35yw

http://tinyurl.com/3d8x4f

--
dcabarle

'Technorati Profile' (http://tinyurl.com/2n68mt)
'AuctionAds' (http://www.auctionads.com/refer_ d8ab292c52a30ff7404d)
Old January 29th, 2008, 03:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JT

"lastchance" wrote in message

Does anyone have a picture of a March Brown Nymph fly and pattern they
can post via a photo? I've actually never seen one in the wild so I'm
not sure of the size. I know they're clingers long, wide and flat, etc.
If someone is able to do this could you post the picture of the tie
alongside a ruler so I have some reference to the size. It's a big
request and I thank you in advance.

Plug in the URL and it will bring up several pictures & tying instructions
for a March Brown Nymph. They are commonly ties in #10 - #14.
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...Brown+Nymph%22

The real deal:
http://www.njflyfishing.com/photopos...php?photo=3307

HTH,
JT

Old January 29th, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

lastchance wrote:
Does anyone have a picture of a March Brown Nymph fly and pattern they
can post via a photo? I've actually never seen one in the wild so I'm
not sure of the size. I know they're clingers long, wide and flat, etc.
If someone is able to do this could you post the picture of the tie
alongside a ruler so I have some reference to the size. It's a big
request and I thank you in advance.

Here's a pretty good description of fishing march browns:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/flies/march-brown-w.html

Old January 29th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
lastchance[_2_]

Thanks, All for the help.

--
lastchance
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_18_]

The fishusa guide seems great, but the Eastern March Browns are a late
spring hatch rather than an early spring hatch like out west. One of
my favorite hatches - a mid day hatch in beautiful weather. No getting
up at the crack of dawn or being cold and miserable. While waiting for
the hatch the fish attack those big nymphs, so you don't need to sit
around bored waiting for the hatch. Usually not many March Browns
hatch so that your dry doesn't get lost in the crowd, but they are big
enough to draw most fish up, including many of the bigger guys. Catch
the hatch, take a nap, eat a nice dinner, and then go back to good
action when those huge golden spinners start to drop in the evening.
It's a spinner I can follow at dusk! One of the more pleasant hatches
of the year.

--
JeffK
Old January 29th, 2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

Does anyone have a picture of a March Brown Nymph fly and pattern
they

One mo
http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...own-Nymph.html
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
flyman23[_5_]

Jeff, I have to agree with you, the March Brown hatch is one of my
favorites. I'd also add that its a pleasure to fish a size 10-12 fly,
it's so much easier to see. I've also had good success with nymphs. I
tie a pattern I got out of the Mid Atlantic fly fishing guide. I'll try
to track down the recipe and post it tomorrow.

--
flyman23

:fish:
Old January 29th, 2008, 10:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_19_]

I second the 3X comment! Three years back right at dusk on the West
Branch I switched over from little sulphur spinners to a size 10
spinner. I knew I was supposed to cut the leader back to 3x, but for
some reason wanted to save the leader and didn't. Next cast the
biggest trout I saw all year took my fly, ran me into my backing and
kept on going. One more lesson learned to hard way.

--
JeffK