Silly tying with floss (dental) question

Old January 17th, 2008, 03:37 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_16_]

Default Silly tying with floss (dental) question

We try everything because we want to develop a fly that has our fishing
friends looking at us with envy wondering what we have on. If we just
wanted to catch fish the old standards do an admirable job.

--
JeffK
Old January 18th, 2008, 01:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On Jan 17, 3:02 pm, Conan The Librarian wrote:

Although I used to dye a large number and amount of materials, I no
longer do much dyeing, as I have found that the majority of materials
can be coloured very well indeed using various marker pens.

Even though the really good pens ( Like these ; http://www.dickblick.com/zz213/42/
http://www.tradeprintsupplies.co.uk/...ne_markers.php )

are quite expensive, they still cost a lot less time and money than
dyeing stuff in the conventional manner. One may also easily dye small
amounts of material easily and quickly, and this means that one can
produce a large range of hackles for instance, with a single grizzly
cape and the pens. Or a partridge skin, etc etc.

This is far less wasteful than dyeing capes and skins, or even a hand
full of feathers etc. Also means you need far fewer materials in
total. Often, an amateur dresser only need a dozen or so feathers of a
particular colour, or a couple of yards of coloured thread etc etc. It
is easy to make this as required using the pens.

For optimal dyeing of materials with the pens, you should still wash
and dry the materials to be dyed, as the results are a lot better.
Varios pens also give different results with regard to colour,
permanence, fastness, etc.

For anybody starting out for instance, I would definitely recommend
this method over buying loads of different coloured materials, or
dyeing stuff oneself in the conventional manner.

TL
MC
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
W. D. Grey

In article , jeff miller
writes
Mike wrote:
If you do a search on dental floss and flies you will come up with a
lot more.
It is very strong and versatile stuff.The very large array of
synthetic flosses and threads now available is a modern phenomenon. At
one time silk was used more or less universally as dressing thread. A
material like dental floss, which is extremely strong, cheap, and
could be easily manipulated and coloured was of very considerable use
to many at the time.
TL
MC

though not relevant at all...rachel once, lacking thread, replaced one
of my missing shirt buttons by sewing a new one on with dental floss.
it was a sincere and pure gift granted to me, and i still marvel at it.
she's a good cook too.

jeff

I'll bet it's the cleanest button on your shirt :-)
--
Bill Grey

Old January 25th, 2008, 11:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , jeff miller
writes

Mike wrote:

[...]

nah...food scraps...but my teeth and gums are a bit healthier whenever i
wear that shirt! g

jeff
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
rw

jeff miller wrote:
W. D. Grey wrote:

In article , jeff miller
writes

Mike wrote:

[...]

I've used dental floss (non-waxed, non-scented) to tie up a bouquet
garni when cooking Coq au Vin. Works good.

Old January 25th, 2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
jeff miller[_2_]

rw wrote:
jeff miller wrote:

W. D. Grey wrote:

In article , jeff
miller writes

Mike wrote:

[...]

likewise, rachel also has used it for stuffed pork loin and some chicken
dishes... i prefer the waxed and scented for my shirts though. g