Silly tying with floss (dental) question

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

Default Silly tying with floss (dental) question

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

to playing around tinting some dental floss to wrap as a mayfly body.

My question is simple ...why?

What traits does dental floss have that other materials lack?

If you are going to go to all the trouble to die it there must be something
very special about it ?? but what escapes my limited imagination. ( when on
considers the dozens of other 'string like' materials available in every
possible shade and tone )

Old January 16th, 2008, 11:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"Larry L" wrote in message

"Conan The Librarian" wrote

to die it there must be something

dye

Old January 17th, 2008, 12:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On Jan 16, 11:41 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
"Conan The Librarian" wrote

to playing around tinting some dental floss to wrap as a mayfly body.

My question is simple ...why?

What traits does dental floss have that other materials lack?

If you are going to go to all the trouble to die it there must be something
very special about it ?? but what escapes my limited imagination. ( when on
considers the dozens of other 'string like' materials available in every
possible shade and tone )

It was very popular at one time, because it was cheap and easily
available. It was mainly used for building up underbodies on various
patterns. The coloured silk floss and similar stuff in use was much
more expensive. It can be layered or shaped securely, and wound very
tightly indeed. There were not many materials like this available when
it was first widely used.

Asking "why" in regard to many materials used for fly-dressing, unless
they are used a a result of very specific properties is a bit
pointless. Often, the answer will be "because it was there".

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

Knew I had some references somewhere;

http://books.google.com/books?id=Cc6...xTSJzgWUtCrAN4

http://books.google.com/books?id=zaP...MAw-zI4RnUH1uM

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feat...es/part88.html

If you do a search on dental floss and flies you will come up with a
lot more.

It is very strong and versatile stuff.The very large array of
synthetic flosses and threads now available is a modern phenomenon. At
one time silk was used more or less universally as dressing thread. A
material like dental floss, which is extremely strong, cheap, and
could be easily manipulated and coloured was of very considerable use
to many at the time.

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"Mike" wrote

Asking "why" in regard to many materials used for fly-dressing, unless
they are used a a result of very specific properties is a bit
pointless. Often, the answer will be "because it was there".

Although I'm certain you are right about the most common answer,

I think that choice of materials is a key factor in all design, including
flies ....

Old January 17th, 2008, 12:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On Jan 17, 12:21 am, "Larry L" wrote:
"Mike" wrote

Asking "why" in regard to many materials used for fly-dressing, unless
they are used a a result of very specific properties is a bit
pointless. Often, the answer will be "because it was there".

Although I'm certain you are right about the most common answer,

I think that choice of materials is a key factor in all design, including
flies ....

That is undoubtedly true, but one is always limited to what is
available. There are just more things available nowadays.

At the time it was popular, it was the best available material for the
job. It is still used for blow lines, and a few other things.

TL
MC
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:44 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeff miller[_2_]

Mike wrote:

If you do a search on dental floss and flies you will come up with a
lot more.

It is very strong and versatile stuff.The very large array of
synthetic flosses and threads now available is a modern phenomenon. At
one time silk was used more or less universally as dressing thread. A
material like dental floss, which is extremely strong, cheap, and
could be easily manipulated and coloured was of very considerable use
to many at the time.

TL
MC

though not relevant at all...rachel once, lacking thread, replaced one
of my missing shirt buttons by sewing a new one on with dental floss. it
was a sincere and pure gift granted to me, and i still marvel at it.
she's a good cook too.

jeff
Old January 17th, 2008, 02:56 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Conan The Librarian

Larry L wrote:

My question is simple ...why?

My answer is even simpler: Why not? :-)

What traits does dental floss have that other materials lack?

That's what I'm trying to find out. :-)

If you are going to go to all the trouble to die it there must be something
very special about it ?? but what escapes my limited imagination. ( when on
considers the dozens of other 'string like' materials available in every
possible shade and tone )

Rather than go out and try to buy up every possible shade and tone,
I like the idea of just tinting (coloring with a waterproof marker) it
myself as I need it. I also like that it seems to form nice segmented
bodies very easily. If it also floats well and is durable, then it's
a good alternative to some of the other stuff folks use for dry fly
bodies such as biots and quills.

The bigger question might be: Why do any of us use biots or quills
for bodies? Why do some guys go to craft stores and root around in
the yarn or the feathers? Why do some guys save the fur from their
dogs or cats for tying?

Chuck Vance (because ... just because)
Old January 17th, 2008, 03:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly, rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Conan The Librarian

Mike wrote:

If the flies are treated with a decent floatant, and have decent
hackles etc,then they float well enough. I can't say I noticed any
difference between waxed and unwaxed in this regard. Latterly I always
used unwaxed anyway. I have not tested it, but I would expect the
waxed stuff to float better initially at least, as it is simply more
waterproof.

That was my expectation as well.

The main problem with colouring the waxed stuff is that quite a few
floatants just dissolve the colour off it. If you use liquid "dip"
type floatants, this can cause other problems as well, When you dip
other flies in it, they get coloured by it! The colour does not
actually soak in to the waxed stuff, as you have noticed, it just
colours the wax on the surface.

Got it. I pre-treat my flies with Watershed, and while it didn't
seem to dissolve any of the color, it did alter it a bit. (In a good
way, as it turned out, as it made the yellow look more like a
"sulphur" yellow, which is what I was after.)

I'll test them on the water as soon as I get a chance to see how
they float, and how they react to Frog's Fanny, which is the only
onstream "floatant" I use.

Thanks for all the links you provided as well. I've been searching
some myself, but that made it a lot easier for me.

Chuck Vance