Worm fly

Old January 14th, 2008, 03:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
daytripper

Default Worm fly

On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 17:36:46 -0600, Ken Fortenberry
wrote:

salmobytes wrote:

Here's another worm fly ...

Dude.

hilarious!
Old January 14th, 2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Mike[_6_]

On Jan 14, 12:19 am, salmobytes wrote:
On Jan 13, 3:23 pm, rw wrote:

Mike wrote:
http://tinyurl.com/24bu4g

Should work for bass and other flies which feed on various marine
worms.

TL
MC

Nice fly.

I've heard that some people used frayed polypropylene rope (without a
hook) to catch toothy gar. Whether you want to call that a fly is up to you.

Here's another worm fly I have a lot of fun with.
....fun because it catches a lo to of fish, and fun because it of
what it does to so many fundamentalist fly fishing purists
(I love watching them squirm, I can't help it).http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...tendrigh/Worms...

I have tried such worms for various things, but the more or less plain
soft plastic worm you show there never worked well for me, and they
are also not very robust either. ( I have used similar soft plastic
worms with waggle tails, and also soft plastic fish etc, for cod,
perch, pike, zander and various other species) I have not used them on
a trout stream, not because of any "ethical" considerations, but
simply because I never needed to, and in most places I fish in
Germany it would not be allowed anyway. Like you, I can see no
intrinsic difference in using one synthetic/artificial lure over
another.

The worm shown at the URL I gave is a specific imitation of a ragworm,
( Nereis (Neanthes) virens), a marine worm very common around UK and
some other European coastlines. The major problems with various
existing patterns, or indeed plastic and other worms, is that they
invariably fail miserably to imitate the action of the natural worm
very well, and they are also not very robust. Some are also more or
less impossible to cast using a fly-line. Many of the lures people
make up for this are "one fish flies".

At certain times of year, these worms swarm in large numbers to breed.
They swim in large loose groups in open water, and the fish can become
completely preoccupied with them. They will also take fish at other
times, and the natural worm is a very popular bait for many fish
species.

Years ago, such things were usually referred to as "Lures". Using the
term "fly" for practically anything artificial attached to a hook is a
fairly new phenomenon. Also quite pointless trying to define what a
fly is when the term is used in such a generic fashion.

I would also not refer to the plastic worm you show as a "fly", but
simply because I consider the term in this context to be a complete
misnomer.

For me, a "fly" is anything that purports to imitate a winged insect.
In most cases I use other terms for various lures, or indeed the term
lure itself. There are plenty of excellent, accurate and widely
recognisable terms for various things, and a host of subdivisions as
well, fly, nymph, streamer, emerger, popper, wobbler, etc etc

People conflate the meaning of the term "fly-fishing", with whatever
they happen to have on the end of the leader, but these things are
separate and distinct.

Fly-fishing is using a line to carry a lure to the fish in some way,
regardless of what that lure is. Anything which does not use a line
to cast the lure, or relies on intrinsic weight, etc is not fly
fishing.

One may use various flies on various tackle, but unless the line is
used to carry them, then this is not fly-fishing. One may also use
spinner baits on floats etc, but nobody would then call this spin-
fishing, simply because it it isnīt!.

If one wishes to be a purist, then one must be clear about oneīs
purism. "Dry fly fishing" , is using a floating artificial fly and a
fly line to catch fish. Artificial nymph fishing, is precisely what
it says, as is wet fly or streamer fly fishing. There is no need at
all to conflate and confuse all these things, but people do it
anyway!

TL
MC
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Sal Monella

Ken Fortenberry wrote:
salmobytes wrote:

Here's another worm fly ...

Dude.

Calling it a fly is a bit of a stretch, I guess.
I do use fish with them, occasionally.
.....I forgot to mention its name: the Don Juan Worm.
Old January 14th, 2008, 02:47 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

On Jan 14, 6:41 am, Sal Monella wrote:
Ken Fortenberry wrote:
salmobytes wrote:

Here's another worm fly ...

Dude.

Calling it a fly is a bit of a stretch, I guess.
I do use fish with them, occasionally.
....I forgot to mention its name: the Don Juan Worm.

Ah, for what (very) little it's worth: Sal Monella is also known
as While-One, who is the same as salmobytes.