lead tape

Old January 15th, 2008, 08:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_40_]

Default lead tape

Wolfgang;104388 Wrote:
"leadhead" wrote in message

Just to clarify, the lead is for making thin,tapered underbodies such

as
w/zonkers. I am not a big fan of lead either, that is why in my

original
thread I said "or similar". The problem is,where do you find a

material
that has the properties of lead but isn't lead?

Well, anything that has all the properties of lead IS lead. Thus, the
answer to your question is.....nowhere.

The good news is that there is no application in fly tying that
absolutely
requires lead. Copper foil is readily available is craft supply stores
and
can be substituted for lead in many applications.

Of course, copper isn't exactly non-toxic either. But it's not as bad
as
lead. But it isn't as heavy or as malleable as lead either.

Gold, on the other hand, is heavy, highly stable, and very malleable.

Wolfgang

Speaking of gold...I just went to Ramsey Outdoors to get some tungston
gold beads and they were 20 for $7.95. 40 cents a piece seems a little
high doesn't it?

Cdog

--
Corndog

Old January 16th, 2008, 02:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
leadhead[_7_]

I always forget about checking in the craft stores first.

c dog, I've always found Ramsey to be pricey but they usually have
what you need. If I need something fast, I'll stop there. Otherwise I
look for better deals online.

lh

--
leadhead
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:08 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Jan 11, 10:24 am, leadhead
wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get lead tape(strips) or similar.

thanks,

lh

--
leadhead

We sell the match book strips at the fly shop I work at. Just float me
an e-mail or send a request to adam at anglersandarchery.com via the e-
mail link, and we'll get you hookd up.
Old February 12th, 2008, 04:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Jan 11, 10:24 am, leadhead
wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get lead tape(strips) or similar.

thanks,

lh

--
leadhead

I use it to tie flies. It doesn't work very well for wrapping on the
line like it was created for.
Old February 15th, 2008, 07:18 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
dale rushby[_2_]

try this guy online i know he had some of the thinnest sheets you can
get dont know his stock levels but hes always been very helpful to
me....

--
dale rushby
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Lushy

Any one tried to make Lead jigheads that you can now buy for soft plastic
lures? Would be a lot cheaper then the brought ones I think.
Lushy in AU
"dale rushby" wrote in message

try this guy online i know he had some of the thinnest sheets you can
get dont know his stock levels but hes always been very helpful to
me....

--
dale rushby
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 15th, 2008, 01:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_22_]

Making lead jig heads is too much work for me anymore, but making custom
jigs has some advantages. The Czechs now make molded lead bodies for
Czech nymphs to make very dense bodies, so this discussion has some
application to flies!

First, you can use quality hooks and get much more effective jigs. A
lot of the ones you buy have cheap hooks that bend easily and aren't
very sharp.

You can also get a wider variety of weight and hook size combinations.

The down side is working with lead. I used to splice lead sheathed
power cables years ago so I am a little sensitive. Many lead alloys
have toxic components like arsenic and cadmium that come off when you
melt it. Be careful - molten lead is toxic and you don't want to spill
it.

Like most do-it-yourself jobs whether you save money or not depends on
how many jigs you go through. Have to buy the solder pot and molds
first and then the materials. Can only get back the start-up cost if
you pour a lot of jigs.

--
JeffK
Old February 15th, 2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

I have been trying to get away from using lead.
But I haven't succeeded 100%
I (still) make lead jig heads with wire and super glue.
I use jig hooks I get from Minnesota, and then wrap
the front of the hook with lead wire until the wire
lump has the shape of a round or semi-round jig head.
Then I soak it with super glue and there it is.

Old February 15th, 2008, 10:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
coolkyle[_5_]

Pacific salmon, and probably Atlantic+Great Lakes salmon go BONKERS for
a slowly twitched jig with marabou or rabbit tied on it. Last
September I had many good days catching 5lb pink salmon on jigs in
black, purple, pink, white, or olive. Olive is my secret salmon jig
color, and I'm only telling you guys because you live in the Northeast.
I put pink, red, or gold flashabou on all of them as well. Sorry to
change the topic, but all this jig talk made me miss salmon fishing a
bit.

--
coolkyle