Striper flies.

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:27 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Alex

Default Striper flies.

I have a problem. In the last month I'll be in the middle of a bunch of
feeding stripers, throw a white bucktail fly that I tied and can't get bit.
I have one about 2" and one about 3". The fish are eating shad the same
size. Usually when I throw a 2" grub on 6 lb line I'll catch them. These
are fish from 5 to 15 lbs. What do I tie and how do I fish it. Thanks.

Old December 30th, 2007, 05:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
salmobytes

On Dec 30, 10:27 am, "Alex" wrote:
I have a problem. In the last month I'll be in the middle of a bunch of
feeding stripers, throw a white bucktail fly that I tied and can't get bit.
I have one about 2" and one about 3". The fish are eating shad the same
size. Usually when I throw a 2" grub on 6 lb line I'll catch them. These
are fish from 5 to 15 lbs. What do I tie and how do I fish it. Thanks.

Throw a 2" grub?
They are a bit heavy...but still castable.
You can also lop off the front half of the grub,
which makes it a bit more castable.

You can thread crystal flash sideways through the grub
body too, in order to jazz it up a bit.

On severely windy days in the Bahamas, I still like
to chase bonefish. It's just harder: you have to spot them
downwind and cast downwind...but the lighting window
is seldom in synch with the wind window. In other words
it's common to (barely) see the fish at 3:00 o'clock, when you're
only able to cast to 9:00 o'clock.

On days like that, most Bahamian guides throw in the towel
and find a mud in 10-15' of water, and tell their clients
to throw white or chartruese "grubs" into the mud, using
a spinning rod. Those guys tend to catch a bonefish
every 2nd or 3rd cast, all day long. I'd rather fight the wind
and still wade the flats. But it does tell you something about
"grubs" fished a depths not-so-easy-to-reach with fly gear.

Old December 30th, 2007, 08:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"Alex" wrote in message
I have a problem. In the last month I'll be in the middle of a bunch of
feeding stripers, throw a white bucktail fly that I tied and can't get bit.
I have one about 2" and one about 3". The fish are eating shad the same
size. Usually when I throw a 2" grub on 6 lb line I'll catch them. These
are fish from 5 to 15 lbs. What do I tie and how do I fish it. Thanks.

I'd try a Clouser Minnow. They will catch pretty much any thing that has
fins and is predatory. I've caught trout on them.

A couple of sites that might be helpful:

http://www.stripersurf.com/FG_clouser.html

http://www.clouserflyfishing.com/

Good luck,

Op

Old December 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Randyflycaster

I know the feeling. Stripers are finicky eaters. I usually fish
deceivers. If I want to fish below the surface I use a sinking-line. I
don't like to fish deceivers, because if it's windy I could easily hit
myself, or hit the rod tip and break it.

I saw a video, where the anglers says he retrieves using two long
strips, followed by two shorter ones.

I'll try it next spring.

Randy Kadish

--
Randyflycaster
Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
hoofinit

On Dec 30 2007, 12:27*pm, "Alex" wrote:
I have a problem. *In the last month I'll be in the middle of a bunch of
feeding stripers, throw a white bucktail fly that I tied and can't get bit..
I have one about 2" and one about 3". *The fish are eating shad the same
size. *Usually when I throw a 2" grub on 6 lb line I'll catch them. *These
are fish from 5 to 15 lbs. *What do I tie and how do I fish it. *Thanks.

I agree. I would use a deciever pattern like one of lefty's. Poppvicks
candy pattern would work too.
Old January 8th, 2008, 03:20 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Fishin Technician[_19_]

I swear by the Platinum Blonde by Joe Brooks for Stripers, just
modernize it with pearl or blue green flash and eyes, simple to tye,
durable, and not costly F/T

--
Fishin Technician
Old January 8th, 2008, 05:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
quality time

Opus--Mark H. Bowen;102782 Wrote:

I'd try a Clouser Minnow. They will catch pretty much any thing that
has
fins and is predatory. I've caught trout on them.

A couple of sites that might be helpful:

'Clouser Minnow Fly Pattern - Striped Bass Fishing, Stripers, Rockfish
- StriperSurf.com - Sal****er Inshore and Surf Striped Bass Fishing'
(http://tinyurl.com/3xdbsc)

'Clouser Flyfishing - Home of the original Clouser Minnow'
(http://tinyurl.com/2qaur4)

Good luck,

Op

I agree. I catch many stripers in the Delaware River on Clousers. The
colors that seem to work best are chartreuse and white, olive and white,
and rainbow trout. I tie the rainbow trout pattern with dark olive on
top (remember the fly fishes hook point up), a thin amount of hot pink
in the middle, and a white bottom. I tie in about 6-8 strands of rainbow
colored Flashabou with the pink. I almost always use red eyes on my
Clousers, and they work admirably in size 8 up to 2/0 for me.

Don't feel the necessity to match the color to the baitfish exactly,
sometimes when the color is different it is found easier by the fish.
The points about watching your false casting are true for these flies
with their extra weight. In the river I can fish these sometimes with a
floating line, but I generally use a wet tip even though the fly is
weighted to make sure it gets down in the current.

Good Luck,
QT

--
quality time
Old January 10th, 2008, 05:39 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
hoofinit

On Jan 3, 4:26*am, hoofinit wrote:
On Dec 30 2007, 12:27*pm, "Alex" wrote:

I have a problem. *In the last month I'll be in the middle of a bunch of
feeding stripers, throw a white bucktail fly that I tied and can't get bit.
I have one about 2" and one about 3". *The fish are eating shad the same
size. *Usually when I throw a 2" grub on 6 lb line I'll catch them. *These
are fish from 5 to 15 lbs. *What do I tie and how do I fish it. *Thanks.

I agree. I would use a deciever pattern like one of lefty's. Poppvicks
candy pattern would work too.

Clouser Minnows work great in New England for Stripers too. Nice on
the flats off
Cape Cod and SE Mass. Leftty's Decievers work equally well.I have even
caught
fresh water bass on these salt water immitations when nothings working
in fresh.
Great Choices from the classic Gents that are King of the Stripers on
the Atlantic coast from RI to New Jersey.

hoofinit
Old January 10th, 2008, 08:00 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rb608

On Jan 8, 12:18*pm, quality time quality.time.
wrote:
I agree. I catch many stripers in the Delaware River on Clousers. The
colors that seem to work best are chartreuse and white, olive and white,
and rainbow trout.

A now-defunct local shop here was run by a Joe Bruce, who loved
striper fishing with a fly rod. He tied up a "Crab Clouser" that was
similar in color to a swimming blue crab. I don't have the recipe
handy, but it's likely online somewhere. He used copper flash that
gave it a nice look in the waters of the Chesapeake (& probably the
Delaware).

Joe F.
Old January 11th, 2008, 01:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
randymca

Peanut Bunker Patterns!

--
randymca