Somerset Show 2008

Old January 2nd, 2008, 11:02 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_35_]

Default Somerset Show 2008

To get back on topic...

I just got my FF Show flier in the mail today and the only guys
scheduled for this year to do seminars that I've seen before are Ed
Engle, Ozzie, and Berry Beck.

Are there any other guys you would recommend that are good speakers and
won't put me to sleep?

Joe D, You going to be there this year?

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old January 3rd, 2008, 08:05 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_29_]

Corndog;103066 Wrote:
To get back on topic... Cdog

I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he fire six
shots or only five?' Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement.

But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the
world, and would blow your head clean off, you gotta ask yourself one
question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

What is the topic.. and does it really matter???

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
*J-E-T-S Vice Chair Bring Back Rich Kotite as H.C. Comm.*
*(Former RSN) Chairman of Don't Sign A-Rod Committee*
*::16 - 0 Incontaminatus::*
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:46 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_36_]

AKSkim;103104 Wrote:
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he fire six
shots or only five?' Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement.

But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the
world, and would blow your head clean off, you gotta ask yourself one
question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

What is the topic.. and does it really matter???

Thanks AK (winner of the most useless posts on the inet),

I can always count on your input and insite to benefit me greatly. Now
I know exactly which seminars to attend at the FF Show. :dizzy:

It might be beneficial to us here at NEFF if you cut back on the number
of bottles of Mexican **** with a lime you force down each day.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
lestrout

rct - some power shopping tactics that might work for you - if you are
more interested in selection than price, go early, especially Friday.
During the weekend seminars and demos, the booths are usually a tad
less crowded if you want some one-on-one with a vendor.

If price is your biggest consideration, stay late on Sunday, just
before folks start packing up. If the day is light, because of snow
or whatever, this may be as early as noon. Keep in mind that the
vendors, especially the ones from far away and the ones who are not
going on directly to the next show, don't want to cart a bunch of
stuff home. So they may be willing to give you a better show price,
especially if you show interest in getting more than one item with
them.

tl
les

Old January 3rd, 2008, 04:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Future Fanatic[_13_]

AKSkim;103104 Wrote:
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he fire six
shots or only five?' Well to tell you the truth, I forgot myself in all
this excitement.

But being as this is a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the
world, and would blow your head clean off, you gotta ask yourself one
question: 'Do I feel lucky?' Well, do ya, punk?

What is the topic.. and does it really matter???

A great post from April 2006:

AKSkim "

Lad's, listen to me, I started reading these posts from last night and
today.
One last item, for those who feel complelled to quote movie lines to
make a point, I would rather spend my time reading your (original)
thoughts and not ones from a movie. Because it is your opinions that I
care to read.

--
Future Fanatic

John
Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout
in the milk.--Henry David Thoreau
Old January 3rd, 2008, 05:05 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_37_]

Future Fanatic;103148 Wrote:
A great post from April 2006:

AKSkim "

Lad's, listen to me, I started reading these posts from last night and
today.
One last item, for those who feel complelled to quote movie lines to
make a point, I would rather spend my time reading your (original)
thoughts and not ones from a movie. Because it is your opinions that I
care to read.

John,

Since you brought up the point...What is your opinion of the NJ FF Show
and the speakers that are doing seminars? Can you recommend any of the
fresh water fly fishermen that will be conducting seminars? I'm
familiar with Ozzie, Ed Engel, and Berry Beck, but none of the others.

Thx,
Cdog

--
Corndog
Old January 3rd, 2008, 07:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_30_]

I am flattered !!!

Then again Buckwheat has saved each and every single post I ever wrote
to this board and I surmise from a few others.

...and who said Buckwheat wasn't a fan of O'l AK's... !!! ???

As always, the -"Great"- AK has spoken.

Old January 3rd, 2008, 09:45 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_15_]

I'm guessing the speakers are all pretty good - get to the room early
for any talk you are interested in. Here's my take on a few of the guys
I have seen/know:

Gary Borger - Legend and fish magnet - his talks will be popular and
good. Get a seat early.
Jim Freda - One of top guides on Jersey Shore. Knows his sal****er
stuff. Explains seasonal striper patterns better than anyone I have
every seen
Ben Turpin - Young, folksy guide and good fisherman. Based in Poconos,
but guides around State College a lot too. Used to live near Belvidere
and knows Pequest very well. If you see him guiding on the Little
Lehigh or Pequest watch what he does. If you can peek into his fly box
do so.
Ken Tutalo - Owner Baxter House in Roscoe and knows his Catskills/Upper
Delaware stuff. No slouch in NJ either. (he should be at Hacklebarneys
1/10/08 meeting)
Mike Lawson - Good guy. Hope Blue Ribbon Flies has a booth because they
have the best wild bird soft hackles and deer hair I have ever used.
Used to be my first stop every year (TroutHunter for CDC was my second
stop). Originator of some real good patterns and a nice guy.
Bob Popovics - NJ sal****er fly legend. His flies work.
Ken Reinard - the colonial angler. If you are interested in fishing
history this is a talk for you. He usually has a booth if you miss his
presentation.

Usually the guys on the circuit are good - if you see something of
interest to you go early to get a seat. Some of the less famous guys
are valuable because they can give you a quirky, road less traveled
view. Last year a guy was pushing a book on streamer fishing Lake
Winipesaukee. Not most exciting talk, but a different take on things
and I learned a few tricks that have served me well.

--
JeffK
Old January 4th, 2008, 12:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Future Fanatic[_14_]

AKSkim;103166 Wrote:
I am flattered !!!

Then again Buckwheat has saved each and every single post I ever wrote
to this board and I surmise from a few others.

...and who said Buckwheat wasn't a fan of O'l AK's... !!! ???

As always, the -"Great"- AK has spoken.

Gosh! I hadn't noticed that it was a quote from you! I thought it was
just from some Irish implant that had some sort of aversion to guys who
quote movies! I guess the fact that you stopped throwing around the
whole "Laddie this" and Laddie that" shtick, threw me off. HUH! I would
have never guessed that he would wind up doing the very thing he seemed
to deride. AK, you are just one walking dichotomy!(Oxymoron intended)

By the way, I don't have to save ANYONE'S posts; DC does that for all
of us.

Old January 4th, 2008, 06:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_31_]

Proof positive winter Buckwheat is thin shelled. O-Tay...