Glo Bugs

Old December 19th, 2007, 11:51 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_18_]

Default Glo Bugs

rford;101900 Wrote:
CDOG,

Just curious, when you see this activity in the vast expanse of FFO
water in NJ do you every bust the guys?

ralph

I used to but learned quickly that it does no good with most people.

Headstrong about doing things their way. lol I guess I'm no different.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_19_]

None of you commented on my main point.

Everyone knows these trout will hit glo bugs. So where's the
challenge? Are you looking for a challenge or just out there to catch
fish?

How many of you have imitation liver pellets in your fly boxes? If not
why??? That's what these fish spend most of their lives eating.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old December 20th, 2007, 12:36 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

Corndog wrote:

How many of you have imitation liver pellets in your fly boxes? If not
why??? That's what these fish spend most of their lives eating.

I call them Purina Trout Chow imitations. Some people call them sucker eggs.

Old December 20th, 2007, 06:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rford[_3_]

Corndog;101950 Wrote:
None of you commented on my main point.

Everyone knows these trout will hit glo bugs. *So where's the
challenge*? Are you looking for a challenge or just out there to catch
fish?

How many of you have imitation liver pellets in your fly boxes? If not
why??? That's what these fish spend most of their lives eating.

Cdog

Actually for a stocked trout going into a stocked stream I agree that
the first part of their lives are 100 % pellets, and occasionally eggs
are part of their Hatchery experience, but once they are in a stream
especially a NJ stocked stream they will get very little opportunity to
eat eggs, as do wild trout.

Eggs are a seasonal bonus, kind of the thanksgiving for fish whether
they are cannibalizing there own species eggs or targeting sucker spawn.
If trout/salmon relied on eggs to eat, they would all die of
starvation.

We all know that 90 % of their diet is Nymphs. So in reality fishing
with nymph's is really the ultimate artificial bait, and given your
logic CD, where is the challenge in presenting a fish with a nymph,
their staple diet on a mono leader, leaded up just right to sink like a
rock and then bottom bounce it right into the main dinning hall?

I really think the challenge is getting a fish to eat something that
forces them out of there comfort zone. Risk / Reward

Traditional Salmon fishing is about getting fish to take something when
they are not feeding at all, and that something spey style fly
(streamer) is about as old school as it gets.

Dry fly fishing is target practice at it finest.

Nymphing and the various Nymphing techniques are artificial bait
fishing at it utmost and the closest thing to bait fishing we do with a
fly rod. It also has the highest accidental snag rate, unless you can
see the fish and are so skilled you can drift that "bait, i mean nymph )
right into its mouth.

Unless of course I'm in Alaska using plastic beads (see beeko) when the
Rainbows are selectively eating sockeye eggs, then its ok and its fly
fishing
I didn't spend all that money to get skunked now did I?

ralph

--
rford
Old December 20th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_12_]

Not to be all crazy , but here is a historic viewpoint prompted by
Ralph's astute comments. Thaddeus Norris in the 1864 classic the
American Anglers Book was commenting about flyfishing in high water and
said you could take a nymphy looking soft hackle, weight it with a lead
buckshot, and drift it under a float and catch fish (sounds familiar).
But, then added that he didn't care to do so since it was really bait
fishing with a fly. His answer seemed to be using a palmer hackled fly
that didn't look too far removed from a wooley bugger tied on a big
heavy hook as the point with more natural looking soft hackles as the
droppers.

We all make our own decisions about how we like to fish.

It also seems these decisions are also based on how much money we spent
to go fishing, how big the targeted fish is, who is looking, and how
frustrated we are. Everyone has a price.

--
JeffK
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_15_]

Rick Hafele in his latest article published in the recent issue of
American Angler started off his piece with this line.

-*"Fly fishing, as its name implies, involves imitating various types
of aquatic insects."*-

Ah what the heck, why spoil a good thread eh?

Please do continue on with the bashing.

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
*(Former RSN) Chairman of Don't Sign A-Rod Committee*
*::14 - 0::*
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_21_]

That being said, I have articles from various fly Fishing magazines in
fishing egg imitations.

--
pmjasper
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_13_]

I suppose I cheat with my Silver Doctors, Ausable Wulffs and Royal
Coachmen because I have never seen a hatch of any of them. There are
more definitions of fly fishing than one can shake a rod at.
Match-the-hatch is certainly an honorable and now dominant form of fly
fishing, but I don't think it is the only one.

I once got into a heated argument at the old Muskie No-Kill since I
was using a rod with single foot guides. The other guy's contention was
that fly rods must only use snake guides and fishing with Hendrickson
dry flies, a standard DT line and leader, and a Pfleuger Medalist reel
could under no circumstances be construed as fly fishing if single foot
guides were used on the rod (for full disclosure I was using a 12 ft two
handed rod I built about 15 years ago on a lark (couldn't find a two
handed rod in the local stores in those days, and decided to check out a
12' rod and single foot guides for the first time) and it did look like
an odd duck to conventional fly guys not used to seeing those long rods.
When asked why it was not a fly rod, the only thing the complainer
could offer was the single foot guide thing). It was one of many times
I wished a CO had wandered by. (BTW, he was using a cone-head orange
muddler that I could have cast across the Delaware with my spinning
rod).

I think it is time to take the fly fishing definition to the US Supreme
Court for a definitive answer!

--
JeffK
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_17_]

pmjasper;102032 Wrote:
That being said, I have articles from various fly Fishing magazines in
fishing egg imitations.

They simply don't count.

As always, what does the barber say..."NEeeeXT."

#1 in posts scrubbed
Old December 20th, 2007, 09:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_22_]

Who knew my question about glo bugs would spark such controversy?

--
pmjasper