New fly tying season: what to work on?

Old November 29th, 2007, 08:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
spittendrigh

Default New fly tying season: what to work on?

On Nov 29, 12:36 pm, JeffK wrote:
I still can't get the wiggle I'd like.

These *might* be helpful:

http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...rds-Ghost.html
http://montana-riverboats.com/Pages/...y-To-Fish.html
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:23 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_16_]

spittendrigh;100216 Wrote:
On Nov 29, 12:36 pm, JeffK wrote:
I still can't get the wiggle I'd like.

These *might* be helpful:

'Halfords-Ghost' (http://tinyurl.com/2kqhzz)
'Ready-To-Fish' (http://tinyurl.com/3yvcly)

OMG! Finally!!! I can fish a crankbait on my fly rod.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old November 29th, 2007, 10:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
JeffK[_10_]

Maybe give them a try too. Looks an awful lot like the flyrod Flatfish
or Little Ikes of my youth. Some of them were only about 3/4".

--
JeffK
Old November 30th, 2007, 03:28 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
theartoflee[_11_]

For me I am almost always looking for the next best big streamer tube
fly or night pattern. I consider these flys to be what I call
R.C.(Remote Control) flys because of the action and water that they
displace. I feel like when I tell these flys to do something they really
do it. Often times some patterns sit so high in column they appear as
though they are mini motor boats.

As of late I have been into Strip Leeches and articulated flys. I know
some may consider these flys to be bait fishing but I enjoy tying them
up so much why not fish them.

--
theartoflee

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever.
Old November 30th, 2007, 04:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_17_]

theartoflee;100256 Wrote:
For me I am almost always looking for the next best big streamer tube
fly or night pattern. I consider these flys to be what I call
R.C.(Remote Control) flys because of the action and water that they
displace. I feel like when I tell these flys to do something they really
do it. Often times some patterns sit so high in column they appear as
though they are mini motor boats.

As of late I have been into Strip Leeches and articulated flys. I know
some may consider these flys to be bait fishing but I enjoy tying them
up so much why not fish them.

Yup bait. But, no different than glow bugs and egg imitations.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old November 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"JeffK" wrote

My quest is to get nymphs to wiggle like the real ones. When I throw
live nymphs into a stream the trout come running and grab them
aggressively. My patterns will take fish, but don't get the positive
takes a real live bug gets. BTW, dead nymphs seem to be a turn-off -
it's the wiggle that seems to draw them in. The plastic cones work OK
for streamers and very large nymphs, but for size 14 and under nymphs I
still can't get the wiggle I'd like.

This is a size 14 Damsel Nymph ... you can get the lips from Cabela's
....worked well in it's only trial ( warm water )

http://www.kimshew.com/BFP/fly6.jpg

Old November 30th, 2007, 06:16 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"spittendrigh" wrote

still-outstanding and unresolved design problems are?
What the most important fish foods that don't have a satisfactory
imitation yet?

I don't think this is the type thing you are looking for

but

the most consistent failures I encounter revolve around "Tiny Fall Baetis"
Each day in the late season has a hour or so when the baetis are crawling
all over your waders, fish are feeding like crazy, and only a few can be
caught .... never with that "problem solved" feeling. I "think" the
fish key on subsurface spinners, egg layers awash, but I've tried every
pattern I've seen and made up a few myself ... none worked with that
mentioned efficiency of a "solution"

um ... the name calling has gotten too complicated recently ... I think
these bugs may be called "pseudos" in your area ...

-------

pre-hatch periods of Brown Drakes need work ... a wiggly nymph

-----

FLOATING nymphs for use with extra fast sinking lines in a mode similar to
the Brit's Booby flies are need for stillwater anglers ... this tactic works
very well, is little known in the US and I have NEVER seen a commercial fly
designed for the tactic in a brick and motor fly shop ... even shop's near
destination stillwaters

--------

any and all design improvements to "float" a fly IN the film, ideally
causing a visible bump in the film without anything showing above it, or
sinking so low that the bump goes away .... MY experience suggests this it
the number one uno most killer float possible, but it's nearly impossible
:-) ..... we're talking #14-#20 flies here and a whole new design
approach/ materials choice to suggesting a wide variety of Mr Trout's
favorite meals.

Old November 30th, 2007, 10:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
spittendrigh

On Nov 30, 11:16 am, "Larry L" wrote:
um ... the name calling has gotten too complicated recently ... I think
these bugs may be called "pseudos" in your area ...

I call those late season itty bitties "pseudo klingons"
In late September there are hatches of BWO like things, but
they are so small the bigger fish often seem to ignore them.

Later on, say mid-October, when the real BWO hatch starts,
the fishing can be spectacular. But what seems to matter most
is the fisherman, and not so much the fly. My buddy John (aka Duke)
out-fishes me and everyone else 5-1. Somedays he uses little dry
flies. Some days itty beadheads. Some days softhackles.
John keeps his secrets pretty close to his fly box. But I think he
just changes flies until something works. But he has more than
that......some deep seated lazer beam juju emanating from the
lower brain stem seems to be involved.

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:13 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

"spittendrigh" wrote in message
[...]

-

The days I speak of usually have both types of flies around ... it may be
the "true" baetis that cause me to pull my hair, not sure ... and I've been
at Silver Creek when I was most humbled

deep seated juju is, sadly, not in my arsenal

I met a guy from Colorado that "claimed" to be getting a hit on "every cast"
during the period/activity that mostly eludes me ... wouldn't show me his
fly, or tell me what ingedients it contained, or what bug he felt it
suggested, he kept "his secrets pretty close to his fly box." but I
remember his name as Blaine not John G . Blaine did let slip, then seem
irritated with himself, that he was using #22 hooks. I never saw him on
the water, but I really, really, really, yes, really, doubt his "every cast"
claim G

Good to see ya posting Sandy. do you sell boat plans? I met another guy
and his son from Minnesota or Michigan up at the Missouri in Montana ( lot
of damn "m" states aren't there ) with a lovely drift boat he had built from
plans he got from "someone in the Boseman area" ..... I'm not a boat kinda
guy ( 'cept duckboats ) but it was a thing of beauty

Old November 30th, 2007, 11:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
spittendrigh

On Nov 30, 4:13 pm, "Larry L" wrote:
[...]

I do sell boat plans (http://montana-riverboats.com) and I do live in
Bozeman.
Jason Cajune also sells plans and kits. Jason lives near Livingston.
He's a good friend and an amazing boat builder. So it could be him
too.
You won't find me saying any thing bad about Jason. He's a good
friend.