Sometimes Catching Fish Isn't About Your Fishing Method

Old December 11th, 2007, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

Default Sometimes Catching Fish Isn't About Your Fishing Method

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

I'd love to cast a two handed salmon rod.!

You don't =have= to wait for a chance at a salmon to use double hander.

OT
I use one in the sea sometimes and they can be useful for pike too. In a
tideway with a decent shoal of fish in front of you you want to get the fly
out there again before the shoal moves.

A Spey is great for getting the fly out again as long as there isn't a fish
already on. If you're getting one a chuck you discover that Spey casting is
much more about casting than about catching fish.

And with pike you find that the standard advice to release a yard of line,
count to three and tighten is a sure way to fail. Instead strike hard or
the hook won't move among all those teeth until the fish decides it tastes
wrong and ejects it.
/OT

Then when you can eventually afford a squillion quid to stand up to your
armpits in melting ice you have to unlearn the above.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old December 11th, 2007, 06:13 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
I'd love to cast a two handed salmon rod.!

You don't =have= to wait for a chance at a salmon to use double hander.

You're getting ahead of me Derek. I'm not interested in salmon or any
other fish - I just would like to cast a two handed rod.

Happy Xmas
--
Bill Grey

Old December 11th, 2007, 08:37 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
writes
I'd love to cast a two handed salmon rod.!

You don't =have= to wait for a chance at a salmon to use double hander.

You're getting ahead of me Derek. I'm not interested in salmon or any
other fish - I just would like to cast a two handed rod.

Er, yes. Actually I forgot to tell you to scrape the worst of the fish
scales off the corks before taking it on an upmarket beat - some people
don't understand you know.

As for the casting you just waggle it around a lot and hit the forward cast
a bit harder than you'd expect. You don't actually do anything you couldn't
do with a single hander. Admittedly the long rod gives you more time to set
the line up...

for eg the double spey with a #10 and a 15' rod....
....this way, that way, swing the loop behind lift the rod and punch as
opposed to whipwhipswishwhip which is how it goes with a 6' #4.

Happy Xmas

Have a cool Yule,

Old December 11th, 2007, 10:12 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes
for eg the double spey with a #10 and a 15' rod....
....this way, that way, swing the loop behind lift the rod and punch as
opposed to whipwhipswishwhip which is how it goes with a 6' #4.

Yeh! Yeh. Spey cast indeed - a name invented to make someone loadsa
cash teaching gullible anglers the "correct" method.

There is soooo much hype spoken/written about the SPEY cast !!! Any
angler with half a brain will know it is pretty obvious what needs to be
done to retrieve the line and cast in the right direction.

An example of the "naming" of a particular cast reminds me of when I was
a lad. I was performing a roll cast years before I heard the name
"Roll" cast. It just naturally became part of fishing for me.
--
Bill Grey

Old December 12th, 2007, 08:45 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Yeh! Yeh. Spey cast indeed - a name invented to make someone loadsa
cash teaching gullible anglers the "correct" method.

On this occasion I'll take exception - usually you'd be right to debunk.
The Spey casts have the huge advantage of needing very little space behind
the angler which originally came from the very bushed-in banks of the river.
It's not as good as an overhead when there is room behind but it's quicker
than setting up a roll cast from scratch. I really notice the difference
when fishing in the sea with vertical rock behind: I can get an empty hook
back out much faster with a Spey but if I'm taking a fish (or a lump of
seaweed) a chuck then it's back to rolling.

You don't need lessons for the double spey, for the single it might help if
a mate videos you in action and you'll see at once where timing errors
occur.

There is soooo much hype spoken/written about the SPEY cast !!! Any
angler with half a brain will know it is pretty obvious what needs to be
done to retrieve the line and cast in the right direction.

Of I agree, the really hard part is working out which is the right directon.

An example of the "naming" of a particular cast reminds me of when I was
a lad. I was performing a roll cast years before I heard the name
"Roll" cast. It just naturally became part of fishing for me.

I have been asked 'What sort of cast do you call that?' - so there must be
some interest ;-)

Cheerio,

Old December 12th, 2007, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , Derek Moody
writes

On this occasion I'll take exception - usually you'd be right to debunk.
The Spey casts have the huge advantage of needing very little space behind
the angler which originally came from the very bushed-in banks of the river.
It's not as good as an overhead when there is room behind but it's quicker
than setting up a roll cast from scratch. I really notice the difference
when fishing in the sea with vertical rock behind: I can get an empty hook
back out much faster with a Spey but if I'm taking a fish (or a lump of
seaweed) a chuck then it's back to rolling.

Exception - why? A Spey cast /is/ a roll cast, at least it may be that
the Spey bit is just to get the line in a position to roll cast the fly
in the right direction.
--
Bill Grey

Old December 12th, 2007, 11:11 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane

W. D. Grey wrote:
In article , Derek Moody
writes

On this occasion I'll take exception - usually you'd be right to debunk.
The Spey casts have the huge advantage of needing very little space
behind
the angler which originally came from the very bushed-in banks of the
river.
It's not as good as an overhead when there is room behind but it's
quicker
than setting up a roll cast from scratch. I really notice the difference
when fishing in the sea with vertical rock behind: I can get an empty
hook
back out much faster with a Spey but if I'm taking a fish (or a lump of
seaweed) a chuck then it's back to rolling.

Exception - why? A Spey cast /is/ a roll cast, at least it may be that
the Spey bit is just to get the line in a position to roll cast the fly
in the right direction.

heh, keep it going fellers, I'm enjoying this. I've been wondering
about whether to treat meself to a double-hander for some time, as my
trout rod wouldn't last 5 mins on the river when it's up - and seeing
someone down there with such, just at the end of the season made my mind
up. Amazing easy, it looked, to roll cast a line right across the
river. At 14 ft, this is a bit bigger than I had thought best, but the
deal going on ebay was very tempting (Daiwa WF98 14ft and an Evans
Arrowhead line) - partly because my trout outtfit is a the WF98 9'6",
with - an Arrowhead line.. :+) I'm a bit fed up with chucking bits of
ironmongery around the river, haven't the time to be digging for worms,
and had decided to really give the fly a go next year.

ok, seconds out, round 2:

Old December 12th, 2007, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , Dave Lane
URL:mailto
heh, keep it going fellers, I'm enjoying this. I've been wondering
about whether to treat meself to a double-hander for some time, as my
trout rod wouldn't last 5 mins on the river when it's up - and seeing
someone down there with such, just at the end of the season made my mind
up. Amazing easy, it looked, to roll cast a line right across the
river. At 14 ft, this is a bit bigger than I had thought best, but the
deal going on ebay was very tempting (Daiwa WF98 14ft and an Evans
Arrowhead line) - partly because my trout outtfit is a the WF98 9'6",

He (Evans) used to have a how-to-do-it video which shows pretty much all
you'll need.

with - an Arrowhead line.. :+) I'm a bit fed up with chucking bits of
ironmongery around the river, haven't the time to be digging for worms,
and had decided to really give the fly a go next year.

But you'll catch more if you take it down to the swillies and cast something
about #2/0 tandem...

Cheerio,

Old December 12th, 2007, 05:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , W. D. Grey
wrote:

Exception - why? A Spey cast /is/ a roll cast, at least it may be that
the Spey bit is just to get the line in a position to roll cast the fly
in the right direction.

Yes. But for me at least, a roll cast from a standing start takes more
effort - in fact a second roll is often needed.

My main point was that just because the rod has the word 'salmon' printed on
it it doesn't mean you can't use it for something else - in fact if you want
to be well practised then far better to start on something else.

Cheerio,

Old December 12th, 2007, 06:00 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Dave Lane

Derek Moody wrote:

But you'll catch more if you take it down to the swillies and cast something
about #2/0 tandem...

ah - now yer talkin' - this is supposed to be a chrissy present from
El Presidente, and I had been wondering how to deal with the fact that I
wouldn't be able even to give it a go over water until next March (our
Olympic swimming pool has been drained for the winter) - hadn't thought
of nipping down the beach...hmmm. hmmmm

thanks for the ideas...