Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Help.

Old October 30th, 2007, 11:15 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_7_]

Default Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Help.

Thanks guys for all the helpful advice. I have never tried a dubbing
loop, so that will be something I have to practice this weekend.

Even with the points I mentioned, I don't think I'm that far off on
getting my GRHE to look fishy enough. Now I'll admit, I look at some
of the pheasant tail nymphs, copper johns, prince nymphs, etc. in the
catalogs and they are so "perfect" in their design. Last weekend, I
tied prince nymphs, pheasant tails, peeking caddis and GRHE in sizes 14
and 16 with the majority turning out pretty good looking (except for the
GHRE looking truly buggy). They are not catalog quality but I think
they resemble the fly close enough.

As far as crowding the head, that has always been something I have been
guilty of. I used to tie a lot of sal****er flies where I was able to
make a good number of successive wraps near the eye of the hook to
conceal some of the materials. I guess as I prepare the fly I'm just
not leaving enough space between where the materials should end and the
eye of the hook. Something else I will have to concentrate on this
weekend.

--
pmjasper
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_9_]

When I started tying, most of my nymphs didn't look like the pics in my
Orvis catalog. But because of the amount of time it took me to tie each
one, they went in my box anyway. Then I learned that trout will eat a
crappy looking fly too. They didn't look perfect, but were the best I
could do at the time and when a trout took one, I was the happiest guy
on the river.

Trout aren't always looking for an Orvis perfect bug all the time
anyway.
I can't begin to guess the number of times a trout has bypassed my fly
to hit my indicator.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_8_]

Thanks CDog. I'm just impressed with the ability of the professional
tiers to duplicate each fly. I looked into a #18 Copper John box at a
local fly shop and all of them, maybe 100 or so, looked exactly the
same. I tied up a few and each are close but my duplication of the
legs in the thorax section are random. Not to say they still won't
catch fish but the fact that all 100 looked pretty darn close to each
other let me know I have a lot of practice ahead of me.

--
pmjasper
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Corndog[_10_]

Yea, there identical because the Thai or African worker sits at a bench
tying the same fly all day long, day after day, for life. They tie
them all the same or they will starve.

I don't try to match the Orvis hatch anymore. Probably like some of
the other guys here, I've found a variation to the perfect GRHE that
works for me and I stick with it.

Remember, fly tying is supposed to be fun, for some more fun than
fishing, don't get frustrated with your flies until you've tried them
and have proven that fish won't eat them. You many accidently fall
into the next secret weapon.

Cdog

--
Corndog
Old October 30th, 2007, 11:54 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_9_]

You're right. Again, I'm just getting back into freshwater fly fishing
and discovering the Paulinskill and BFB. It's been fun and I can't
wait until everything starts paying off.

--
pmjasper
Old October 30th, 2007, 12:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
afishinado[_3_]

Good advice from all on tying HE nymphs. Your tying method may be okay,
but starting with the right material really helps. Most of the packaged
Hare’s Ear dubbing is just plain rabbit fur, soft fur without many guard
hairs. It just lays down on the hook shank. Buy a hare’s mask and for
dubbing your HE’s. You will find cream tan brown gray slate
black hair on the skin. You can mix and match to tie different colors
and shades, and the mask has plenty of guard hairs to give the fly a
buggy appearance. Keep the body fairly slim, but the more disheveled
and spiky it is, the better it works.

--
afishinado
Old October 30th, 2007, 01:42 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Soft-hackle

Myself, I use the Leisenring method of dubbing. It is forming a loop or
dubbing brush off the fly. This is then tied to the fly like a
chenille. To me it enables better control and distribution of the
hair, and affords a tapering of the body from light near the tail end,
to heavier near the front end. The results are as shown in a photo I
uploaded, here. Please have a look.

Mark

--
Soft-hackle
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_8_]

Corndog;97076 Wrote:
didn't look perfect, but were the best I could do at the time and when
a trout took one, I was the happiest guy on the river.... Trout aren't
always looking for an Orvis perfect bug all the time anyway. Cdog

CD:

I think you hit the nail on the head with that post.

When we all started tying flies they all looked the same.. bulky,
disproportionate it, huge, nothing what I actually intended it to look
like.... as we tied more and more our thread control, proportions, and
techniques became better. We even started turning out a fly or two that
looked like it came right off the pages of the LL Bean catalog.

Only to discover much later on... the fish actually prefers the buggy
flies we were tying a long time ago. Only smaller...

As always, tying nice ones to to look at, fishing with the crummy ones.

AK Skim

--
AKSkim

*.... People who go through life lost... and fly fisherman!*
#1 in posts scrubbed
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*
Old October 30th, 2007, 05:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
theartoflee[_9_]

Soft-hackle;97092 Wrote:
Myself, I use the Leisenring method of dubbing. It is forming a loop or
dubbing brush off the fly. This is then tied to the fly like a
chenille. To me it enables better control and distribution of the
hair, and affords a tapering of the body from light near the tail end,
to heavier near the front end. The results are as shown in a photo I
uploaded, here. Please have a look.

Mark

Mark have you ever tried splitting the thread instead of using the
dubbing loops. I recently started using the split thread technique.

Just get some UTC150 thread and a needle.. split the tread with the
needle or bodkin place the dubbing between the thread and twist that
bobbin. Works great and requires one less tool.

--
theartoflee

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever.
Old October 30th, 2007, 06:11 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_10_]

Forgive me for asking but as far as the dubbing loop technique goes,
would you wax one half of the loop to hold the dubbing before twisting?

From what I can see you,

-Form the loop and lock it into place by taking one or two thread wraps
back over the loop, then advance the thread to the eye of the hook

-Take some dubbing material and insert it in the loop along one side of
the thread

-Use a twisting tool to tightly twist the loop together and then wrap
the twisted loop around the hook shank

-Secure the twisted loop to the hook

Is this basically correct?

If so what is the basic advantage to the dubbing loop as opposed to
waxing a single downward thread adding the dubbing and then wrapping it
around the hook. Thank you.

--
pmjasper