Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Help.

Old October 29th, 2007, 11:33 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_5_]

Default Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear Help.

Hi guys.

As we know, here in NJ specifically, the Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear is an
absolute killer and might be the most widely used nymph pattern on the
trout streams. I attempted to tie a few #16's this weekend but they
came out looking horrible, not buggy at all. I attempted to pick out
some dubbing but they are so small it is difficult and will have to be
retied. Therefore, I was wondering if anyone had any links to tying the
GRHE that may help me.

I feel I have three main issues that I have to work on when tying this
patten:

First, the GRHE dubbing I have does not contain many guard hairs in it
and thus has kind of a uniform texture and color. I need to know how I
could add some hairs and dub them into the body (My dubbing technique
needs work).

Second, when dubbing the body of the fly, I wax the thread and twist
the dubbing clockwise in a fairly tight fashion, as if I don't wrap it
tight the body loses shape and wants to unravel. Also if I want to
increase the width of the fly I make two or three wraps over each
other. I'm wondering if it should be done that way or if I should just
add a great amount of dubbing to that section.

Finally, a proble that seems to affect all my flies is that i crowd the
eye of the hook making it difficult to knot in the end. It should be a
faily easy solution of just leaving a little more room near the eye of
the hook but sometimes that affects the taper of the nymph, thus I know
it's something I need to work on.

Again, if anyone has any links on tying the GRHE or tips, it would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.
!-- / message --

--
pmjasper
Old October 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Pete[_5_]

Use a dubbing loop (at least for the thorax).

If get the fur directly from a hare's mask rather than a prepackaged
dubbing mix, you can get better control of the ratio of guard hairs to
underfur.

See:
'Hare's Ear Instruct' (http://tinyurl.com/2jxtk3)

--
Pete
Old October 29th, 2007, 01:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jcstikfish[_2_]

Pete's suggestions are very good and are techniques that you definitely
want in your arsenal.

On small hooks sizes, below 14. You will also want to learn how to
touch dub using a tacky dubbing wax or even a glue stick.

Touch dubbing gives you the same effect as a dubbing loop but is faster
and does not have the added bulk of doubled thread.

Here is a visual for touch dubbing, works great and is a time saver:

'Hare and Copper Step-by-step' (http://tinyurl.com/2taec6)

As far as guard hairs in your dubbing, the Hare's Ear Plus pre-packaged
dubbing by Hairline have a nice blend and give you all the bugginess you
need.

[image: http://www.traditionalangler.com/ima...P_sm_comp.jpg]

~James

--
jcstikfish

'www.autumnbrookangling.com' (http://tinyurl.com/3869da)
Custom Flies and NJ Guide Service

'ABA Fly Fishing Journal' (http://tinyurl.com/34lzt6)
Old October 29th, 2007, 02:58 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
rw

pmjasper wrote:

Again, if anyone has any links on tying the GRHE or tips, it would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.
!-- / message --

Try this:

http://www.troutflies.com/tutorials/hares_ear/

Harry's tutorials are superb. (But I've never been able to tie a GRHE
that looks as buggy as the one illustrated there.)

BTW, I've had good success with the Skip Nymph, which is a hybrid
combining features of a Hare's Ear and a Pheasant Tail. You should give
it a try:

http://www.westcoastflyfishers.com/f...kip_nymph.html

Old October 29th, 2007, 04:07 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
pmjasper[_6_]

Thanks guys. I'll have to try these tips out.

--
pmjasper
Old October 29th, 2007, 05:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
CR[_2_]

Why not go to the International Fly Tying Symposium in two weeks, where
you can meet and watch up close some of the best fly tiers in the
world? It's really the best way to learn how to tie flies!

--
CR
Old October 29th, 2007, 07:06 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
theartoflee[_6_]

PMJasper on the Hares Ear I like Dough Swisher Rub a dub dubbing for the
thorax on Hares ear flys. It has guard hairs along with tinny rubber
legs mixed into the dubbing hence the name rub a dub.

--
theartoflee

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains
a fool forever.
Old October 29th, 2007, 08:55 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
flyman23

I know I'm not really answering your question, but I like to put about a
turn and 1/2 of soft hackle on my GRHE's. I think they fish better this
way.

--
flyman23

:fish:
Old October 29th, 2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"pmjasper" wrote in message
news
First, the GRHE dubbing I have does not contain many guard hairs in it

problem #1.....toss it away, and either find or prepare a mix that is a
tweedy brown/grey, with a goodly amount
of guard hairs in it.
You go on to mention how you are putting dubbing on the hook. I have no
links, but here's how I do it....and, it varies for large (#8-14,maybe 16),
or small (16 and down). For the big ones: after tail and ribbing are tied
in, create a dubbing loop and insert a bit of fur into it. Practice will
tell you how much, but keep it from being overstuffed. Twist loop and dub a
body with tightly abutting turns of the looped dubbing. Take this 3/5 up the
shank. Rib. Attach wingcase(optional) and then dub a fairly coarse rope of
hair/fur onto waxed thread. Crisscross layers of dubbed thread in the thorax
area, LEAVE ROOM FOR HEAD(emphasis apparently needed based on postg), tie
down case and finish with thread wraps, knot and lacquer.
For the small ones(and I find Hare's Ears useful to size #20...), I dub the
entire body. Keep the fur dubbed pretty tightly to the thread, but not
overly thick. Better to make a few more wraps and layers and pick out with a
needle than dub too loose a body. With the crisscross tying in the thorax,
you can pick out guard hairs and the shape of the thorax is maintained.
Hope this longwindedness helps some.
Tom
Finally, a proble that seems to affect all my flies is that i crowd the
eye of the hook making it difficult to knot in the end. It should be a
faily easy solution of just leaving a little more room near the eye of
the hook but sometimes that affects the taper of the nymph, thus I know
it's something I need to work on.

Again, if anyone has any links on tying the GRHE or tips, it would be
greatly appreciated. Thank you.
!-- / message --

--
pmjasper
Newsgroups
=----

Old October 29th, 2007, 09:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"theartoflee" wrote in message

PMJasper on the Hares Ear I like Dough Swisher Rub a dub dubbing for the
thorax on Hares ear flys. It has guard hairs along with tinny rubber
legs mixed into the dubbing hence the name rub a dub.

some of his newer versions of that stuff show real promise for just this
sort of thing. He is mixing in various sizes of
spandex strands, with a coarser base dubbing(looks like squirrel). Nice
stuff!
Tom