a moral story

Old October 18th, 2007, 10:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default a moral story

Hi all,

Just a few lines to say why helping people can be a pain. First I had to
live up to my recent run of luck, I mean expert judgement, in catching Bream
at my local lake. Out of the last 7 visits I have managed to land a good
handful of fish ranging from 3 to 6 lbs.

The father of one of my grandson school mate was also fishing the lake and
listening to the locals who were catching nothing but not advising of why he
was not catching as they were not catching. He listened to me and I think
assumed I was exaggerating as were the other anglers and as per the
reputation some anglers have.

So I agree to meet him at the lake as were both fishing today, he was there
first and chose a spot close enough for me to fish close and still cast to
where I know the fish are.

As I was setting up he had a very small perch and was quite happy to catch
something. Any way I set up and half an hour later I hit into a small bream
of half a pound and he thought it was big and was over the pound. Well I
have some new digital scales and showed him it was only half a pound so he
now starts to see I am telling the truth. I then proceed to haul out a few
bream to about 2 1/2 lbs and he is impressed and now ready for me to try and
help him. He is not bad lad so I take a close look and see he is using a rod
that you could play conga eels on and 15 lb line with an American hook of
about size 4. So I enlighten him on getting a softer rod, lighter line and
smaller hooks. He was using a closed end ( in line type ) feeder so I got
him over to a cage feeder and got him using my groudbait and as I could not
change his line I put a 6 lb hook length on with a real size 14. He did bump
a few fish as the rod was just too stiff.

Now I have had a love hate relationship with the tench in this lake and only
had one over the last 2 years, I have come to the conclusion that they know
it is me and just love winding me up. So when my new mate actually hits into
a decent fish I go to help to see he has a very nice tench, his first, and
he is very happy. So instead of him changing his tackle I am going to change
mine I think.VBG

It was a good day and I did a good deed, wish I had caught the tench all the
same.(;-)

--
Gandalf

Old October 20th, 2007, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:

It was a good day and I did a good deed, wish I had caught the tench all the
same.(;-)

You can't win either way. I once had a chap complain that his arms ached
after catching 30 odd decent fish (flyfishing in salt water so a bit OT
here) - the point being that I never warned him it might hurt...

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old October 20th, 2007, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Got to give the guy credit though as it seems he has been singing my praises
as much as boring everyone with his tench though. Seems you are right with
the fail / fail idea as I am in hot water with his wife as he now wants to
buy some more appropriate kit and put the picture I took of the him and the
tench on T shirts for all the family. A bit OTT me thinks.

Still I am setting myself up for the ultimate humiliation as the boys are
off school next week so I am taking then for a couple of hours whip fishing
and they have a tench out, well what can I say.VBG

My excuse is ready just in case as I think it is like the idea of women
catching more salmon due to pheromones, well tench must hate Old Spice.(;-)
Will have to get my High Karate out.

--
Gandalf

Old October 21st, 2007, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:
Got to give the guy credit though as it seems he has been singing my praises
as much as boring everyone with his tench though. Seems you are right with
the fail / fail idea as I am in hot water with his wife as he now wants to
buy some more appropriate kit and put the picture I took of the him and the
tench on T shirts for all the family. A bit OTT me thinks.

Attach you advert to the pic - your new career is only just beginning...

Still I am setting myself up for the ultimate humiliation as the boys are
off school next week so I am taking then for a couple of hours whip fishing
and they have a tench out, well what can I say.VBG

You take more 'satisfied customer' pics - and in case your new
international-fishing-guide career doesn't keep you going 7/12 you want
them really keen so they can take you in a few years time...

Cheerio,

Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Well I should have listened about taking photo's as I forgot my camera and I
had a 3 and 4 year old reminding me.

Also needed the Jaws music, not so much for size but remember the bit where
he gets the barrels in it and it swims by well someone had a pole float snap
up and as I am fishing a this pole float pops up then starts moving past
mine. I pulled at it wit then end of my whip and felt something tug it off
and it went about a yard then slowly sunk as the fish went into deeper
water, just like the film.

Only one fish caught and I think that was a wonder with all the noise the
boys were making, not really interested today I think.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:

Only one fish caught and I think that was a wonder with all the noise the
boys were making, not really interested today I think.

g One of the reasons I usually take kids to -small- streams.

Cheerio,

Old October 24th, 2007, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Finally.

2 Tench today, one at 3lb 10oz and another at 3lb 14oz. Both fought like
hell and was good fun.

So cloud ( is under me at the moment which is stupid in itself but after 1
tench in 2 years it is damn heaven to me.VBG

Worked out what I was doing wrong. instead of using a running feeder rig I
used the old loop where you tie a 12 inch long loop with a swivel to attach
the feed running in it. Then tie a small loop at the end of the big loop to
attach the hook length. Anybody remember what this is called. Basically it
is more sensitive and acts like a light bolt rig as the tench seemed to take
the maggots and run at me fast so were hooking themselves.

A cold but good day all in all and I was only out for 4 hours.