neat little trick

Old October 12th, 2007, 05:08 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Rodney Long

Default neat little trick

Guys if you cat fish in rocky areas,, you have lost a lot of rigs

Here is where you only loose the lead, take a paper clip, straighten it
out, bend an eye in one end, slip the wire through an egg weight, then
bend it over,, if the lead hangs, the paper clip straightens out,, you
just loose your lead,, not line and your hook.

While I'm at it :-)

I now only cat fish with a StandOut hook, keeping the bait right off the
bottom regardless of the water depth. I tie two StandOuts on my line
about a foot apart, with another foot of line down to my weight. I use a
tiny float a foot above the top hook which hold the bait off the bottom,
this lets the scent travel much further in the water, and the cats don't
have to dig the bait out of the muck.

When I tested these hooks and rig for cats,, I placed a standard hook
below the weight laying on the bottom,, the cats always hit the StandOut
first,(the bait right off the bottom), not saying they would not have
hit the bottom hook eventually. Another plus for this rigging method is
fishing in rocky areas,, the bait can't fall down into a rock crack
where the cats can't reach it

These hooks now come in 2/0 heavy wire, they are available on my web
site, or any well stocked tackle store.

You can read about the hook here, http://ezknot.com/SUHooks.html and see
the rig drawn out
--
SpecTastic Wiggle Rig,
Fishing lure remote control
Old October 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
astro

i like the neat little trick, good idea, beats the heck out of hoping and
praying that the fish will get ya out of the rocks if you get snagged...

and the stand out hook thing does make sense as cats are not always laying
in one spot on the bottom, and would allow for the scent to spread and
cover more area. let me know if i'm not stating the obvious.