Rotary Fly Tying Vises

Old October 7th, 2007, 06:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
John

Default Rotary Fly Tying Vises

I hate the Nor-vise. It's the most awkward thing I've ever used. ANY rotary
I've used is a better vise.
Ole Herb will give your money back - eventually and grudgingly! It took a
while and some hassle but he finally did.

Save yourself some grief. go with any recommendation but his.

John

"Jim Edmondson" wrote in message
lobal.net...
I have been fly fishing for about a year and am thinking of trying tying. I
saw some videos on the Nor-Vise rotating vise system and it looked very
interesting. A couple of questions:

For those experienced tyers out there, is having the ability to rotate the
hook as useful as it appears to a novice?

What are the downsides? One thing I thought of is with the bobbin on the
stand and the hook rotating to add body materials, the thread will twist,
is this an issue?

Are there other rotating vise systems out there in addition to the one
from Nor-Vise tha I should consider?

Thanks for any insights that you can offer.

Jim

Old October 7th, 2007, 12:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
afishinado[_2_]

I've been tying on a Renzetti traveller vise for around 15 years - from
bass bugs to midges. Yes, rotary vises are useful, and the RT is one
of the best, IMO.

--
afishinado
Old October 7th, 2007, 02:48 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Frank Reid[_2_]

I have a Renzetti presentation 3000. I love the thing. It has
plenty of room to work arround the hook. If you have large hands like me,
you will appreciate the room. It is pricy at $350 but will last a lifetime
and after all if flytying is your passion, whats money ?
Edmond Dantes

Because we're talking about a beginner here.
Frank Reid

Old October 7th, 2007, 05:36 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Tom Littleton

well, as can be seen, there are a lot of differing opinions here, regarding
rotary vises. Taking into consideration that the OP was a pure beginner, I
used to echo the advice given by another to learn on a non-rotary vise.
However, if one can afford a decent true-rotary, I would now advise to learn
from the start on it. The Renzetti traveler is a solid true-rotary to learn
on. I would very much differ from my friend Frank R, who feels the Danvise
to be superior. It isn't, to my mind. I know a couple of pros here in PA who
had, and discarded Danvises because of their clumsiness in use. They are,
IMO, poorly designed for free hand movement, and the Renzetti design is
VASTLY superior.
As for the Nor-Vise, Frank is correct here, it is not a vise for beginners.
I don't really find it a comfortable vise for me at any point in time. When
I bought my Renzetti Presentation(21 years ago), I had a choice of that one
or a Nor-Vise. I watched a demo of the latter, and was allowed to tie on it
for a few days at home, and returned it for the Renzetti. As for
long-lasting, bang-for-buck issues, I have had the Presentation since 1986,
they still honor the warranty, but I never need it. Other than replacement
jaws, I have never had anything wear out, and this includes a 10 year period
of tying 1200-1500 dozen flies per year, and at least 300 dozen every year I
have owned the thing. They are tough buggers......
Tom

Old October 7th, 2007, 09:30 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Denis Lamy

Hi Jim,

Jim Edmondson a écrit :

For those experienced tyers out there, is having the ability to rotate
the hook as useful as it appears to a novice?

Yes it is.

What are the downsides? One thing I thought of is with the bobbin on
the stand and the hook rotating to add body materials, the thread will
twist, is this an issue?

Not an issue at all. Thread will twist anyway when you get it on the hook.

Are there other rotating vise systems out there in addition to the one
from Nor-Vise tha I should consider?

I have a Dyna-King Barracuda and it can take a beating without any
problem and it hold hooks from size 24 to 2/0 (the smallest and largest
I tied) without any problem. I had others vices before, Regal and
Sunrise, and would not go back.

--
Hope to read you soon,

Denis
www.uqtr.ca/~lamyd

You'll have to eat the SPAM to E-mail
Old October 7th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
Lazarus Cooke

In article , Opus--Mark H. Bowen
wrote:

Jim,
I highly recommend the Renzetti Traveler
http://www.ezflyfish.com/rentravcamvi.html, the flyshop ain't so bad either.

Op

I also use the Renzetti Traveller. Things like this should last a
lifetime (like saucepans), and buying something good is money well
spent. You can leave it to your grandchildren in your will.

that said, I don't use it all that often any more. Many, probably most
of my trout flies are tied using a really rubbish tiny little hand-held
vice, or without a vise at all, just using my fingers.

I strongly advise you to try, from time to time, tying with just your
fingers. Even if (like me) you have cruddy arthritis, it's still very
liberating to know that you can spot a natural fly on the riverbank,
pick a hook out of your dubbing bag, and make a decent imitation with
your bare hands.

It may look rough to you, but in my experience the fish tend to find
'oddity' an attractive quality - perhaps looking like a misformed or
mishatched - and therefore vulnerable - natural.

Even though my fingers are quite crippled, I tie down to size 18.

Lazasru
Old October 8th, 2007, 01:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Fly Guy

I have tying for a few months and now I'm taking a class at a local fly
shop. If we can plug shops I will since I think they are very helpful.
If n ot pm me and I will give you the name. Jeremy

--
Fly Guy
Old October 9th, 2007, 04:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Oct 7, 8:07 pm, "jeffc" wrote:
If I had the dough right now I'd probably buy a Barracuda Junior. I think
it's one of those things where if you don't commit to using the rotary
feature and learn some different techniques, you'll probably do 98% of your
tying the same way you've always done. If you learn the best techniques for
rotary and make them habit, then it's faster and more convenient.

Bingo, we have a winner (except for the Barracuda) :-)
Frank Reid

Old October 11th, 2007, 03:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly,alt.flyfishing
mdk77[_2_]

On Oct 6, 11:48 am, "rb608" wrote:
"Jim Edmondson" wrote in message
For those experienced tyers out there, is having the ability to rotate the
hook as useful as it appears to a novice?

Yes, it is very helpful for some techniques. I would suggest, however, that
as a novice, you learn how to wrap materials the "hard way" before using the
rotary feature for stuff.

What are the downsides? One thing I thought of is with the bobbin on the
stand and the hook rotating to add body materials, the thread will twist,
is this an issue?

The only real downside is extra cost. You can lock it to keep it from
rotating, so it's otherwise the same as a fixed vise. No, thread twist is
not an issue (well, never has been for me.) The relatively few turns needed
to tie on most materials is inconsequential to the thread twist.

Are there other rotating vise systems out there in addition to the one
from Nor-Vise tha I should consider?

I'll echo the endorsements for the Renzetti Traveler.

I'm a newbie, who has only been tying for a year now. I followed this
advice and did not use the rotary feature at first. Later, I found
the rotary feature to be quite handy, but something I could have lived
without if I had to. I have a Peak vise that was very reasonable.
It's a basic no-frills vise, but it seems to be sturdy as a rock. I
couldn't have afforded one of the more expensive vises. Also, FWIW, I
contacted Peak with a question and they were amazingly helpful (they
ended up mailing me a part for free......who does THAT anymore?).

- Dave K.

Old October 12th, 2007, 01:45 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
dcabarle[_10_]

I find my Nor-vice to be an indispensable tool. I kinda feel that when
you have less to work with you get more done. It's not a pretty
looking vice but it's quite functional. Getting used to it? Put the
hook on and start tying. You can easily control how fast or slow you
want the vise to rotate.

The spring loaded bobbins are excellent, and I'll never revert back to
a traditional bobbin.

If you need to learn anything more about them, feel free to ask.

--
dcabarle

'Technorati Profile' (http://tinyurl.com/2n68mt)
'AuctionAds' (http://www.auctionads.com/refer_ d8ab292c52a30ff7404d)