Pennnel rig

Old September 28th, 2007, 06:42 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alec Powell

Default Pennnel rig

This seems to be a sad case. Is this NG defunct?
If not then tell me all about pennel rigs and maybe could educate anyone
who is interested in worming.
Tight lines

--
Alec Powell Watlington Oxon. UK
Fishing the Thame, Windrush and the Thames

Web Pages:
http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/

Old September 28th, 2007, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

it appears to be, i have been checking for a while and nothing but these
posts that are nothing to do with fishing.

Old September 28th, 2007, 09:47 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Andy Lawson

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
This seems to be a sad case. Is this NG defunct?
If not then tell me all about pennel rigs and maybe could educate anyone
who is interested in worming.
Tight lines

--
Alec Powell Watlington Oxon. UK
Fishing the Thame, Windrush and the Thames

Web Pages:
http://www.prole.demon.co.uk/

Pennell rig? Get over to UK.rec.fishing.sea and I'll give you some info...
or seeing you have my number, gissa call. We may even get out fishing ;o)

ATB

Andy

Old September 29th, 2007, 12:12 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
This seems to be a sad case. Is this NG defunct?

It'll pick up as the nights close in. Almost all of the off-topic posts are
just one troll using as many as six simultaneous IDs and forged headers so
next time his medication is updated and he goes quiet for a while we'll
probably see some more on topic posts.

If not then tell me all about pennel rigs and maybe could educate anyone
who is interested in worming.

I don't use pennels for coarse fishing worming - rarely for worming at all
except where frequent, repeated casting is needed. Use a good sized hook
appropriate to the size of bait and a line capable of driving it home.

I haven't tried circle hooks for coarse fishing with worms yet but I'd
expect them to be a useful addition to the armoury.

What prompted the question?

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 30th, 2007, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alec Powell

On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Derek Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
What prompted the question?

Without boring anyone senseless with this reply, I find that doing my
autumn digging on my allotment I am the proud owner of enormous amounts
of both reds, brandlings and lobs.
Consequently the chub and perch on my little stretch of the Thame here
in Oxfordshire are very happy in the partaking of same.
Now you tell me...........how the hell do you keep said wurrrm on a size
8 barbless hook for more than one cast?
Consequently the request of info on pennel rigs.
Any ideas?
BTW Derek, down your way tomorrow, (Sherbourne - Dorset), might take a
bit of tackle with me.
We live in hope:-)
Cheerio,
Alec
--
Alec Powell

(Waiting for the Great Leap Forwards)

Watlington
Oxfordshire
UK

Old September 30th, 2007, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Andy Lawson

[...]

Hi Alec,

Sorry for the previous reply, but when I saw Pennell Rig I thought you were
off sea fishing again and posted to the wrong group. Just thought the
dementia was kicking in again ) My mistake.

Must admit, I've never used one myself for worms when course fishing, but
then again, I've not used them with barbless hooks. (BTW, I've seen smaller
barbless hooks with a flattened piece just below the point. The idea to stop
maggots coming off. Don't know if these are available on larger hooks?)

If you want to try a Pennell Rig, then this is how I would do it based upon
when I've used them sea fishing. Other anglers here may suggest an
alternative/better method:

I would use a smaller hook as the top hook (perhaps a size 14 or 12 maybe?).
Begin by sliding the small hook onto the line first, then tie on the larger
hook (so the smaller hook is running free). Then put the worm onto the main
hook and slide down the smaller hook so it's lined up with the head of the
worm. Wrap the line around the shank of the smaller hook about 3 or 4 times
to effectively lock it in place although it will slide a bit (perhaps more
wraps because of the thinner line maybe?) Put the head of the worm on the
smaller hook.

Well.... that's the theory... practice will/may tell.

Good luck,

Andy

Old October 1st, 2007, 12:44 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

"Andy Lawson" wrote in message

"Alec Powell" wrote in message
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Derek Moody, gave forth snip

alternative/better method:

I would use a smaller hook as the top hook (perhaps a size 14 or 12
maybe?). Begin by sliding the small hook onto the line first, then tie on
the larger hook (so the smaller hook is running free). Then put the worm
onto the main hook and slide down the smaller hook so it's lined up with
the head of the worm. Wrap the line around the shank of the smaller hook
about 3 or 4 times to effectively lock it in place although it will slide
a bit (perhaps more wraps because of the thinner line maybe?) Put the head
of the worm on the smaller hook.

Well.... that's the theory... practice will/may tell.

Good luck,

Andy

good idea, but i find that it is often better to tie the upper hook using a
knotless knot as if to make a boiley rig
allow app size of your shortest worms then allow the excess worm to fall
below the bottom hook. This
way there is no slipping and '2' bite points for those larger fish that come
take on the down rather than
from the bottom. A 14 barbed for the top hook will be perfect, or at least
it is for me.

may your line stay tight and your arms be aching )

Daz

Old October 1st, 2007, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Alec Powell
wrote:
On Sat, 29 Sep 2007, Derek Moody, gave forth these words of wisdom:
What prompted the question?

Without boring anyone senseless with this reply, I find that doing my
autumn digging on my allotment I am the proud owner of enormous amounts
of both reds, brandlings and lobs.
Consequently the chub and perch on my little stretch of the Thame here
in Oxfordshire are very happy in the partaking of same.
Now you tell me...........how the hell do you keep said wurrrm on a size
8 barbless hook for more than one cast?

Haven't the faintest idea.

Use a microbarb and the worm will stay put - and use a size to suit the worm
I -have- taken chub on a 6/0... but #4 might be a better starting point.

Consequently the request of info on pennel rigs.
Any ideas?

With small worms the other method is to hook then once through the head and
let the whole worm dangle - doesn't work where there are tiddlers about
though.

BTW Derek, down your way tomorrow, (Sherbourne - Dorset), might take a
bit of tackle with me.

Oops. A bit too late to point you at the middle Stour - plenty of worm
targets there.

Cheerio,

Old October 1st, 2007, 12:07 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Andy Lawson
wrote:

"Alec Powell" wrote in message

both reds, brandlings and lobs.

Now you tell me...........how the hell do you keep said wurrrm on a size 8
barbless hook for more than one cast?

I would use a smaller hook as the top hook (perhaps a size 14 or 12 maybe?).
Begin by sliding the small hook onto the line first, then tie on the larger
hook (so the smaller hook is running free). Then put the worm onto the main
hook and slide down the smaller hook so it's lined up with the head of the
worm. Wrap the line around the shank of the smaller hook about 3 or 4 times
to effectively lock it in place although it will slide a bit (perhaps more
wraps because of the thinner line maybe?) Put the head of the worm on the
smaller hook.

The problems arise when a chub swallows a 9" worm in one second flat -
both hooks out of sight...

At least with a single, even a big single, you have a decent chance with
disgorger. You can't cut off the pennel short and leave the hooks to
dissolve in the stomach as the connection will ligature the gut :-(

Otoh pennels are probably useful for trout and grayling, or any fish that
mouth the worm for a while.

I mentioned circle hooks upthread but apparently there are problems when
trying to thread a worm - they should be ok for big bunches of lobs when you
just head hook them.

Cheerio,