odd behaviour

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Default odd behaviour

It would have been a good picture and I am glad I was far enough away for
her not hear the laughter.VBG

I will get a good weight for the bottom section but I think it will have to
be a good one as the net rings seem to be very buoyant which is why, despite
the obvious stupidity of it, I wondered if it was supposed to float in some
way. Lots of minor things have changed over the years away so just wondered
what else I had missed. I am getting paranoid due to kids in fishing shops
looking at me as if to say "What do you want Granddad " then realising I am
a Granddad now.(;-)

--
Gandalf

"The Midnight Rider" wrote in message

"Gandalf" wrote in message

snip

The rain held off in the main but the wife nearly did a Mary Poppins with
my brollie. I had to do a runner to the nearby pub as I had urgent need
of their loo. As I reached the other side of the lake the wind got up,
not mine, so I rang the misses to tell her to take down my brollie. She
mumbled something then as I walked on she came into view. Seems the
brollie had already tried to take off and when I phoned she was fighting
the brollie with a sandwich in her mouth and the phone in her hand. I
really wish I had taken my camera round with me.

would have loved to see that hehe.

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:44 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , The Midnight Rider
URL:mailto

"Gandalf" wrote in message

A quick and stupid question about keep nets. I bought a keep net last year
but never even opened the packet. Took it today but was unable to use it
as it bloody floats and has no weights on the lower end. Am I missing
something here or is there a new idea about keep nets

keepnets are unfortunately made that way now unless you pay the big bux, i
have 2 that dont sink well
i have stitched a couple of small weights onto the opposite ends of the
bottom in order to sink them.
nothing worse than trying to land with them if the water is on the move,
more fighting than the flamin
catch hehe. if it has the straight seam on the bottom you may be able to do
same as me with a small
weight each end the seam, if its a round bottom then a single wieght in the
middle should do it, perhaps
a small 1/2 ounce ledger type weight or something like that?

1/2 lb would be better. I use a sea weight but a mate uses a section of lead
pipe on a short cord which seems to sit very well.

I mean to experiment with a length of lead cored rope (commercial
skate-netting bottom-line) threaded into the net to stabalise it and add a
little stiffening. Problem - depending on which bank of the river I'm
fishing - On one bank I'll want it on one side of the net - on the other
bank, the other side - and I haven't worked out how to deal with that aspect
yet. The idea is that it holds one side of the net on the bottom and
prevents it rolling with less need to peg it out.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 20th, 2007, 11:53 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

please forgive my stupid reply haha, i was talking of 'landing nets' not
keep nets, thanks to trying to reply whilst the wife was working heavily on
my right ear.
ooops.

Old September 20th, 2007, 01:44 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , The Midnight Rider
URL:mailto
please forgive my stupid reply haha, i was talking of 'landing nets' not
keep nets, thanks to trying to reply whilst the wife was working heavily on
my right ear.

Distracted by rolling pin? We understand ;-)

Cheerio,

Old September 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

I am in your debt Derek, my landing net is cleaner than it has ever been now
and is getting an extra rinse in the rain as we speak. Gave it a good
rinsing in hot then cold water first mind you. I was sorely tempted to
finish in off in the washing machine but I just know the wife would find
out.

--
Gandalf

Old September 20th, 2007, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

I did think you were being a bit of a light weight there myself but was not
confident enough to say.VBG

It does raise the idea that they could have the rings weighted on one side
and buoyant on the other so the net would never collapse. A slight weight in
each ring would aid putting the nets out as well, might try to modify mine
if I can find something to put over the frames.

Old September 20th, 2007, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
wrote:
I am in your debt Derek, my landing net is cleaner than it has ever been now
and is getting an extra rinse in the rain as we speak. Gave it a good
rinsing in hot then cold water first mind you. I was sorely tempted to
finish in off in the washing machine but I just know the wife would find
out.

Ok, next fabric conditioner, air dry, and tuck a sprig of lavender between
the folds before you store it in the airing cupboard...

Cheerio,

Old September 20th, 2007, 10:55 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

wrote:
I am in your debt Derek, my landing net is cleaner than it has ever been
now
and is getting an extra rinse in the rain as we speak. Gave it a good
rinsing in hot then cold water first mind you. I was sorely tempted to
finish in off in the washing machine but I just know the wife would find
out.

Ok, next fabric conditioner, air dry, and tuck a sprig of lavender between
the folds before you store it in the airing cupboard...

Yeah! but what about the landing net.VBG

--
Gandalf