odd behaviour

Old September 16th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

Default odd behaviour

Well, made up for the blank today, a nice 11lb'er on tens elastic and 3lb
line, through the weeds and onward, but i refused to give in and landed it
(after about 10 mins or so). All in all a nice day.
Hope your luck was equal.

"Gandalf" wrote in message
Many thanks Midnight, I am guessing you are a younger man and firing
blanks could have more than one meaning.Sometimes I wish I had been.VBG

Total washout, after fighting to this swim I had only seen from the other
side of the lake I found out it was over grown with trees on the sides and
above. I lost two hooks before I even got a bait in the water and the swim
was an even 3 foot deep in all the places I could cast using a 12 foot
match rod. After an hour I moved but the swim that was second choice would
have meant fishing in close as a swim on the adjacent bank was occupied so
it would be unfair to cramp his style with many swims open so I went round
the corner and only had a few small roach, gudgeon and bream. The "no
blank" record holds good though. The guy who had the swim I left free had
an 18.5 lb carp and I was so damn pleased for him.

Even so it was nice quiet day out.

--
Gandalf

"The Midnight Rider" wrote in message
All the best for '52' gandalf old boy, and hope you get a good session
for the day.
And Derek, message from the wife "*&^%$£ you *&^%$£ dare mr." hehe.
p.s. my first blank today for many weeks, the wife is still laughing
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. she says its justice for the other night.

"Gandalf" wrote in message
Hi Derek,

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:48 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Well done Midnight, the whole thing you describe is what both fascinates me
and scares me about pole fishing. I had that short spell of whip fishing a
few weeks ago and it was enjoyable for small fish but if I had hit anything
with some real fight I would have had adrenaline pouring out my ears I think
which is not a bad thing other than it seeming to give the fish a greater
than 50/50 chance with little advantage to the angler. Might be I am just
old fashioned I guess.

My next trip is Wednesday and I am taking the wife for her bi-annual trip
but not too sure how long she will last as it is supposed to be wet and
cold.

Old September 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

Good luck with the wife, i know how hard it is to please them, but when the
weather is bad too, oh boy. heehee.
Bi-annual? you only take her out twice a year? sounds a perfect wife to me.
Any chance she could train mine for me? hehe.
Have a good one.

Old September 18th, 2007, 05:49 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

"Bi-annual? you only take her out twice a year?"

Only if I am really unlucky.(;-) I would lend her out for training purposes
but I could not take the hate mail afterwards.

After being forced into retirement she is the breadwinner so I am the one
with the crumbs now.VBG

31 years of marriage as of today, or 4 life sentences as I like to think of
it. Just to rub it in I also get to have all three grandchildren today. You
can see why I miss work so much.(;-)

Seems tomorrow will be under the brollie as rain predicted mid morning.
Still going though.

Old September 18th, 2007, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

"Gandalf" wrote in message
"Bi-annual? you only take her out twice a year?"

Only if I am really unlucky.(;-) I would lend her out for training
purposes but I could not take the hate mail afterwards.

from the other hubbies or wives? haha

After being forced into retirement she is the breadwinner so I am the one
with the crumbs now.VBG

ouch! under the thumb is same as ! i know how it feels.

31 years of marriage as of today, or 4 life sentences as I like to think
of it. Just to rub it in I also get to have all three grandchildren today.
You can see why I miss work so much.(;-)

yes, you only get 15 for murder

Seems tomorrow will be under the brollie as rain predicted mid morning.
Still going though.

--
Gandalf

good luck , im off to llangollen tonight for a couple of sessions after the
trout (on the local river) and bream. the canal is clear as ice so might
grab a few dace along with those bream. they are a little finicky though so
its long leads and lots of patience )

Old September 19th, 2007, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

"Gandalf" wrote in message
"Bi-annual? you only take her out twice a year?"

Only if I am really unlucky.(;-) I would lend her out for training
purposes but I could not take the hate mail afterwards.

from the other hubbies or wives? haha

No, her after she found the new address.VBG

After being forced into retirement she is the breadwinner so I am the one
with the crumbs now.VBG

ouch! under the thumb is same as ! i know how it feels.

No chance as I am 6 foot and she is only 4 foot 10. So more like on it.(;-)

Well it was not a bad day all in all. Did not land any really large fish but
had about 10 up to 2 lbs. Lost one thanks to my stupidity. My youngest
grandson was with me when I hit into something with a lot of weight, I
assumed it was a bream as it started off sluggish so I let him help me and
it was just at the point of getting him to hold the rod with me that this
fish went wild. If it was a bream it was huge but I am thinking big tench or
moderate carp, anyhow it slipped the hook and I lost it. All my fault.

The landing net is in the biological washing powder so thanks Derek.

The wife caught well, nothing large but lots of small roach and only
bothered me a couple of times to sort tangles or disgorge a perch or two.

The rain held off in the main but the wife nearly did a Mary Poppins with my
brollie. I had to do a runner to the nearby pub as I had urgent need of
their loo. As I reached the other side of the lake the wind got up, not
mine, so I rang the misses to tell her to take down my brollie. She mumbled
something then as I walked on she came into view. Seems the brollie had
already tried to take off and when I phoned she was fighting the brollie
with a sandwich in her mouth and the phone in her hand. I really wish I had
taken my camera round with me.

I do wish I had banked the really big though.

Not able to get back out there for 8 days now due to appointments and blood
tests,supposed to be good weather after the weekend as well.

A quick and stupid question about keep nets. I bought a keep net last year
but never even opened the packet. Took it today but was unable to use it as
it bloody floats and has no weights on the lower end. Am I missing something
here or is there a new idea about keep nets

--
Gandalf

Old September 20th, 2007, 01:06 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

In message , Gandalf
writes
A quick and stupid question about keep nets. I bought a keep net last year
but never even opened the packet. Took it today but was unable to use it as
it bloody floats and has no weights on the lower end. Am I missing something
here or is there a new idea about keep nets

You'll need to add your own weight(s) to the end of the net - I use
2*4oz sea leads (basically large pear leads). In my 30 years of fishing
I've yet to buy a net that had them supplied/built in. I only normally
use a keep net when match fishing anyway, or very occasionally on the
canal in winter when roach fishing at the bottom of the near shelf as I
feel that releasing the fish straight back into a close in swim can
affect the fishing. On the canal I peg both ends of the net to the bank
to prevent it being moved about by passing boats, but you need a long
net for this to keep plenty in the water for the fish - my main
keepnet's 3 metres long.

Will
--
e-mail news dot will at lancre dot net
'98 300Tdi Defender 110 CSW, 1/12th NB Sometimes
Old September 20th, 2007, 01:09 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
The Midnight Rider

"Gandalf" wrote in message

snip

The rain held off in the main but the wife nearly did a Mary Poppins with
my brollie. I had to do a runner to the nearby pub as I had urgent need of
their loo. As I reached the other side of the lake the wind got up, not
mine, so I rang the misses to tell her to take down my brollie. She
mumbled something then as I walked on she came into view. Seems the
brollie had already tried to take off and when I phoned she was fighting
the brollie with a sandwich in her mouth and the phone in her hand. I
really wish I had taken my camera round with me.

would have loved to see that hehe.

snip

A quick and stupid question about keep nets. I bought a keep net last year
but never even opened the packet. Took it today but was unable to use it
as it bloody floats and has no weights on the lower end. Am I missing
something here or is there a new idea about keep nets

keepnets are unfortunately made that way now unless you pay the big bux, i
have 2 that dont sink well
i have stitched a couple of small weights onto the opposite ends of the
bottom in order to sink them.
nothing worse than trying to land with them if the water is on the move,
more fighting than the flamin
catch hehe. if it has the straight seam on the bottom you may be able to do
same as me with a small
weight each end the seam, if its a round bottom then a single wieght in the
middle should do it, perhaps
a small 1/2 ounce ledger type weight or something like that?

Old September 20th, 2007, 02:24 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

In message , The Midnight Rider
writes
[...]

You must not fish fast or tidal rivers - 1/2 oz wouldn't sink even the
line in the margins in some of the places I've fished (2-4oz feeders
needed to hold bottom), the keepnet would be acting like a windsock :-)

I like to have plenty of weight attached to the end of the keepnet - it
helps keep everything where I want it, and reduces the stress on the
fish that can be caused by the net rolling/sliding around in the current
or worse collapsing. Even on stillwaters I'd want a couple of ounces to
ensure the net stays fully extended.

Will
Old September 20th, 2007, 09:59 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_2_]

Memory is not what it used to be but I think the nets I used to buy back in
the 70's had the sort of sea weights you mention in the bottom section. This
net does have two loops at the bottom so I can attach those sorts of weights
to this one. It would be long enough to attach at both ends but the swim
would not allow it as there was bushes either side.

Thanks for that Will.

--
Gandalf

"Will Wilkinson" wrote in message