newbie getting back into hobby - need spinner fishing advise -old school reels

Old August 18th, 2007, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
matthew walker

Default newbie getting back into hobby - need spinner fishing advise -old school reels

Hi All,

I am just getting the bug for fishing after a 20 year absence. i have a good
match course fishind rod and some good olds skool reels. Iam comfortable
with lake and river fishing, but would like to catch some pike! I have a
cheap pike rod and trace, linr etc. I would like to know whicth of my old
reels would be the best for the job - i have abu506m, mitchell match 440a
and mitchell 840. some may not be able to hold sufficeint strong lines. Any
advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

p.s. carp fishing has taken over, i need to get back to basics before i
expand to carp

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:41 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , matthew walker
wrote:

I am just getting the bug for fishing after a 20 year absence. i have a good

Welcome back.

cheap pike rod and trace, linr etc. I would like to know whicth of my old
reels would be the best for the job - i have abu506m, mitchell match 440a
and mitchell 840. some may not be able to hold sufficeint strong lines. Any
advise would be appreciated.

Any of them will do fine. I tend to mix and match 300's and 410/440's for
all sorts of spinning - in sal****er as well 'though don't try it with one
you treasure. The line-lay on these reels is first class for spinning.

p.s. carp fishing has taken over, i need to get back to basics before i
expand to carp

These days carp seem to hace become basics :-(
- just treat then like other fish and you'll be fine. Whatever you do
don't get bogged down under a mountain of gear and finiky 'rigs'.
Why not combine your stillwater trips? Once round the lake with the
spinners and flick out a few crusts as you go. Keep half an an eye on the
crusts and note where they're taken then make a second round with the trace
replaced by a single hook and drop a bait on top of each feeding carp in
turn.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old August 19th, 2007, 12:43 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Will Wilkinson

In message , matthew walker
writes
Hi All,

I am just getting the bug for fishing after a 20 year absence. i have a good
match course fishind rod and some good olds skool reels. Iam comfortable
with lake and river fishing, but would like to catch some pike! I have a
cheap pike rod and trace, linr etc. I would like to know whicth of my old
reels would be the best for the job - i have abu506m, mitchell match 440a
and mitchell 840. some may not be able to hold sufficeint strong lines. Any
advise would be appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

p.s. carp fishing has taken over, i need to get back to basics before i
expand to carp

Not the Match - far too light a reel (and one of the all-time classics).
I'd expect the 840 should be fine, for spinning. I'd load it with 30lb
braid (seems heavy, but similar diameter to 8lb mono) as this will give
better feel than mono and allow you to retrieve most snagged lures (the
hooks should straighten before the line breaks). Just make sure your
clutch is set appropriately so you don't overload your rod.

Will
--
lancre dot net - The personal domain of Will and Cath Wilkinson.
Send e-mail to news dot will at lancre dot net