‘Stressed’ fish get bill of rights' About time too.

Old July 2nd, 2007, 05:44 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gloria

Default ‘Stressed’ fish get bill of rights' About time too.

July 1, 2007

‘Stressed’ fish get bill of rights

http://www.timesonline.co.uk
The government has ruled that fish may feel pain and will draw up a
charter of rights to protect them from inhumane treatment in research
laboratories, writes Michelle McGinty.

Home Office guidelines will ensure that fish used for scientific study
are monitored for signs of stress. Scientists will be required to
“enrich” the animals’ lives by putting shelters and other features in
aquariums.

The charter also stipulates that laboratories and universities should
“retire” fish at a reasonable age so they can enjoy their old age.

The guidelines have been prompted by mounting evidence suggesting that
fish, which are used widely for genetic research, have pain receptors
similar to those of land-dwelling vertebrates.

A study conducted at the Roslin Institute near Edinburgh and published
by the Royal Society in 2003 appeared to show fish have nervous
systems that respond to damaging stimuli.

Last year 230,000 fish were used by government laboratories, an
increase of more than a third since 2003. They are the third largest
group of laboratory animals, behind mice and rats.

Zebrafish, a tropical variety, are most commonly used because they are
suited to a wide range of experiments. They can regenerate their fins,
skin and heart following injury in an experiment. The mechanism by
which they do so is unknown and is being studied by scientists.

Victoria Braithwaite, of Edinburgh University’s institute of
evolutionary biology, who has helped draw up the guidelines, said
there was growing evidence that fish had greater intellectual capacity
than previously thought. A study last year found red sea groupers were
hunting cooperatively with moray eels, using eye contact to call them
to a hunt and then sharing the spoils.

Have your say

Have you ever thought Judi that the artificial environment that was
your fish tank was the only reason that these fish had never been
predated on before. What do you think happens in the wild? It's not
like Finding Nemo you know.
And if there are to be any bans then please let's rid society of
bigots like John! If fish feel so much pain when hooked, how come I've
caught the same chub three times on the same bait in the past week!?!?
They can't be that bright can they!?

Greg, Stamford,

I'm sure fish do feel pain. This is the first step towards banning
angling. How would you like a hook through your lip? Here comes the
Hunting Bill all over again

John Ledbury, Kings Lynn, England

Wonderful! And the other week someone in Whitehaven who drowned a
litter of puppies was found not guilty of harming them because a vet
said young puppies do not feel pain. This country is going insane.

Peggy Webb, Blyth, England

It's about time the government concentrated on getting the laws and
problems right for it's citizens before wasting time on animal
welfare.

Les, Southport, England

I wanted rid of my large fish tank, so took my two tiny neon fish to a
Taxi firm that had a large tank with other small fish in it.
As soon as I released my poor fish into that tank, I could sense their
fear - within seconds they were being hunted by slighly larger fish,
and one was swallowed up almost immediately. I remember crying out in
shock, but my husband said to stop showing myself up, the other would
be fine.
I have never forgiven myself for taking them to that place.
It proved to me that fish have feelings just like us, and anyone who
thinks otherwise must be either insensitve clods or thick ignorant
planks.
By the way I am now vegan - I'm very fit, healthy and youthful.

Judi Hewitt, Rhyl,,

I'm glad to see that it has been finally recognized that fish are
capable of feeling pain, just as all other animals do. Protection for
fish is very much needed. Fish have been tremendously abused for years
(fishing, lab. experimentation, pet store confinement,..) . Hopefully,
this will lead to the implementation of more humane practices.

Italia Millan, Auburn Hills, Michigan, USA

Well done. Next, we must deal with angling, as surely this is
extremely stressful for fish. Even those fish whose lives are spared
and thrown back in the water will suffer from horrific injuries caused
by fishermen and their hooks and lines.

Sue, Manchester, England

Old July 2nd, 2007, 09:36 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
[email protected]

On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:44:15 +0100, Gloria
wrote:

July 1, 2007

‘Stressed’ fish get bill of rights

Quite right and great news.

Angus Macmillan
www.roots-of-blood.org.uk
www.killhunting.org
www.con-servation.org.uk

All truth passes through three stages:
First, it is ridiculed;
Second, it is violently opposed; and
Third, it is accepted as self-evident.
-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)
Old July 3rd, 2007, 05:33 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,uk.environment.conservation,uk.rec.birdwatching,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Dutch[_2_]

wrote
On Mon, 02 Jul 2007 17:44:15 +0100, Gloria
wrote:

July 1, 2007

'Stressed' fish get bill of rights

Quite right and great news.

Congratulations on another scintillating argument.