choice of rod weight and length

Old May 27th, 2007, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
John Fox

Default choice of rod weight and length

Any advice on the choice of rod weight and length for still water trout
fishing in the UK?

I am planning to get a 'posh' rod for my birthday and want to get the
right size.

John Fox
Old May 27th, 2007, 07:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
W. D. Grey

In article , John Fox
writes

Any advice on the choice of rod weight and length for still water trout
fishing in the UK?

I am planning to get a 'posh' rod for my birthday and want to get the
right size.

John Fox

It depends on your ability to cast and arm strength. Although it is the
rod that does the work, heavier rods and line can be hard going on an
all day session.

My recommendation for general Reservoir / put & take fisheries would be
a 9' - 6" #6/8 or 7/9 rod sued with a weight forward # 8 line in
either case.

I suppose there are those who would say use a #7WF line with a #6/8 Rod
but a WF 8 will perform better.

--
Bill Grey

Old May 27th, 2007, 10:18 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Niteawk

"John Fox" wrote in message

Any advice on the choice of rod weight and length for still water trout
fishing in the UK?

I am planning to get a 'posh' rod for my birthday and want to get the
right size.

John Fox

As you are asking I am going to assume you are fairly new to this, I am in
my second season as trainee water flogger.

I have tried various rods and line weights and as I am not as experienced at
casting as one should be, I hope the following advice will save you a few
bob or two.

I could not get on with a 10' #8 rod with #9 WF line, packed up after an
hour. Then I got to grips with a 9'6" #7 rod with a #7 intermediate line, a
much better outfit but I was still struggling, packing up after 2 hours.

Then I got hold of a 9' #6 rod, added a WF #7f line and I was in heaven, I
could cast this outfit all day long without hardly an effort, my casting
improved instantly. The 9' #6 rod is the best all round rod to buy IMO. It
has plenty of power for casting and enough guts for getting to grips with
the larger stillwater and reservoir trout, (if you happen to fluke one)and
the beauty of this rod means you can also use it for river fishing as well,
stick on a #6DT line and away you go.

To recap, the shorter the rod the easier it is to cast. I also got an 8'6"
#5 rod and this proved to be just as easy to cast although it lacked a bit
of distance compared to the 9' #6 rod with #7 line. Both these rods outcast
the longer versions.

The best all round rod is a 9' #6 rod, this rod will work with a #6 DT, a #7
WF and a #6 or probably #7 sinking line.

Old May 28th, 2007, 12:03 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Derek Moody

In article , John Fox
wrote:

Any advice on the choice of rod weight and length for still water trout
fishing in the UK?

I am planning to get a 'posh' rod for my birthday and want to get the
right size.

Book a casting lesson with your local instructor and ask him (when you book)
to provide a selection of rods and to suggest the best combination for your
physique and the local waters.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Ian D

On Mon, 28 May 2007 00:03:40 +0100, Derek Moody
wrote:

Book a casting lesson with your local instructor and ask him (when you book)
to provide a selection of rods and to suggest the best combination for your
physique and the local waters.

Excellent advice there.
Personally for bank fishing I'd never exceed 9'6" for rod length, and
a maximum #7 for all round performance - a #6 or even a #5 is most
often perfectly adequate, but can feel a bit overloaded if you do much
fishing with sinking lines.

I'd also never recommend using a #8 weight line with a #7 rod as a
matter of course. Some rods could probably benefit, but as often as
not I'd go the other way and 'underline' the rod. It's imperative to
test out all the possible combinations before settling on one
particular line rating as standard for your style of casting and that
specific rod.

The type of line used can have a bearing on this as well - I'm
referring to WF lines and not getting into the WF versus DT argument.
The length of the head and the various tapers can make quite a
difference to how the rod feels when casting.

Cheers
Ian D
Old May 28th, 2007, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game
Niteawk

news
wrote:

[...]

And more good advice here also, It is best to fish as light as you can if
you can, go as low as you dare in fly line sizes #, catch more fish.

As a foot note I would say avoid sinking lines when starting off, in fact I
would avoid them full stop, I have not found a stillwater deep enough to
justify using one. Its much easier and far better to use a sink tip line to
get the same or even better presentation and you can grease it to float if
the trout start to come on the surface. Dual purpose
If you want to fish deeper using a floating line there are plenty of
weighted leaders on the market, or just use a heavier fly, goldheads for eg.
sorted.