PMWS pork entering food chain

Old January 26th, 2007, 02:48 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Jim Webster

Default PMWS pork entering food chain

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

Jim Webster

Old January 27th, 2007, 07:46 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
pearl

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

For argument's sake, and because it involves everyone, let's
say that my "food ingredients" come from all over the world.
Now tell us what should be avoided (support with evidence).

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:16 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Alan Holmes

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

For argument's sake, and because it involves everyone, let's
say that my "food ingredients" come from all over the world.
Now tell us what should be avoided (support with evidence).

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

Why don't you start using a little common sense, although I doubt you have
anything so simple.

Stop crossposting this rubbish to all these newsgroups.

Old January 27th, 2007, 08:42 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Jim Webster

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

For argument's sake, and because it involves everyone, let's
say that my "food ingredients" come from all over the world.
Now tell us what should be avoided (support with evidence).

simple
Don't eat imported food.
Stick with UK seasonal vegetables
After all you are a vegetarian

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

don't need to, you rant on about it all the time
but it has taken over a week to admit that you are every bit as guilty

Jim Webster

Old January 27th, 2007, 09:48 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
pearl

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

For argument's sake, and because it involves everyone, let's
say that my "food ingredients" come from all over the world.
Now tell us what should be avoided (support with evidence).

simple
Don't eat imported food.

That rules out livestock products then, as you use imported feed.
... and the UK is rapidly becoming a water-deficient country too..

Stick with UK seasonal vegetables

I'd like to see evidence of vegetables causing water depletion.

After all you are a vegetarian

So what. We all eat (-need- to eat, for survival and good health)
vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes and so on. Try living without.

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

don't need to, you rant on about it all the time

You do need to, as you are trying to shift the blame onto others.

but it has taken over a week to admit that you are every bit as guilty

I have not. There's no way I could be. It is inefficient unsustainable
consumption for and by the livestock industry that is causing global
water shortages, - requiring 15 to 22 times the water for the same
amount, and at about 40 percent of global agricultural output, that's
nearly twice as much as would be used for plant foods alone - and
~you~ try to blame foods being produced for human beings directly.

Shame on you, webster. Maybe one day you'll find a backbone.

Old January 27th, 2007, 10:16 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Remus

"pearl" wrote in message ...
It is inefficient unsustainable
consumption for and by the livestock industry that is causing global
water shortages, - requiring 15 to 22 times the water for the same
amount, and at about 40 percent of global agricultural output

Saving a few gallons in UK is not going to make those gallons magically appear in the Sahara. If this country ever gets near a water shortage it will be because we ALL waste water on washing cars, sprinkling the lawn, flushing the toilet too many times and in a thousand other ways - to blame it on meat producers is rather fuzzy logic - their contribution to water usage (both globally and in UK) pales into insignificance when compared to the wasteful usage by Joe Public.
Old January 27th, 2007, 10:46 PM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Jim Webster

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient
countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

For argument's sake, and because it involves everyone, let's
say that my "food ingredients" come from all over the world.
Now tell us what should be avoided (support with evidence).

simple
Don't eat imported food.

That rules out livestock products then, as you use imported feed.

yes, but I admit it

.. and the UK is rapidly becoming a water-deficient country too..

not for agriculture. May have to ration domestic use in the SE

Stick with UK seasonal vegetables

I'd like to see evidence of vegetables causing water depletion.

Simple.
What is the water content of most vegetables?

After all you are a vegetarian

So what. We all eat (-need- to eat, for survival and good health)
vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes and so on. Try living without.

then why do you buy imported vegetables?

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

no, we use all that water that falls on grass or would otherwise go to waste

don't need to, you rant on about it all the time

You do need to, as you are trying to shift the blame onto others.

but it has taken over a week to admit that you are every bit as guilty

I have not. There's no way I could be. It is inefficient unsustainable
consumption for and by the livestock industry that is causing global
water shortages, - requiring 15 to 22 times the water for the same
amount, and at about 40 percent of global agricultural output, that's
nearly twice as much as would be used for plant foods alone - and
~you~ try to blame foods being produced for human beings directly.

Shame on you, webster. Maybe one day you'll find a backbone.

I'm not the one who took over a week to admit what she eats and still cannot
conceed that by importing vegetables she is importing water
Also if water is such a big deal, I'd point out that the amount used in
agriculture in the UK is less than is used by the domestic population

Jim Webster

Old January 28th, 2007, 12:28 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
pearl

"Remus" wrote in message ...

"pearl" wrote in message ...
It is inefficient unsustainable
consumption for and by the livestock industry that is causing global
water shortages, - requiring 15 to 22 times the water for the same
amount, and at about 40 percent of global agricultural output

Saving a few gallons in UK is not going to make those gallons magically appear in the Sahara.

'According to various sources, the Sahara Desert (or rather, desert-like
condition) is expanding southward at a fluctuating, rough average of
2-6 miles per year, with livestock production the principal cause.

"There were those who even claimed that the huge Sahara Desert was
a man-made product caused by shepherds burning the jungle, and by
the subsequent overgrazing of ever larger herds of goats and sheep.
Modern research has proved this to be so.
--Thor Heyerdahl, Fatu-Hiva

"Recent research has demonstrated that the Sahara was covered with
trees as recently as 6, 000 B.C., and that it was turned into a desert
by nomadic tribes that burned the trees to provide grazing areas for
their herds.
--Jacques Cousteau, The Ocean World

Only 6000 years ago the Sahara Desert was largely covered with trees,
brush, and grass, and has since become arid. Much evidence also
indicates that, as is the case in many of the world's drylands, livestock
grazing was a significant contributor to this aridification. Contemporary
livestock herding over more than 2/3 of the USA-sized, sandy, barren
wasteland we now call the Sahara Desert continues to deplete what
scant soil, vegetation, and water sources remain. Stock raising is
carried on wherever possible with little regard for sustained yield or
environmental consequences. However, livestock ownership here is
less a matter of survival than tradition, honor, and glory.
.....'
http://www.wasteofthewest.com/Chapter6.html

If this country ever gets near a water shortage it will be because we ALL waste water on washing cars, sprinkling the lawn,

flushing the toilet too many times and in a thousand other ways - to blame it on meat producers is rather fuzzy logic - their
contribution to water usage (both globally and in UK) pales into insignificance when compared to the wasteful usage by Joe Public.

Maybe. But I haven't blamed that on UK "meat producers".

Old January 28th, 2007, 01:29 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
pearl

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in
message
how can I know where you food comes from,

I don't know, but your statement above indicated that you do.

You lied, again.

How can I know where your food comes from

You should have thought of that before you blurted out "most of your
food ingredients are actually imported from water deficient
countries
...".

good, so where do your food ingredients come from then?

For argument's sake, and because it involves everyone, let's
say that my "food ingredients" come from all over the world.
Now tell us what should be avoided (support with evidence).

simple
Don't eat imported food.

That rules out livestock products then, as you use imported feed.

yes, but I admit it

Wow.

.. and the UK is rapidly becoming a water-deficient country too..

not for agriculture. May have to ration domestic use in the SE

Crops aren't being irrigated there yet?

Stick with UK seasonal vegetables

I'd like to see evidence of vegetables causing water depletion.

Simple.
What is the water content of most vegetables?

If it's that simple you should be able to provide evidence
that vegetable production is causing water shortages. In
fact it is the extensive deforestation to create pasture and
feedcrops that has caused aridization; now compounded
by the need to irrigate to keep up your omnivorous habit.

'(i) Micro-climate: Deforestation of TRF leads to drastic
changes in microclimate (Lal and Cummings, 1979), as
outlined in Fig. 6. In general, deforestation eliminates the
buffering effect of vegetation cover and accentuates the
extremes. Fluctuations in micro-climatic parameters are
greatly enhanced (e.g., relative humidity, maximum and
minimum temperatures for soil and air). Deforestation
decreases rainfall effectiveness and increases aridization
of the climate. Forest removal increases the magnitude
and intensity of net radiation reaching the soil surface.
Ghuman and Lal (1987) observed that in south central
Nigeria, on average, 10.5 and ll.5 MJ/m2/day of insolation
were received on a cleared site compared to 0.4 and 0.3
MJ/m2/day in the forest during the dry seasons of 1984
and 1985, respectively. There was no appreciable
difference in solar radiation received under forest during
the rainy (May) and dry (December) seasons (Table 8).
Vegetation removal also increases wind velocity (Table 8).

Deforestation decreases the maximum relative humidity,
especially during mid-day. There is also a corresponding
increase in air temperature and evaporation rate. Perhaps
the most drastic effect of deforestation is on soil
temperature. The maximum soil temperature at I to 5 cm
depth can be 5° to 20°C higher on cleared land on a sunny
day compared with land under TRF cover. Because of
high soil evaporation, the soil moisture content of the
surface layer is also lower in cleared than in forested soil
(Fig. 7).
.....'
http://www.unu.edu/unupress/unupbook...e/uu27se05.htm

After all you are a vegetarian

So what. We all eat (-need- to eat, for survival and good health)
vegetables, fruits, nuts, legumes and so on. Try living without.

then why do you buy imported vegetables?

People buy imported vegetables because a wide variety
of fresh produce is important to maintain good health.

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

no, we use all that water that falls on grass or would otherwise go to waste

You're forgetting about all that imported feed.

don't need to, you rant on about it all the time

You do need to, as you are trying to shift the blame onto others.

but it has taken over a week to admit that you are every bit as guilty

I have not. There's no way I could be. It is inefficient unsustainable
consumption for and by the livestock industry that is causing global
water shortages, - requiring 15 to 22 times the water for the same
amount, and at about 40 percent of global agricultural output, that's
nearly twice as much as would be used for plant foods alone - and
~you~ try to blame foods being produced for human beings directly.

Shame on you, webster. Maybe one day you'll find a backbone.

I'm not the one who took over a week to admit what she eats

Stop lying already, webster. I told you way back what I eat.

and still cannot
conceed that by importing vegetables she is importing water

You still can't provide evidence of vegetables causing drought.

Also if water is such a big deal, I'd point out that the amount used in
agriculture in the UK is less than is used by the domestic population

What percentage? A link with that would be helpful.

How many liters of water do bovines consume per day?

Old January 28th, 2007, 06:56 AM posted to alt.animals.ethics.vegetarian,talk.politics.animals,uk.rec.gardening,uk.business.agriculture,uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Jim Webster

"pearl" wrote in message
"Jim Webster" wrote in message
yes, but I admit it

Wow.

.. and the UK is rapidly becoming a water-deficient country too..

not for agriculture. May have to ration domestic use in the SE

Crops aren't being irrigated there yet?

some vegetables and potatoes

not such things as grazing land

Stick with UK seasonal vegetables

I'd like to see evidence of vegetables causing water depletion.

Simple.
What is the water content of most vegetables?

If it's that simple you should be able to provide evidence
that vegetable production is causing water shortages.

you just did, vegetables and potatoes are the only crops in the UK needing
irrigation

And for imported crops it is simple, work out the water content of
vegetables, multiply it by tons exported, that is the amount of water that
country exports.
If that country is already water deficient, you are merely making things
worse by exporting vegetables

In
fact it is the extensive deforestation to create pasture and
feedcrops that has caused aridization; now compounded
by the need to irrigate to keep up your omnivorous habit.

'(i) Micro-climate: Deforestation of TRF leads to drastic
changes in microclimate (Lal and Cummings, 1979), as
outlined in Fig. 6. In general, deforestation eliminates the
buffering effect of vegetation cover and accentuates the
extremes. Fluctuations in micro-climatic parameters are
greatly enhanced (e.g., relative humidity, maximum and
minimum temperatures for soil and air). Deforestation
decreases rainfall effectiveness and increases aridization
of the climate. Forest removal increases the magnitude
and intensity of net radiation reaching the soil surface.
Ghuman and Lal (1987) observed that in south central
Nigeria, on average,

so irrelevent to UK and snipped

Why won't you comment on the inefficient overuse of water
for the livestock industry, jim? You are too embarassed to?

no, we use all that water that falls on grass or would otherwise go to
waste

You're forgetting about all that imported feed.

maize gluten, buiscuit meal, rememeber,
if we are looking at your diet, then it is only relevent to compare mine

[...]

how much water a day to you use, start from there

How many liters of water do bovines consume per day?

remember they **** it straight back out again or convert it to milk which we
use. They drink water that is not up to human consumption standards
very little goes into meat

Jim Webster