Dingy or V-Nose Punt?

Old December 26th, 2006, 03:48 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
quietguy

Default Dingy or V-Nose Punt?

Hi All

Soon I will be off touring (Oz) in a 4WD and caravan, and want to take a
car
top boat to do some fishing and waterway exploring.

However, I am not sure which shape boat is best, and am getting
conflicting advice from the several dealers I have approached.

Some tell me the VNose punts are best because they are stable for
fishing while the Vnose makes them OK when the waves come up a bit

Others tell me the vnose punts are only good for rivers and lakes as
they wil not handle the chop and waves that you get in bays and esturies

Buggered if I know which way to go, and the boat mfgs don't give out
info, they say talk to the dealer.

Due to weight restrictions (top of Prado) I am limited to something
around 50 to 80kgs, and since health is poor I can't carry a big motor.
I will use a roof top loader to get the boat up and down from the roof.

I will mostly be fishing in rivers, lakes, bays, and esturies (eg
Forster lakes, the Hawsbury, the Murray, Botany Bay, Sydney harbour,
etc) - maybe the ocean some times but only
if it is VERY VERY calm, and not far from shore.

Advice most welcome and appreciated

David

PS launching should not be a problem as I will take a folding trailer on

the back of the van

Old December 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
High Country Houseboats

To my way of thinking I would prefer the tinnie not the punt. Because it is
true that the punt is not as good in a sea way. However it does depend an
your engine size too. If you are using a small engine as you suggest then
you may not reach plaining speed. If this is the case then unless you get
caught out in some really rough stuff then the stability of the punt might
be an advantage.
I know this just gives you more to consider but at the end of the day it
really comes down to personal preference. In Lakes, rivers and estuaries a
punt is ideal. In the sea the boat is a better choice the compromise is what
will matter in the practical use of whichever one you choose... every boat
is a compromise... If you choose the V nose punt then your sea fishing will
be limited. If you choose the boat there will be less limitation on your sea
fishing but some of the smaller rivers may be a problem.
Good luck and I hope you enjoy your trip and catch lots of fish in lots
of beautiful locations.

--
High Country Houseboats
www.ahch.com.au

Old December 27th, 2006, 05:09 AM posted to aus.sport.fishing
Buzz|^

I would suggest trying to hire one of each for a day on the water.
Everyone has his preferences, I like my 11 foot tinny, it's an older
savage and does me quite well but there are several things to consider.

Motor size. I use a 7.5 most of the time and find it ideal for use with
a car topper. The small motor is easy to carry as I used it with my
hilux with the boat on top. I find that I can use anything between 3
and 30 depending on what is available. The punt will take less power to
do the same speed will plane at a lower speed and usually chew less
juice. You could consider an electric for use on impoundments and with
small modifications have a dual battery system in your car. The
electrics are light, small and can make an excellent backup.
You have stated quite a few places down south that I am not familiar
with that you wish to fish but if you are doing an all over tour of Oz
consider some of the other places. I fished the Rockhampton area and
the Barra are usually the go. Either boat is great for a Barra or jack
in the river or the creeks but mid winter they usually go a bit quiet.
Mackerel are there to take up the slack and a short trip off the shore
can be rewarding most mornings, even in a tiny chop the punt can be
unpleasant but if you pick your morning and your conditions anything is
good. I have even rowed out and caught a few out from the singing ship
in Emu Park. Having a 15 or larger motor opens up a whole new horizon.
Most places you go the fish will be not right at the boat ramp (in
Rocky you have to go at least 100m for Barra) and as I have seen the
river with the tide against the wind produce 1m+ waves consider that in
some places it gets worse than that.
I have fly fished by sitting on top of the 25hp and found that
comfortable but for standing nothing can beat the punt.
Both are great, if you want a fishing holiday where you want to catch a
feed almost every day and try every hot spot get a dingy, 1 petrol and
an electric motor. For a holiday where you might want to do some lake
or creek fishing and want a stable and trouble free fishing platform or
if you are unexperienced with small boats the V-nose will serve you
well.
The V-Nose looks better on the car and seems to be trendy.

Now you need someone to rip holes in that reasoning to have a good
understanding of both.
I'm now stuck up here in Lae where there are too few tinnys and the
small boat is a 22 foot banana boat. The Black bass yellow fin and the
bill fish make up for it, now where did I put that 50W.

Old December 27th, 2006, 10:30 PM posted to aus.sport.fishing
quietguy

Thanks kindly for your reply, along with the info from High Country this
gives me a more to consider,

Buzz|^ wrote:

I would suggest trying to hire one of each for a day on the water.

A great idea, but not possible as I live about 500km from the sea, and I
hoped to buy locally and cruise the 'bidgee before the big trip. I know
both boat types are fine for the ('bidgee/Murray) rivers and small lakes,
and so my concern is about using the vnose punt in bays and very close
inshore - eg would it tip over, get flooded etc compared to a same size
dingy. Also safety in the larger 'lakes' like Forster or the big dams in
the snowy area as they can build up big waves very quickly if a wind comes
up - been there done that, and it can be scary, even in my 12 ft
fibreglasser.

Motor size. I use a 7.5 most of the time and find it ideal for use with
a car topper. The small motor is easy to carry as I used it with my
hilux with the boat on top. I find that I can use anything between 3
and 30 depending on what is available.

I was thinking of a 8 or 9.9 hp motor as that is the heaviest I could
manage - sounds like either would be OK. And I have been using a 8hp with
my fibreglass 12 footer and that is much heavier than either of the tinnys
- shame it too heavy for a car topper.

as I have seen the
river with the tide against the wind produce 1m+ waves consider that in
some places it gets worse than that.

That is my worry about the vnose punt - I wonder if it would be safe in
those conditions?

Both are great, if you want a fishing holiday where you want to catch a
feed almost every day and try every hot spot get a dingy, 1 petrol and
an electric motor. For a holiday where you might want to do some lake
or creek fishing and want a stable and trouble free fishing platform or
if you are unexperienced with small boats the V-nose will serve you
well.

I sort of want both - mostly lakes and rivers, but bays are good for
fishing

The V-Nose looks better on the car and seems to be trendy.

I'm now stuck up here in Lae where there are too few tinnys and the
small boat is a 22 foot banana boat. The Black bass yellow fin and the
bill fish make up for it, now where did I put that 50W.

Have fun, and thanks again

David