Big Catifish---Bad Taste

Old October 1st, 2006, 08:31 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Bowcatz

Default Big Catifish---Bad Taste

When I was younger, I would catch those big catfish and fry them up and eat
them. They didn't taste nearly as well as the smaller pan-sized catfish I
caught. Even when filleted. Now, if the catfish is over sixteen inches
long, I toss it back. Can you taste the difference from the big five
pounders and up to the smaller two pounders or less?

Old October 1st, 2006, 05:01 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
JC

We go after and catch 20-70 lb blues and flatheads on the Missouri River all
the time. We swim them in a tank with an aeration system for 2-3 days
before cleaning. The taste is no different from the small ones.

We also grill the slabs from the larger ones over charcoal. These are
great!

Jim

Old October 2nd, 2006, 01:47 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Rodney Long

Bowcatz wrote:

When I was younger, I would catch those big catfish and fry them up and eat
them. They didn't taste nearly as well as the smaller pan-sized catfish I
caught. Even when filleted. Now, if the catfish is over sixteen inches
long, I toss it back. Can you taste the difference from the big five
pounders and up to the smaller two pounders or less?

I always thought this, a few years ago, I gut hooked a 48 lb blue, he
was bleeding bad and I knew he would not survive, well Here I was
dressing that brut out and a neighbor walks over,, I offer him half the
fillets,, while I was still cleaning it, my wife heated up the grease,,
that was the best cat fish I had ever tasted,, and like a fool, I had
just given away 20# of those stakes, I walked over to his house and
asked for them back,, telling hem the wife had just cooked some of it,
and it was terrible,, he busted out laughing, and told me I would have
to fight him to get that fish back. (must have been that big grin on my
face, that let him know I was lying my butt off) Since that day I have
keep many over 30# and all of them were fabulous eating.

Now I won't keep but one that size on a fishing trip, if I catch more
than one hog , I start throwing them back. I only fish for cats when I
need the fish to eat,, and never keep more than a 60 day supply (enough
for about 4 to 6 fish fries for the whole family)

--
Rodney Long,
Inventor of the Mojo SpecTastic "WIGGLE" rig, SpecTastic Thread,
Old October 2nd, 2006, 05:01 AM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
Bowcatz

Down here in Mississippi, it is advised not to eat any kind of fish over 24
inches in length. Lots of mercury in the water.

I don't have an oxygenation tank to store live fish in for a few days. I'm
sure it does sweeten the flesh getting the pollutants from the flesh.

Old October 5th, 2006, 11:59 PM posted to alt.fishing.catfish
sunfishin

When we go down to Sanatee Cooper we always bring back catfish that comes
from the 20lb and up range...and it is just as good as the smaller cats.
ummm.,,,,,,,,catfish