River Flyfishing Home Counties

Old September 5th, 2006, 12:11 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Default River Flyfishing Home Counties

Hello,

I am moving back to the UK from the US. Not sure where yet, but near
London. What's foremost on my mind is where am I going to fish? After
browsing the web for some nice river fly fishing anywhere near where I
may end up I am in a near panic. I can't afford to spend 150 quid for a
day on the river or have the time to drive all the way to south Wales.
Any tips anyone?

While in the USA fly fishing has become my No 1 passion over the last
few years. For 25 dollars a year I could fish anywhere I wanted in my
state, I usually manage to wade or float for smallmouth bass and trout
at least 3 times a week after work and the occasional Saturday or
Sunday for steelhead and salmon. All practically for free.

cheers, Robert

Old September 5th, 2006, 12:37 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson

wrote in message
ups.com...

I am moving back to the UK from the US. Not sure where yet, but near
London. What's foremost on my mind is where am I going to fish? After
browsing the web for some nice river fly fishing anywhere near where I
may end up I am in a near panic. I can't afford to spend 150 quid for a
day on the river or have the time to drive all the way to south Wales.
Any tips anyone?

It all depends how much time you want to spend on the
London Orbital (ring-road). There are a few very famous
trout lakes in Kent and cheap or free stream fishing in
Kent and Oxon., so it makes a difference which side
of London you live. You even see fly fishers on the
Welsh Harp pond (they tell me.)

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old September 5th, 2006, 01:40 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
[email protected]

Hi Don,

I will most likey be on the Bucks/Berks side of town, somewhere up on
the M4 or M40.
Oxfordshire sounds good, do you have details?

thanks,

Rob

Don Phillipson wrote:
ups.com...

Old September 5th, 2006, 03:35 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
asadi

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,
All practically for free.

cheers, Robert

I have never found a place in the USA that meets your criteria. I mean the
burgers and the beer,,,,sheesh, it adds up!

john

Old September 5th, 2006, 05:47 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek Moody

In article . com,
wrote:
Hello,

I am moving back to the UK from the US. Not sure where yet, but near
London. What's foremost on my mind is where am I going to fish? After
browsing the web for some nice river fly fishing anywhere near where I
may end up I am in a near panic. I can't afford to spend 150 quid for a
day on the river or have the time to drive all the way to south Wales.
Any tips anyone?

Yes. Don't go to London - too many other people wanting to fish see?

How far is 'Near?' - or do you measure it in commuting time?

The nearest good quality, relatively cheap and not oversubscribed wild
trout river fishing would be the Kennet or better the Salisbury area (Avon
and tribs). The Chiltern waters are horribly overpriced and the Hampshire
rivers are both overpriced and overstocked.

There are some artificial looking waters in Surrey, I was invited to fish a
so-called chalk stream stretch of the Wey once but I took one look at the
hulking rainbows in there and declined.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 5th, 2006, 01:06 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Don Phillipson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi Don,

I will most likey be on the Bucks/Berks side of town, somewhere up on
the M4 or M40.
Oxfordshire sounds good, do you have details?

I would start with the Windrush at Stonesfield.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old September 5th, 2006, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Ellis Morgan

In article . com,
writes
Hello,

I am moving back to the UK from the US. Not sure where yet, but near
London. What's foremost on my mind is where am I going to fish? After
browsing the web for some nice river fly fishing anywhere near where I
may end up I am in a near panic. I can't afford to spend 150 quid for a
day on the river or have the time to drive all the way to south Wales.
Any tips anyone?

While in the USA fly fishing has become my No 1 passion over the last
few years. For 25 dollars a year I could fish anywhere I wanted in my
state, I usually manage to wade or float for smallmouth bass and trout
at least 3 times a week after work and the occasional Saturday or
Sunday for steelhead and salmon. All practically for free.

cheers, Robert

look at this document and search (say) on "windrush"
http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk..._ticket_rivers
_562861.pdf#search=%22farmoor%20windrush%20%20fly% 20fishing%22

look at http://www.salisburydistrictac.co.uk/
or at http://www.cotswoldangling.co.uk/
or at http://www.grhe.co.uk/
and http://www.christchurchac.org.uk/

google "darent valley trout fishers"

point google at uk.rec.fishing.game and search on "windrush"

good affordable near London is hard to find ...
--
Ellis Morgan
Old September 5th, 2006, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Andy Lawson

wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello,

I am moving back to the UK from the US. Not sure where yet, but near
London. What's foremost on my mind is where am I going to fish? After
browsing the web for some nice river fly fishing anywhere near where I
may end up I am in a near panic. I can't afford to spend 150 quid for a
day on the river or have the time to drive all the way to south Wales.
Any tips anyone?

While in the USA fly fishing has become my No 1 passion over the last
few years. For 25 dollars a year I could fish anywhere I wanted in my
state, I usually manage to wade or float for smallmouth bass and trout
at least 3 times a week after work and the occasional Saturday or
Sunday for steelhead and salmon. All practically for free.

cheers, Robert

Hi Robert,

Once you've completed your move back to the UK and if you're within
reasonable travelling distance to West Oxfordshire, drop a note back on this
NG and I'll pass on my contact details. I'm the membership secretary for a
small club fly fishing in on the River Windrush between Witney and Minster
Lovell, Oxfordshire. Approx 3/4 mile single bank and wet & dry fly fishing
for Brown Trout. Season is from April 1st to September 30th. Cost currently
£75 per season.

Regards,

Andy Lawson

Old September 6th, 2006, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek Moody

In article , Ellis Morgan
wrote:

look at http://www.salisburydistrictac.co.uk/

Well worth it

or at http://www.cotswoldangling.co.uk/
or at http://www.grhe.co.uk/

This is my local club. A waste of time, money and first-class water.
- Purist snobbery prohibits methods likely to catch the better fish.
I have fished it all over the years as guest or on a day ticket but they
insist on minute dries and upstream nymphs only (when banging the biggest fly
in the box down under each bush in turn is the way to go) - and when the
minnows are spawning will they let you use a sculpin pattern? Of course not,
you might go and catch one of those 8lb+ wildies...

and http://www.christchurchac.org.uk/

Pretty good but the better flyfishing is on all-methods water so don't be
surprised to meet all sorts on the bank.

Cheerio,

Old September 6th, 2006, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.game,rec.outdoors.fishing.fly
Derek Moody

In article . com,
wrote:

While in the USA fly fishing has become my No 1 passion over the last
few years. For 25 dollars a year I could fish anywhere I wanted in my
state, I usually manage to wade or float for smallmouth bass and trout

I only just realised what you've been doing. This is a game (in UK trout
and salmon) ng so naturally I assumed you were seeking the same

- but if you're happy fishing for other fish then there's quite a lot of
good flyfishing to be had - for coarse and sea fish - for a much lower price
or sometimes free. Again you will do well to get out of London but you
won't need to go as far. (Strictly OT here but wth) Chub, dace, perch and
pike all take a fly and can be found in most home counties rivers. Many
smallish sea fish will take a lure and can be caught along the south coast
wherever there are accessible features/rocks away from bathers.

Cheerio,