And you said it couldn't happen

Old May 20th, 2006, 04:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default And you said it couldn't happen

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/expats.php

Those rat *******s. Because of the cost of rentals in HK, my housing benefit
is technically higher than my income. And now I'm going to be taxed on this
'invisible money' at a rate higher than if I was even living in the US.

--riverman

Old May 20th, 2006, 05:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"riverman" wrote in message ...
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/expats.php

Those rat *******s. Because of the cost of rentals in HK, my housing
benefit is technically higher than my income. And now I'm going to be
taxed on this 'invisible money' at a rate higher than if I was even living
in the US.

If what you say about your income is accurate, get your contract changed and
the housing allowance moved into your base salary.

Otherwise, I'd like to sympathize but I don't get my first 80K tax exempt
nor my housing paid for.

Old May 20th, 2006, 05:25 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Wayne Knight" wrote in message
"riverman" wrote in message
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/expats.php

Those rat *******s. Because of the cost of rentals in HK, my housing
benefit is technically higher than my income. And now I'm going to be
taxed on this 'invisible money' at a rate higher than if I was even
living in the US.

If what you say about your income is accurate, get your contract changed
and the housing allowance moved into your base salary.

The school is looking at ways to legally accomodate this new law, but their
first impression is that there will be a mass exodus of americans in the
next few years.

Otherwise, I'd like to sympathize but I don't get my first 80K tax exempt
nor my housing paid for.

'First' 80K? Who makes anywhere near $80K? And my HK taxes are already
higher than my US taxes would be, as they are at a flat rate, with no
exemption or standard deduction. Also, you get to have a retirement plan, a
ROTH, a representative in the government to protect your rights, etc. You
also get the option to own your housing, and to write off the interest on
your loan against your mortage payment, which is akin to having your housing
paid for and then some.

We've been down this road before, but trust me; being an expat worker is
just another slice of real life; it comes with its benefits and its
expenses, but its not the end of the rainbow. Its a choice of lifestyle
based on knowing the benefits and deficits. Getting a tax benefit isn't some
sort of free pass to nevernever land, and when its invoked on a teacher's
salary, and offset by the expenses of living overseas, its not even such a
big thing. My out of pocket expenses for living overseas far exceed the
taxes I'd be paying on my salary if I worked back home.

But now, the primary benefit just went away, and a huge expense just
increased. Hitting expat workers for a tax hike is just a cheap shot, as our
tax benefit is absolutely nothing compared to the tax release Bush just gave
the ultra rich, and we have no lobby, no legal representation, and no one
looking out for our side. And it generates a very strange type of
sympathetic support for Bush when other 'victims' of his fiscal
mismanagement see him picking on someone else other than them. Its a
smokescreen for the tax cuts to the wealthy.

--riverman

Old May 20th, 2006, 09:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"riverman" wrote in message ...

LOL. http://tinyurl.com/p87wu

"But repealing the exclusion would also pinch many less-fortunate Americans
in low-tax overseas locations such as Hong Kong, Saudi Arabia and Singapore.
These workers include US taxpayers hired on increasingly common "local" pay
packages - which contain fewer perks and are cheaper for companies to
provide - and people like teachers and not-for-profit workers, who enjoy no
corporate largess. "

--riverman

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:35:55 +0800, "riverman" wrote:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/expats.php

Those rat *******s. Because of the cost of rentals in HK, my housing benefit
is technically higher than my income. And now I'm going to be taxed on this
'invisible money' at a rate higher than if I was even living in the US.

--riverman

I'm with ya, brother...just tell me which one of those rat *******s
forced you into being an expat worker, and I'll not only see about
getting you back to the US, but I'll taunt him unmercifully... Which
one, huh, which one?

Got your back,
Old May 20th, 2006, 01:14 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"riverman" wrote in message
http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/expats.php

Those rat *******s. Because of the cost of rentals in HK, my housing
benefit is technically higher than my income. And now I'm going to be
taxed on this 'invisible money' at a rate higher than if I was even
living in the US.

If what you say about your income is accurate, get your contract changed
and the housing allowance moved into your base salary.

The school is looking at ways to legally accomodate this new law, but their
first impression is that there will be a mass exodus of americans in the
next few years.

Otherwise, I'd like to sympathize but I don't get my first 80K tax exempt
nor my housing paid for.

'First' 80K? Who makes anywhere near $80K?

OK, my brother, I'm still with ya, but I'm kinda wondering what's the
problem here? If you don't make 80K, I'm guessing the new 82K isn't a
problem, either, but with these rat *******s having forced you into
this...

And my HK taxes are already
higher than my US taxes would be, as they are at a flat rate, with no
exemption or standard deduction. Also, you get to have a retirement plan, a
ROTH, a representative in the government to protect your rights, etc. You
also get the option to own your housing, and to write off the interest on
your loan against your mortage payment, which is akin to having your housing
paid for and then some.

Yeah, Wayne...I just hope you thank God every morning that when they
came to force you into working outside the US, you escaped and have
managed to stay out of their clutches ever since...I'm planning on doing
what I can to help my brother Myron escape - surely you're with us,
aren't ya, my brother?

We've been down this road before, but trust me; being an expat worker is
just another slice of real life; it comes with its benefits and its
expenses, but its not the end of the rainbow.

Its a choice of lifestyle

Oh...hmm, ya know, my ex-stepbrother-in-law, it's kinda hard to work up
a really good sense of outrage against a stove company when the "victim"
claims they got a bad burn and a scar that said "Do Not Sit Here" _EVERY
time_ they hopped up on it...

HTH,

Old May 20th, 2006, 01:33 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in message
On Sat, 20 May 2006 11:35:55 +0800, "riverman" wrote:

http://www.iht.com/articles/2006/05/...ess/expats.php

Those rat *******s. Because of the cost of rentals in HK, my housing
benefit
is technically higher than my income. And now I'm going to be taxed on
this
'invisible money' at a rate higher than if I was even living in the US.

--riverman

I'm with ya, brother...just tell me which one of those rat *******s
forced you into being an expat worker, and I'll not only see about
getting you back to the US, but I'll taunt him unmercifully... Which
one, huh, which one?

Got your back,

Yeah, you have a point. Sorry for the bandwidth...I have no idea why I
posted this here; there isn't anything I'm asking of anyone. I'm just
reacting because I'm feeling betrayed by my government again, and bull****
about how damn hard it is to get ahead in this freaking life, and I'm
talking to my primary community since I don't live in the US, surrounded by
neighbors and friends. Something I suspect you certainly don't have any
clue about, as you believe I live some sort of life of gravy surrounded by
luxury and relieved of any financial worries.

Cannibals, that what we've become. With all sure love to see other people
struggle to try to make a living. If anyone gets a benefit, and its not us,
then lets rejoice when they lose it. Certainly its an unfair advantage. What
right do they have to get something I don't get, just because they live and
work outside the country? And if something is prohibited to them or some
other expenses are extreme because of their lifestyle, then its probably
justified. Because expat teachers are obviously getting fabulously rich
doing what they do, and the tax break and housing benefit they are allowed
are most likely just excess spending money on top of a lucrative salary and
luxuriant lifestyle. Just like those corporate execs who closing this tax
'loophole' was intended to impact. Besides, even if they are barely getting
by, at least they're in Europe, or Hong Kong, or Africa or something. They
get to travel.

Forgive me if I don't post here for a bit.

--riverman

Old May 20th, 2006, 02:08 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

On Sat, 20 May 2006 20:33:18 +0800, "riverman" wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I don't claim, nor have I ever, anything about your financial situation.
But if didn't know anything about what it would be like before you
jumped in, that's on you. And if you were being taxed in such fashion
so as to move you from a "live of gravy surrounded by luxury" to
poverty, that might be a different story. However, the link you posted
gave the example of someone who made 75K and was provided a 3000.00USD a
month Paris apartment, whose tax bill was going from 600.00USD to about
5100.00USD. That 4500.00 difference is more than a goodly number of
people in world make, so it's kinda tough to get all worked up and
outraged for that poor unfortunate, toughing it out on a mere 71K in a
paid-for Paris apartment...

[...]

Hey, then quit teaching and become a corporate exec. If you got into
teaching for the purpose of getting rich, you ****ed up...in several
ways...

HTH,

Old May 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

riverman wrote:
wrote:
I'm with ya, brother...just tell me which one of those rat *******s
forced you into being an expat worker, and I'll not only see about
getting you back to the US, but I'll taunt him unmercifully... Which
one, huh, which one?

Got your back,

Yeah, you have a point. Sorry for the bandwidth...
snip
Forgive me if I don't post here for a bit.

That's some pretty thin skin you got there Myron.

The gubmint screwed you with your pants on and neither
Knight nor Dickie Dean has any sympathy for you. So
friggin' what ? You have my sincerest condolences on
your impending financial loss, now quit yer whining.

--
Ken Fortenberry
Old May 20th, 2006, 02:40 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Ken Fortenberry" wrote in message
et...
riverman wrote:
wrote:
I'm with ya, brother...just tell me which one of those rat *******s
forced you into being an expat worker, and I'll not only see about
getting you back to the US, but I'll taunt him unmercifully... Which
one, huh, which one?

Got your back,

Yeah, you have a point. Sorry for the bandwidth...
snip
Forgive me if I don't post here for a bit.

That's some pretty thin skin you got there Myron.

The gubmint screwed you with your pants on and neither
Knight nor Dickie Dean has any sympathy for you. So
friggin' what ? You have my sincerest condolences on
your impending financial loss, now quit yer whining.

Nah, its not their lack of sympathy, Ken. I feel a bit embarassed for
bringing it here.

myron