"scud" hooks, fact or fancy?

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:10 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Default "scud" hooks, fact or fancy?

I don't nymph much but it's time to replenish my nymph hook supply and tie
up a few each of the ties I do use each season.

I notice that more and more I see nymphs tied on curved shank hooks.

My question for those of you that enjoy nymphing enough to have developed
and tested an opinion .... do these curved ties actually fish better than
the same tie/ same size/ same day and place on a straight shank hook? Is
their increased use the product of function or simply fad?

They look cute, but I find these hooks a pain to tie on and even to store in
slit C&F type boxes .... should I bite the bullet and buy scud hooks or
stick with my straight old guy models?

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

I agree that they're a little tougher to get in and out of the C & F
slots. You should just stick with the straight shanks if that's what
you like.

If you do get any scud hooks - get the TMC 2488. I think it's the best
scud hook, especially in the smaller sizes, because it's got a straight
eye.

For a while I tied lots of nymphs on scud hooks but now I'm back to the
TMC 3761 most of the time, especially the bead heads. These are just
my opinions though because most of the time I'm just guessing.

I'll warn you though, Larry, that these nymphs and especially the bead
heads don't float very well. (G). bh

Old January 30th, 2006, 09:59 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Larry L schrieb:

I don't nymph much but it's time to replenish my nymph hook supply and tie
up a few each of the ties I do use each season.

I notice that more and more I see nymphs tied on curved shank hooks.

My question for those of you that enjoy nymphing enough to have developed
and tested an opinion .... do these curved ties actually fish better than
the same tie/ same size/ same day and place on a straight shank hook? Is
their increased use the product of function or simply fad?

They look cute, but I find these hooks a pain to tie on and even to store in
slit C&F type boxes .... should I bite the bullet and buy scud hooks or
stick with my straight old guy models?

Some flies, notably scuds, hydropsyche, and some other free living
caddis are best imitated with imitations tied on curved hooks, at least
to human eyes. Whether the fish take much notice is a moot point.

For most nymphs curved hooks dont seem to make any difference to their
catching capabilities, and they also have some disadvantages.

In most cases, where a curve is deemed necessary, it is usually
possible to achieve it by using the appropriate dressing.

As a general rule, ordinary good quality hooks are more than sufficient
for practically all applications.

TL
MC

Old January 30th, 2006, 10:15 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"bruiser" wrote

I'll warn you though, Larry, that these nymphs and especially the bead
heads don't float very well. (G). bh

LOL, that recalls a moment so embarassing it's taken years for me to 'come
out" about it.

I fisrst fly fished in '71 and maybe in '72 or '73 I went into a fly shop
and asked for help selecting 'killer patterns" for whereever I was. I
stopped the salesperson when the quanity seemed to appoach the limits of my
bank account and went fishing. But I was back next day to complaining and
trying and to return some flies that absolutely sucked because they just
wouldn't float regardless of how much gunk I smeared on 'em.

In retrospect, I have to admire the saleman's restraint, as he smiled, and
chuckled, but didn't outright gaffaw as he explained that they were weighted
and supposed to be fished near the bottom G

As I think about it, that moment may have had a lasting effect on my general
dislike of combining lead with fishing G

I heard somewhere recently that when Karl Rove was in High School he got in
a huge argument with a fellow student that was a 'liberal' Democrat. The
argument turned physical and Rove got the **** kicked out of him, in front
of many students, by that Democrat .................. one that happened to
be a GIRL. I think that may explain the man !

We all have fleeting moments that shape us for life.

Old January 30th, 2006, 10:38 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

wrote in
ups.com:

Larry L schrieb:

[...]

I tie a scud on a straight hook, and use a moon-shaped slice of lead
Twist-On to curve things. I like this because it gets the fly down very
fast, and its a local pattern with an interesting history.

That said, I also tie a scud on a curved hook, and some caddis on curved
hooks, and they tie much, much faster. If speed is important to you, and
you plan to tie curved patterns, go with the curved hooks. You'll use
them all anyway, and you'll save some money on materials, so it isn't a
financial decision. You'll save a ton of time.

If you want to use straight imitations, you don't need curved hooks, but
thats' a different story.

Do curved hooks catch more fish when an appropriate pattern is tied on
them?? Don't know.

--
Scott
Reverse name to reply

Old January 31st, 2006, 12:55 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Larry L wrote:
I don't nymph much but it's time to replenish my nymph hook supply and tie
up a few each of the ties I do use each season.

I notice that more and more I see nymphs tied on curved shank hooks.

My question for those of you that enjoy nymphing enough to have developed
and tested an opinion .... do these curved ties actually fish better than
the same tie/ same size/ same day and place on a straight shank hook? Is
their increased use the product of function or simply fad?

They look cute, but I find these hooks a pain to tie on and even to store in
slit C&F type boxes .... should I bite the bullet and buy scud hooks or
stick with my straight old guy models?

I agree with the "look cute" comment, but IMO, the only time I think
they're a significant improvement is on small flies. On these the
scud hooks with the straight eyes, 2488, are the ones to use. Bruiser
turned me on to them and they do provide a significantly better hook
bite for the size of the fly. I also use them on a number of dry
patterns especially for BWO's, small PMD's and midges. I caught my
heaviest Rainbow taken on a dry on a fly tied on a 22, 2488. I also like
them for small soft hackles.

Willi

Old January 31st, 2006, 01:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"bruiser" wrote

- get the TMC 2488.

I d/loaded a .pdf of Tiemco's catalog and it looks like a nice hook. I've
used curved hooks only for caddis as Mike suggested and half-in half-out
emergers as Willi noted, in the past and I've decided that is the only real
use I plan for the future. If he won't eat a BHFBPT on a straight hook, I
ain't going to catch him G

I prefer barbless hooks and a couple places I fish the warden is very picky
about it, using panty hose to see if any catches to determine if you are
'de-barbed enough. Have you ever tried the TMC 206 BL?

I've never specifically looked but I don't remember seeing TMC 2488 hooks in
my travels ... where are you getting them?

Old January 31st, 2006, 01:43 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"Larry L" wrote in message

They look cute, but I find these hooks a pain to tie on and even to store
in slit C&F type boxes .... should I bite the bullet and buy scud hooks or
stick with my straight old guy models?

I only use them for tying a caddis larvae imitiation. They are a PITA and
like the others have said, straight is good enough.

Old January 31st, 2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

Larry L wrote:
I don't nymph much but it's time to replenish my nymph hook supply and tie
up a few each of the ties I do use each season.

I notice that more and more I see nymphs tied on curved shank hooks.

My question for those of you that enjoy nymphing enough to have developed
and tested an opinion .... do these curved ties actually fish better than
the same tie/ same size/ same day and place on a straight shank hook? Is
their increased use the product of function or simply fad?

They look cute, but I find these hooks a pain to tie on and even to store in
slit C&F type boxes .... should I bite the bullet and buy scud hooks or
stick with my straight old guy models?

I use then a lot for tying midge larvae and pupae, and emerging midges.
They work great, es[pecially in the small sizes.

Tim Lysyk
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly

"bruiser" wrote in message
ups.com...
I agree that they're a little tougher to get in and out of the C & F
slots. You should just stick with the straight shanks if that's what
you like.
If you do get any scud hooks - get the TMC 2488. I think it's the best
scud hook, especially in the smaller sizes, because it's got a straight
eye.
For a while I tied lots of nymphs on scud hooks but now I'm back to the
TMC 3761 most of the time, especially the bead heads. These are just
my opinions though because most of the time I'm just guessing.

(snip)
(G). bh
Hi bh,
Got some flies sitting here for you for the San Juan Clave . . . heh . . .
heh . . . that was 2007, right?
Size 22 and 24. Coming to you sometime. (heck, can't believe I need to pay
another 2 cents for postage, and I gotta figure out how to use the old
stamps and then put on a 2 cent stamp also.)
For scud hooks.
Glanced through a couple boxes. It seems I use some more than I thought.
But for the down eye hooks . . . and blasphemy to some . . . I always offset
the hook at bit with a forceps, or in the vise. Hookups work out better.
For general use I would go with a wide gap straight eye something, and still
offset a bit.
DaveMohnsen
Denver
(the TMC 2488 Bruiser's recommendation is good. For a bit I used a Daiichi
1140 or something, but their marketing needed a bit of help)