how can i attract pike?

Old August 4th, 2005, 07:57 PM
fishin' kid fishin' kid is offline
Junior Member

Default how can i attract pike?

i've been trying to catch one of the big pike on my local river,
i was wondering if any-one could give me some tips on how to attract and catch them.
Old August 5th, 2005, 01:16 AM
Bob La Londe

Fish for bass with a very expensive balss lure that you can't afford to
replace.

--
Bob La Londe
www.YumaBassMan.com

Old August 5th, 2005, 05:54 PM
Dr Epstein

"fishin' kid" wrote in message

i've been trying to catch one of the big pike on my local river,
i was wondering if any-one could give me some tips on how to attract
and catch them.

fishin' kid

Leaving aside artificials for the moment, do you have any locations nearby
like a stream where you can catch
suckers or a pond that has big golden shiners?

Old August 5th, 2005, 10:08 PM
wcrbudox

snip

Hold your feet in the water and splash and wiggle them a lot!

Old August 5th, 2005, 11:14 PM
Mike

A sucker or other good 6"+ hardy minnow suspended under a slip bobber will
work very well. If you wish to cast with artificial lures Mepps Agila and
Daredevils work well. Bass spinnerbaits and larger crankbaits also work
well. Find a crankbait that looks like the smaller fish in your river.
Pike tend to be pretty aggressive and will hit a variety of lures; we used
to catch them in Spring on Arbogast Jitterbugs on the surface - what a
blast! Bob is right though - I seem to lose my most expensive spinnerbaits
to pike!

Mike

Old August 6th, 2005, 05:27 PM
fishin' kid fishin' kid is offline
Junior Member

thanks for the tips,

i was thinking about using some live baits but my dad won't let me fish with anything that isn't already dead, frozen and in a packet so i cant.

I did buy some sprats though, (they only cost £1.40) and i'm going to give them a try.

one more thing...
how small does a dead-bait have to be for a perch to swallow it because there are some nice ones where i go, my dad caught a 1lb 10 ounce one and i've seen much bigger ones.
Old August 7th, 2005, 10:17 PM
Mike

A perch that size will eat things surprisingly large - I'd stick with 2 to 4
inch baits though.

Mike

Old August 8th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Dr. Epstein

"fishin' kid" wrote in message

thanks for the tips,

i was thinking about using some live baits but my dad won't let me
fish with anything that isn't already dead, frozen and in a packet so i
cant.

I did buy some sprats though, (they only cost £1.40) and i'm going to
give them a try.

one more thing...
how small does a dead-bait have to be for a perch to swallow it because
there are some nice ones where i go, my dad caught a 1lb 10 ounce one
and i've seen much bigger ones.

--
fishin' kid

Wish you had said you were in England earlier.
Over there some people play on the fact that Pike will eat dead fish
and they use a piece of Mackerel (yes..mackerel) with skin on, with
a short wire leader. So not only does the bait not have to be alive, but
it doesn't have to match the baitfish in the waters (or even be a freshwater
fish).

Old August 10th, 2005, 05:37 PM
bass109 bass109 is offline
Junior Member

Location: kansas

Big fish, need big bait. pike love to eat shinners and chubs. Small bullheads are one of pikes favorite foods, even more than bluegill.