Catfish Bait?

Old March 18th, 2005, 05:08 PM
RogerN

Default Catfish Bait?

Are the catfish stink baits any good? I have tried them a time or two and
have never caught anything on any that I have tried. Or perhaps I should
ask what are the best catfish baits?

Thanks!

Old March 18th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Deepwater

As I've said before, my best luck catching Cats has always been with fresh
cut Goldeye. The bigger the bait, the bigger the catch!. I don't have
anyluck with "stink baits" at all.
nk.net...

Old March 18th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Pepperoni

"RogerN" wrote in message
nk.net...
Are the catfish stink baits any good? I have tried them a time or two and
have never caught anything on any that I have tried. Or perhaps I should
ask what are the best catfish baits?

I like using plain old hot dogs cut about 1/4 inch thick. Others locally
like to use panfish fillets rolled with the meat outside, to good result.

Old March 19th, 2005, 01:39 AM
Pepperoni

Don't knock hot dogs as bait until you try it. My "picnic baits" (hot dogs
and frozen corn) accounted for about 40 fish last year over 8 pounds. Carp
have a sweet tooth and cats love meat; both feed by smell.

Pepperoni
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/flathead.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/earlymorncarp.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/gonefishin02.htm

Old March 19th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Marie B

Old March 19th, 2005, 07:05 PM
BILL B

Old March 20th, 2005, 12:08 AM
Pepperoni

"Marie B" wrote in message
my husband wanted me to ask you about the hot dog bait----do you cut the
wennie about an inch long and does it go on a treble hook??????? in the
area we are in and around is small man made lakes, in other words we are
in a bad fishing area,and he said if he caught one over a pound or a 30
pounder that he would have a sanford and son red foxx heart attack l.o.
l.----------- thank you for the answer-----marie

I just cut them in slices 1/4 inch or a little less thick. They look like
coins.

If I have thick skinned franks, I can hook them through the skin, otherwise
I just hook them near the center, so the hook shank lies along a flat side.
I would cut the thickness to match the hook gap; the meat is firm enough to
hold the hook tight. I don't use trebles to prevent hangups. A single shot
for weight, just big enough to hold in a slight current where I fish. No
leader, snap or swivel. Use a small bronze hook for strength, not light
wire. I also carry frozen corn for the carp, usually 8-9 kernals will cover
my hook; same hook and weight rig as for the hot dogs. I make up my baits
and keep them in small plastic pill bottles. I keep them frozen for
convenience; just grab them on the way out the door.

When fishing, I merely keep a slightly slack line, so I can see the take
when the line twitches. The big cats don't hesitate, a couple twitches of
the slack line, and I set the hook. Getting them moving off the bottom is
the problem, I need to get them moving so I can get them downstream 20 yards
where I can land them by hand. They will keep pointed upstream into the
current, once I get them up I just let them drift into position for landing.

I will start fishing in a couple weeks. (as soon as its above freezing temp
at dawn) I'll take the camera for some fresh pictures. I have my best
early luck on the river where the carp move to spawn and are stopped below a
wall dam. The cats move in to feed on carp spawn. I usually fish 6-8 am,
but I may make a few overnight trips this year if the weather warms up.

Pepperoni

Rhuda's Sigs

Old March 20th, 2005, 08:17 AM
BILL B

Old March 20th, 2005, 08:50 AM
Pepperoni

"BILL B" wrote in message
HEY PEPPERONI '' THANK YOU FOR TAKING TIME AND GIVING ME THE FISHING
ADVICE, AND ESPECIALLY ABOUT THE HOTDOG BAIT AS YOU CAN TELL I ENJOY
FISHING, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ARE BITING, AND THANKS FOR NOT CUTTING
THIS DUMB DUMB DOWN L.O.L.-------HOPE YOU HAVE A NICE
WEEKEND---------BILL B.

No problem. The cats hunt by smell. It's either the high fat content, or
the salt and garlic, but they love, 'em. A lot of other fishermen show up
with hot dogs the day after they see me catch a few.... haha. Carp will
pick them up sometimes, too, but carp seem to want to chew and spit out the
bait a few times to taste it; corn is a better bait for them. (carp have a
sweet tooth)

I wish we had a bigger river. The Huron only runs 4-5 feet deep most places
nearby. The cats get a lot bigger on bigger rivers. We have channel cats,
too, but they don't seem to travel as far upriver. I moved this year, so I
may be able to get some channel cat photos this year. They run up the river
each night and return to the huge deep lake nearby. Channel cats are
beautiful fish, silvery with black speckles and graceful forked tails.

I'll make some new photos starting in about a month.

Pepperoni