Finding Depth

Old November 8th, 2003, 10:11 PM
Danny

Default Finding Depth

Hi all. I know this sounds like a dumb question, but how do you plumb the
depth over 6ft?

I have heard the fraze 'stop-knot', but surely this will catch on the eyes
of the rod?

I am open to ideas.

Cheers.

Old November 8th, 2003, 10:45 PM
Mark Fry

Hi Danny, its not a silly question,but if the stop knot is tied small enough
it wont catch on your eyes. Always remember though to leave about a 10cm
tail either end of the knot. If you go to the link I've included and then go
on the knots page it shows you how to tie a stop knot or slider knot as its
sometimes known. Its useful when fishing over depth, although at a depth of
6 feet you shouldn't need a slider.
http://www.floatsgone.btinternet.co.uk/index.html
To find your depth I use a useful device called a Swop-Lok, have a look at
their web page, its easier to use than plumbing the depth sometimes. Link
below.
Hope this helps.
Regards Mark.
http://www.swop-lok.com/

Old November 9th, 2003, 05:25 PM
www.fishing.auctions.co.uk

You ensure the 'stop knot' or 'slider knot' has longish tails. These then do
not get caught on the eyes of the rod.
You can plumb or fish(with a slider float) any depth using this method

--
John
www.fishing-auctions.co.uk

Old November 9th, 2003, 07:01 PM
Danny

Cheers guys.

Old November 11th, 2003, 10:14 PM
Matt \(IS Team\)

"Danny" wrote in message
Cheers guys.

On a completely unknown water, where I have absolutely no idea of depth, I
use the following home-made device (needs to be homemade -never seen one in
a tackle shop):

Materials:
1" length of 1/4" balsa wood
2 swivels
White gloss paint (white for better visibility)
Super glue
1/2" of the inner shielding on cooker power cable (pref black)
30 mins of your time!

Step by step:

1. drill 6mm holes 3mm down into the ends of the balsa wood (if you have
really soft wood you can skip this and just force the swivels in!)
2. glue the swivels in the resulting holes
3. glue the 1/2" of cable shielding to the side of the wood, in a line with
the swivels
4. paint after the glue is dry

Now, your depth finder is ready to use!

To use, simply pass your line through top swivel, cable shielding, then
bottom swivel and tie a bomb direct to the end ont he line.
You will now notice that the 'depth finder' slides up and down the line
freely with slack line, lift the bomb of the deck and it'll lock in place,
therein lies the principle!
Cast out to your desired area and give slack line until the wood floats to
the surface, then wind in keeping the tension as even as possible...
Voila!

I have found these depth finders to be accurate to + or - 3% at 11metres
(having tested accuracy using "conventional" plumbing methods on the
pole)...

Matt...