Newbie Fishing Kit

Old November 3rd, 2003, 02:20 PM
pedro

Default Newbie Fishing Kit

I went out with a friend fishing for Pike the other day and had a great
time, i'd like to look into buying myself a set of kit to go again and am
looking for a bit of advice as to what to get

We were fishing for pike with livebaits and i was borrowing my friends rod,
a Hexagraph 11'6" according to the writing on the side.

I've had a look at some prices and get the feeling that the hexagraph is a
pretty expensive rod, i'd prefer not to pay that much just yet. I'd also
like to keep my options as open as possible in terms of what i can fish as
i'd like to be able to fish for other sorts of fish with the kit i get so i
can see what i like best

I'd like to pay around £200 max for the complete kit for my fist time out
(rod, reel, line, some tackle and a day ticket, i can borrow)

so can anyone offer me any advice on what sort of things to get or possibly
point me to a shop in london where I could go and talk to someone who could
fit me out with the necessary equipment

Hope this makes some sense to you all
Many thanks
Pedro

''''''
replace 'dot' with '.' to email me

Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:19 PM
pedro

Sorry me again

reading further on what people use for Pike fishing, I think I'd like to
start mainly by spinning/lure/plug/spoon etc as opposed to live/dead baiting
mainly because i'd prefer to be part of the action more than waiting for it
to come to me.

I've noticed that ebay is full of lures and spoons and plugs etc does anyone
have a particular preference or should I just buy a selection and see what
suits (i have no desire to start a holy war on which is the best method but
any advice is welcome)

I've also seen some very reasonably priced telescopic rods on ebay, e.g.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=36344677 33
would one of these be ok as a starter?

Pedro

Old November 3rd, 2003, 05:36 PM
Ergo

pedro wrote:
[...]

Hello Pedro, go here http://uk-fisherman.lithium.srv2.com/default.asp to the
pike section. They will look after you

--
Ergo ²°°³
A day without sunshine is like, well, night!

---
Don't worry I am virus free atm. rofl

Old November 3rd, 2003, 10:34 PM

I'm a bit of a newbie to the piking game too..but

I just bought a lovely 2.1m telescopic shimano spinning rod for about £45.
I'm well pleased with it.
It suits me 'cos where I'm fishing is a bit wild and overgrown - so the rod
can be collapsed down when fighting through the brambles etc.

I'm waiting delivery on some plugs bought via e-bay and I'll post and let
you know what I think of them once they arrive.

upto now I've had follows, takes and landed half a dozen pike upto about 4lb
on various cheap plugs and lures.
I hooked, and lost a huge pike (estd about 20Lb) the other day on a £3.50
diving plug so you definately don't need to spend loads on the lures!!

SS

Old November 3rd, 2003, 11:49 PM
Danny

One thing which seems to be a 'must have' for Pike fishing, which not many
people think about, is a decent pair of long handles wire cutters.

That way, if you accidentally deep hook a Pike, instead of turning it inside
out, you can try to cut the hooks, or as a last resort cut the wire trace.
Fox do a set for about £10-12. I have never had to use them, but if I do, I
will be glad I bought them.

Old November 4th, 2003, 12:13 AM
pedro

Thanks for the advice

so far i've gone on a bit of an ebay spree and bought a range of lures and
assuming the royal mail ever get their a***s back in gear i'll get them
soon. I've also bought two pike spinning rod/reel combos and a telescopic
little travel rod and some other stuff

I haven't yet got an unhooking mat, are they really necessary? we didn't
use one when i went out with my friend but he's a bit old school (hence the
livebaits which seem quite out of favour in most circles) and i'd prefer to
go home knowing that the fish are as healthy as when i arrived.

On the note of further advice does anyone have weekdays off and is located
within an hour or two of london?
I'm not currently working and can go anytime and wouldn't mind going with
someone for some advice for the first few times
I'll happily shout the day ticket anywhere reasonable and buy some
celebratory (hopefully) beers after in exchange for some tips

Old November 4th, 2003, 06:52 PM
Brownz

Totally agree with all the comments so far about piking.
I think its the most fun you can have with your clothes on in the Winter !
Not just pike either, large pearch and chub have often appeared in the net
this year.
For deadbating I use a Fox Predator 12' 3.0lb TC (which is probably a bit
extreme) Daiwa baitrunner and 10lb line.
I tend to use a large swimfeeder in a paternoster style rig with a pike
float in the winter, as the pike hug the floor in the cold weather.
I use a hooj feeder, open up the holes with a drill, and stuff it with one
large halibut pellet and mashed up deadbait.
The bait needs to hang about 1/2 a foot off the floor, so knowing your depth
is quite important.
For spinning I've been having real success with copper spoons and wasp
buzzer bass style lures at the moment.
I do all my spinning with a £30 rim spin rod and a £30 Okuma reel, the Okuma
stuff is great VFM.

My biggest pike to date is 18lb and biggest perch was 2lb 6oz, which isn't
bad as I've only ever fished a commercial fishery once in my life (and all I
caught there was one perch of about 8oz!!)
The pike was from the Weir Pools at Culham/Sutton Courtenay on the Thames.
The perch was landed spinning off the Power Stations warm water outlet at
Culham on the Thames.

Cheerz - Brownz

"s" replace webmaster with simon to reply. wrote
in message ...