Does anyone tie or use tube flies?

Old May 15th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Herman Nijland

Default Does anyone tie or use tube flies?

Padishar Creel wrote:

I have been into tube flies for a while now and I haven't seen many posts
about tube flies. Anyone have some favorite patterns, hints on their use,
or experiences to share?

Chris

I used tube flies as an experiment for perch and zander last year, the
big advantage seems to be that you can eliminate short strikes by moving
the hook towards the tail-end of the streamer. I tie them on q-tips, and
use a small piece of tubing to secure the hook.
An example is he http://home.planet.nl/~nijla141/tubefly.jpg

--
Herman
Old May 15th, 2004, 08:37 PM
Chas Wade

Herman Nijland wrote:
I used tube flies as an experiment for perch and zander last year, the
big advantage seems to be that you can eliminate short strikes by
moving
the hook towards the tail-end of the streamer. I tie them on q-tips,
and
use a small piece of tubing to secure the hook.
An example is he http://home.planet.nl/~nijla141/tubefly.jpg

That's a nice fly Herman. I'm thinking about an 8 inch long version
for pike.

Thanks,

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

Old May 16th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Herman Nijland

Chas Wade wrote:
Herman Nijland wrote:

I used tube flies as an experiment for perch and zander last year, the
big advantage seems to be that you can eliminate short strikes by
moving
the hook towards the tail-end of the streamer. I tie them on q-tips,
and
use a small piece of tubing to secure the hook.
An example is he http://home.planet.nl/~nijla141/tubefly.jpg

That's a nice fly Herman. I'm thinking about an 8 inch long version
for pike.

Thanks,

Chas
remove fly fish to reply
http://home.comcast.net/~chas.wade/w...ome.html-.html
San Juan Pictures at:
http://home.comcast.net/~chasepike/wsb/index.html

I'm not sure if I can really explain it, but I'll give it a go :-).
For pike I tied a couple of short tubes, 'dressed' with bucktail,
feathers and the usual hodgepodge of glitter and such. I more or less
stuck to one color per tube.
Crimp a treble on the end of a piece of wire, and slide on a couple of
tubes. That way you can easily change the color combination and size of
your streamer.
I even made some small tubes with only lead wire, if I need to fish the
streamers deep.
I'll see if I can get a picture on-line to clarify this g.

--
Herman
Old May 16th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Herman Nijland

Picture (ok, a lousy one) at http://home.planet.nl/~nijla141/piketubes.jpg.

--
Herman
Old May 16th, 2004, 07:07 PM
Chas Wade

Herman Nijland wrote:
Herman Nijland wrote:
I'm not sure if I can really explain it, but I'll give it a go :-).
For pike I tied a couple of short tubes, 'dressed' with bucktail,
feathers and the usual hodgepodge of glitter and such. I more or
less
stuck to one color per tube.
Crimp a treble on the end of a piece of wire, and slide on a couple
of
tubes. That way you can easily change the color combination and size
of
your streamer.
I even made some small tubes with only lead wire, if I need to fish
the
streamers deep.
I'll see if I can get a picture on-line to clarify this g.

Picture (ok, a lousy one) at
http://home.planet.nl/~nijla141/piketubes.jpg.

--
Herman

Maybe not perfect focus, but the message comes across loud and clear.
I tried some of this last year, and will be doing more now for the
upcoming trip to Great Slave Lake. One nice thing about the multi-part
flies is that you can assemble a really monstrous fly. I hadn't
thought of the weight only tube, I tried the brass cone weights, but
they acted funny sliding up and down the leader as I retrieved the fly.
Lead on the tube sounds like the perfect solution.

Thanks for the great ideas,

Old May 16th, 2004, 07:30 PM
Padishar Creel

Chas, I was advised to glue the cone to the tube before tying. I think I
read that either in my tube fly book or on the web...anyhow it does work
well...I had to drill out the tube some because the clue tended to gather a
bit at the opening of the tube.

Chris

Old May 16th, 2004, 08:09 PM
Chas Wade

"Padishar Creel" wrote:
Chas, I was advised to glue the cone to the tube before tying. I
think I
read that either in my tube fly book or on the web...anyhow it does
work
well...I had to drill out the tube some because the clue tended to
gather a
bit at the opening of the tube.

Chris,

I was using thise worm weights, and I had them entirely separate from
the fly so I could use a fly unweighted or heavily weighted.

A separate point you've probably already thought of is that you cut the
price of the flies in half by not including a hook. My experience up
north has me actually loosing only 2 or 3 flies a week, most of the
flies are just so battered I have to give up on them. Having the hook
separate lets me use more expensive hooks and get by on fewer of them.

Old May 17th, 2004, 03:21 AM
Hooked

"Chas Wade" wrote in message
s.com...

I was using thise worm weights, and I had them entirely separate from
the fly so I could use a fly unweighted or heavily weighted.

A separate point you've probably already thought of is that you cut the
price of the flies in half by not including a hook. My experience up
north has me actually loosing only 2 or 3 flies a week, most of the
flies are just so battered I have to give up on them. Having the hook
separate lets me use more expensive hooks and get by on fewer of them.

Check this out for weighting tube flies using cone heads:
http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/urkedal/conehead/

Old May 19th, 2004, 07:26 AM
Chas Wade

"Hooked" wrote:

Check this out for weighting tube flies using cone heads:
http://globalflyfisher.com/staff/urkedal/conehead/

A nice idea well presented.