QUESTION: Hooks snapping on de-barb

Old September 23rd, 2003, 12:54 PM
Tim J.

Default QUESTION: Hooks snapping on de-barb

"Chas Wade" wrote...
Scott Seidman wrote:
What's your son doing these days, BTW??

Working as a geologist, skiing, and fishing whenever he can. He also
ties flies. No negative repercussions from the accident.

That's great news, Chas.
--
TL,
Tim

Old September 23rd, 2003, 01:50 PM
Scott Seidman

"Wolfgang" wrote in
:

"Scott Seidman" wrote in message
. 1.4...

You can yell as loudly as a whistle
can, FOR AWHILE, assuming you're not injured.....

Maybe. I remain skeptical. But volume and tenacity aren't
necessarily always the key issues, anyway. High frequency sounds
carry much better through background noise.......like rushing water,
or wind in the trees. Birds figured it out years ago. In addition, a
signal note, regardless of pitch, is much more likely to be noticed if
it is of long duration. A whistle requires relatively little air
flow. It's pretty easy to hold a note for thirty seconds or more on a
whistle. Try that with a maximum volume shout sometime.......and half
a dozen or so shouts like that will pretty much fry most people's
vocal cords.

Wolfgang
tweet, tweet!

Don't have to sell it to me. I'm with you. Pound for pound and dollar for
dollar, in terms of safety equipment, a whistle is a hell of a deal. I
also think that when you have a whistle, everybody around you is a little
bit safer. Let's say you use a buddy system, one buddy busts a long bone
descending a gorge-- now what. Without a whistle, there's a larger chance
that the uninjured guy will have to hike back up and get help, or carry the
breakee out of the gorge solo, but with a whistle there's a bigger chance
that help might come to you.

I'll keep promoting my whistle carry to newbies.

Scott
Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:07 PM
Kevin Vang

Scott Seidman wrote:

Don't have to sell it to me. I'm with you. Pound for pound and dollar for
dollar, in terms of safety equipment, a whistle is a hell of a deal.

And, as a free bonus, you can use it to call your dog.

Kevin

Old September 23rd, 2003, 03:35 PM
slenon

I'll keep promoting my whistle carry to newbies.
Scott

I think such a small device is worth the weight. My bootlaces weigh more
than most whistles.

Two people were drowned while wade fishing local flats this weekend. One
non-swimmer was caught in the current and the second man went to his rescue.
Every time I'm out fishing I see people standing near channels submerged to
their armpits.

I don't normally wade that deep in any water. But such events make me
reconsider the purchase of an inflatable belt or suspenders.

----
Stev Lenon 91B20 '68-'69
Drowning flies to Darkstar
Save a cow, eat a PETA

http://web.tampabay.rr.com/stevglo/i...age92kword.htm

Old September 23rd, 2003, 06:13 PM
Herman Nijland

Kevin Vang wrote:
Scott Seidman wrote:

Don't have to sell it to me. I'm with you. Pound for pound and
dollar for dollar, in terms of safety equipment, a whistle is a hell
of a deal.

And, as a free bonus, you can use it to call your dog.

Kevin

Lassie! Go get help!

--
Herman, just adding