Unknown fly pattern

Old September 20th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Sierra fisher

Default Unknown fly pattern

I agree with Sandy. When fish sip, it is usually for one of the following
reasons. The flies are really small, like midges: the flies are emergers
stuck in the surface film, or the flies are dead, like spinners. The fish
when sipping are using minimum energy which means the flies will have
difficulty getting away from the fish (emergers and spinners) or the flies
are too small to justify a log of energy.
Since the fly was olive and bigger than a midge, I woudl try an olive
emerger, or an olive spinner in a size 14

"Sandy" wrote in message
djo wrote:
I was fishing one of our tiny midwestern spring creeks last week and
had worked my way below a very nice trout that was regularly sipping
something unseeable off of the surface. Over the course of a half
hour I managed to float a half dozen different dries in front of it
without any success. During that time an older gentleman had come up
behind me and was watching my lack of success. So I offered to let
him practice his casting over the trout and he accepted. Yup, you
guessed it. First cast and he's into what turns out to be a 18 inch
rainbow.
Now it could be that he was a better fisherman than I or luckier or
he had the correct fly. He showed me what he was using. It was about
a #14 dry fly with a small tail, a fairly standard body of olive green
dubbing, and an upright wing of what I assumed was antron but I
suppose might have been CDC. NO HACKLE. I was paying too much
attention to the fish and not the fly. I did not get a name for it.
Anyone have any ideas what it was.

Thanks,
David

I don't know the name of the fly but it sounds as if it was a "damp"

patern,
fishing in rather than on the surface. The reason you couldn't see what

the
fish was eating was because it was taking something from just below or in
the surface film, hence the reason your dries weren't working.

--
Don`t Worry, Be Happy

Sandy
--

E-Mail:-
Website:-

---

Old September 20th, 2003, 07:57 AM
Hooked

Should have paid more attention to the fly, then you could have paid more
attention to your own fish.

"djo" wrote in message
om...
Snip