Catfish

Old March 17th, 2005, 06:50 PM
Deepwater

Default Catfish

So....is there anybody out there? I've got a few weeks and a few feet of
snow to wait for, but I can't wait for the season. Anybody else in the same
boat(no pun intended)

Old March 17th, 2005, 07:24 PM
Pepperoni

"Deepwater" wrote in message
So....is there anybody out there? I've got a few weeks and a few feet of
snow to wait for, but I can't wait for the season. Anybody else in the

same
boat(no pun intended)

Yes. Waiting on the weather here, too. Snow is scarce here, but temps still
too low for my usual dawn expeditions.

I fish below a small dam where the cats follow the carp when they spawn.
During that time, the flatheads can't resist my hot dog baits. My usual
plan is to be bankside at dawn and for 2 hours after. The pool I fish stays
dark until the sun peeks above the trees.

An early warm-up could get me started, a blizzard could be a set-back; at
this point, it could go either way.

Pepperoni
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/flathead.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/earlymorncarp.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~thuxton/gonefishin02.htm

Old March 17th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Deepwater

Sounds like a nice fishin' hole. I have to wait untill 3rd week in May
before I can fish legaly. Probably not an issue as the ice may not be gone
by then anyhow. Hope for some nice weather soon.

Old March 17th, 2005, 09:47 PM
Pepperoni

Yeah, it's nice. The old mill dam stops the fish from moving up river. The
spawning carp lay in rows all along the face of the dam, and the flatheads
follow, presumably feeding on the spawn.
There is a quiet pool where I fish. The current runs in a slow eddy
*upstream* where the old mill building stands. The city has paved a landing
on the river and installed a railing. It is a little used municipal park;
above the dam the river is much wider, and a floating dock is provided.
(above the dam)

I catch a lot of carp using frozen corn. I use a 6' graphite ultralight rod,
but 25# spiderwire. I took several 30 pounders last year. Above the dam, I
have a huge semi-circular arc cut in the weeds. I let the big ones run, and
the spiderwire cuts the weeds off short.

Pepperoni

Old March 17th, 2005, 11:22 PM
Deepwater

I live near a big lock system where the Cats tend to migrate towards away
from the lake in early spring, to the dead end lock. Within a mile of this
area area "Miracle Mile) the Cat fishing is usuallyt very good. The season
for fishing here is short but a lot of fun. Down stream where the river
feeds through some mid sized streams and creeks, the Carp fishing is superb.
My wife loves to get a hold of one of these line twisters and SCREAM with
excitement. It's a wonder to watch, as fun as being a part of it. Can't
wait! Corn in any form does not work for us as bait for Carp. We've tried
many things including dough balls and the best has always been night
crawlers dropped onto the shore and pulled into the weed beds on a sunny
day. Our best luck for catching Cats has always been with Goldeye as bait.
Cut across the backbone in thirds, fresh and clean. Our water is dark so a
little flash (spinner) doesn't hurt either. Still waiting for the big one!

Old March 22nd, 2005, 10:33 PM
Dr. D

Here are some lakes in southern California that I and my kids have enjoyed and are pretty good for catfish/bass/crappy.
http://www.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=650
http://www.lake-piru.org/
http://www.sbparks.org/DOCS/Cachuma.html
Richard G.

Old April 8th, 2005, 01:03 AM
Hershel Eacret

Deepwater wrote:
So....is there anybody out there? I've got a few weeks and a few feet of
snow to wait for, but I can't wait for the season. Anybody else in the same
boat(no pun intended)

Yes they are biting here in Arkansas. Will be going soon.

DwayneinBonanza
Old February 23rd, 2011, 06:36 PM
keviinpiter keviinpiter is offline
Junior Member

I caught a lot of carp using frozen corn. I use a 6 'ultra-light graphite rods, but the 25 # spiderwire. I have several 30-Pounders last year. The most important dam, I have a huge semi-circular cutting weeds. I made a big run, change and spiderwire cut short weeds.
Old May 25th, 2011, 08:22 PM
pigychopes pigychopes is offline
Junior Member

I angle beneath a baby dam area the bodies chase the bother if they spawn. During that time, the flatheads can't abide my hot dog baits. My usual plan is to be bank side at aurora and for 2 hours after. The basin I angle stays dark until the sun peeks aloft the trees.