Southbound Key West Fishing Report Oct 2010

Old October 21st, 2010, 01:26 AM
captrbh captrbh is offline
Junior Member

Default Southbound Key West Fishing Report Oct 2010

October 29, 2010
The summer fishing has pretty much ended with the exception of a few odd dolphins. We’ve started getting our normal mild cold fronts for this time of year making for great conditions also. Mild winds out of the North have provided cooler drier temperatures and gentle seas for most of the month. These conditions are one of the reasons that October is one of my favorite months.
The reef is loaded with schools of ballyhoo which has made the fishing excellent. We’ve been pitching live ballyhoo out on light tackle the last few trips and it’s been working great. There are lots of large Cero Mackerel, some Big Barracudas, Some huge Yellow Jacks as well as a few Groupers, Mutton Snappers and Sharks. With the live ballyhoo the action has been very steady.
Offshore there are some Sailfish around and that should continue for the next few months. There have been a few Black Fin Tuna around and that should get better as the fall progresses. Look for the Tuna bite to be first thing in the morning or late in the day. I haven’t heard of any Wahoo in the last few days, but expect a good run of Wahoo sometime in the next few weeks.