Lessons

Old January 9th, 2010, 09:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
scubadiva

Default Lessons

I love fishing, but after buying second house in Oregon, all my
friends up there said I should learn fly fishing. I live in Camarillo
(north of Los Angeles) and am trying to find someone who does lessons
in my area. Help! I don't really want to join a club at this point
until I first learn and get equipment needed.
Old January 10th, 2010, 12:50 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Reid[_2_]

On Jan 9, 3:26*pm, scubadiva wrote:
I love fishing, but after buying second house in Oregon, all my
friends up there said I should learn fly fishing. *I live in Camarillo
(north of Los Angeles) and am trying to find someone who does lessons
in my area. *Help! *I don't really want to join a club at this point
until I first learn and get equipment needed.

Actually, joining a club is a great idea for someone just getting into
the sport. FFF and Trout Unlimited club members will give all the
advice you need on tackle, casting and tying. Consider it like paying
25 bucks a year to have a personal shopper, casting coach and tying
instructor.
I've seen folks buy the wrong thing or spend tons of bucks and find
out they don't like it. Go to the club, 99% of the folks will let you
try their gear. A fly rod should match your cast to a certain
extent. You can't get that by wiggling one in a store. Most clubs
also have club tying equipment to get you started and can advise you
on what to get. They also have fly tying days and will gladly teach a
beginner. I've got one vise that most consider a "starter" vise is my
go to vise for the road 15 years later (and it didn't cost me 300
bucks).
So, go to the club, ask questions, learn what you need and go from
there.
As a start, try http://www.fedflyfishers.org/ This is the link for
the FFF. They are not species specific. You're liable to find some
fly fishing surf casters near you.
Frank Reid
(feel free to email me if you have any questions)
Old February 12th, 2010, 02:01 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Robert from Oz

"scubadiva" wrote in message
I love fishing, but after buying second house in Oregon, all my
friends up there said I should learn fly fishing. I live in Camarillo
(north of Los Angeles) and am trying to find someone who does lessons
in my area. Help! I don't really want to join a club at this point
until I first learn and get equipment needed.

Hi Scubadiva,
There you go... that's invaluable advice Frank gave you and you saved a
whole stack of $$$ to boot before you stepped into a shop.

There is also a great DVD with excellent footage taken underwater with a cam
on a stick that might interest you as well (can't remember the name, but
someone here will quickly put up a link for you). It was on Dailymotion, but
it's now gone so you'll have to purchase it - but it's money well spent.

Enjoy.

Rob.