sorting

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Larry L

Default sorting

Like most tiers I've met, I have a lot of stuff ( materials) that seldom if
ever gets used. Space available for extras in my 'tying room' ( travel
trailer ) will be limited next season as my wife retires, travels with me
part of the time and we find out if she likes the life or not before
investing in a bigger rig more suitable for two and 'full time' living.

So I've been starting by tying up medium sized quanities of patterns I use,
but not often. That way the materials used ONLY for them can get left at
home. Heah, it's a start G

But the real challenge is to decide which of the seldom/ never used but cool
looking materials to leave behind ( or simply ashcan/ give away ). For
instance, I have 4 or 5 different furs died to nearly identical colors ...
and in several colors, of course

Can anyone tell me why I might want to use Angora Goat, or Australian
Opposum, instead of rabbit or hares ear in exactly the same color? The
texture differences are there but, to be honest, I don't know what value
they might have. I don't fish nymphs much and certainly don't need to
stock many 'wet fly' materials, but which ones ???? G

I have set the goal of reducing my 'traveling materials" down to 1/3 the
volume of years past. That shouldn't be difficult, since what I actually
use, over and over all summer is a very small number of materials. But
then why am I so relcutant to take out stuff I've never used since the week
I bought it, maybe 15 years ago ?

Old January 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Stephen Welsh

On Jan 20, 6:43*am, "Larry L" wrote:
Like most tiers I've met, I have a lot of stuff ( materials) that seldom if
ever gets used. * *

[snippage]

For instance, I have 4 or 5 different furs died to nearly identical colors ...
and in several colors, of course

Can anyone tell me why I might want to use Angora Goat, or Australian
Opposum, *instead of rabbit or hares ear in exactly the same color? * *The
texture differences are there but, to be honest, I don't know what value
they might have. * I don't fish nymphs much and certainly don't need to
stock many 'wet fly' materials, but which ones ???? G

There are no Australian opossum, just labels with that printed on
'em ;-)

The angora is a much longer in fibre (at least the stuff I have is)
and
probably more suited to making larger wets/nymphs I would have
thought.
But if you don't do them much ...

(You can get a fair bit of fine dubbing off a hare's mask, btw, and
also some longer soft fibres almost completely unlike angora. ;-)

Some fine (rabbit or possum) plus some coarse (hares ear assuming its
the coarse packaged stuff)
of the same colour would cover your needs I would have thought.

I have set the goal of reducing my 'traveling materials" down to 1/3 the
volume of years past. * *That shouldn't be difficult, since what I actually
use, over and over all summer is a very small number of materials. *

Sounds like you've got it sussed.

But then why am I so relcutant to take out stuff I've never used since the week
I bought it, maybe 15 years ago ?

Do you have to? Sounds like you can leave a lot at home in storage.

Steve

Old January 20th, 2009, 12:19 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Jan 19, 1:43*pm, "Larry L" wrote:
[...]

I think the same thing when I go on the road and plan to fish. I just
throw the main stuff in that I think may of use wherever I fish.

Something else of a similar thought has been mulling through my mind
the last few months. When I die, (and I'm sure I probably will
someday) where does all the tying material, tools, rods, reels and 30
years of collecting go? Don't think I can take it with me. Kids don't
have the illness like I do. If I leave it to the kids, it will
eventually end up in the trash and it won't be the "treasure" it is to
me. The dog might appreciate chewing it up.Could leave it to the local
fly club or some other worthy group. Any thoughts and ideas would be
appreciated.
Guy

Old January 20th, 2009, 04:06 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
vincent norris

When I die, (and I'm sure I probably will someday) where does all the
tying material, tools, rods, reels and 30 years of collecting go?

Could leave it to the local fly club or some other worthy group.
Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

By all means, give your stuff to someone or some group that can use it.
My local TU chapter teaches fly tying and fishing to kids every summer.
Check with your local chapter.

A group of us have been giving tying lessons at a nearby Veterans
Home. You might have one near you, too.

vince
Old January 20th, 2009, 11:26 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Jan 19, 10:06*pm, vincent norris wrote:
When I die, (and I'm sure I probably will someday) where does all the

*tying material, tools, rods, reels and 30 *years of collecting go?

Could leave it to the local fly club or some other worthy group.

*Any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated.

By all means, give *your stuff to someone or some group that can use it..
My local TU chapter teaches fly tying and fishing to kids every summer.
Check with your local chapter.

A group of us have been giving tying lessons at a nearby Veterans
Home. *You might have one near you, too.

vince

How is it going at the local Vets Home? Do you teach to the same group
all the time?
Are you able to get there often?

I do belong to GRTU. But have never made a meeting due to their
distance from me.

Old January 21st, 2009, 03:58 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
vincent norris

A group of us have been giving tying lessons at a nearby Veterans
Home. You might have one near you, too.

vince

How is it going at the local Vets Home? Do you teach to the same group
all the time?

We've done it now for about three winters. Usually about a dozen vets
show up for the class. There are some who keep coming, but there is
also some turnover. We started out with about eight instructors but the
number has dwindled to five regulars, one of whom was able to persuade
his Elks Club chapter to donate some funds for buying tools and materials.

Not all the vets are physically or mentally able to tie a good fly, but
at the very least, a session gives them a break from what must be a
pretty monotonous existence.

Are you able to get there often?

The schedule is one afternoon a month. Last spring, one member of the
instructors group was able to arrange for a bus to take some of the vets
to a state park not far away for an afternoon's outing. Some fished,
some just enjoyed the outing.

vince
Old January 21st, 2009, 11:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Jan 20, 9:58*pm, vincent norris wrote:
[...]

Thanks Vince,
My hat is off to you and your group.
Guy