Fish disease

Old August 30th, 2008, 06:37 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_4_]

Default Fish disease

HI Everyone,

Any one know of a good site to find what a strange marking on fish was, I
think it is an illness as it was perfectly round with the outer edge being
like half a tyre and about 10 mm across with an inner section looking like
an ulcer. It was on a 3 lb breams gill cover.

Any ideas anyone.

--
Gandalf

Old August 30th, 2008, 07:05 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
PB

In article , Gandalf.not@home
says...
HI Everyone,

Any one know of a good site to find what a strange marking on fish was, I
think it is an illness as it was perfectly round with the outer edge being
like half a tyre and about 10 mm across with an inner section looking like
an ulcer. It was on a 3 lb breams gill cover.

Any ideas anyone.

Stab wound from a heron.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:25 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_4_]

There was no puncture there although it is the right size and we do have a
couple of resident herons. Most stab wounds I have seen are glancing as well
and not straight on but it is not impossible. I did have that viral look
having seen a few fungal infections on goldfish but nothing quite like it
specifically.

But thanks for the idea.

--
Gandalf

om...

Old September 13th, 2008, 02:04 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Derek Moody

In article , Gandalf
URL:mailto:Gandalf.not@home wrote:
HI Everyone,

Any one know of a good site to find what a strange marking on fish was, I
think it is an illness as it was perfectly round with the outer edge being
like half a tyre and about 10 mm across with an inner section looking like
an ulcer. It was on a 3 lb breams gill cover.

Any ideas anyone.

Without a sample of the tissue I doubt you'll ever know. If the surrounding
tissue was swollen, ie. there was some sign that the fish was
fighting/healing the damage then I'd tend to agree with Pete that it was
most likely an infected wound - 'though I couldn't suggest a cause. The
inner section was probably secondarily infected by bacteria/fungus.

Think about an ulcerated boil on a human - if untreated it can turn into a
similar form and might lead to systemic poisoning and even death.

One case is probably nothing to worry about, several should be a signal for
further action.

Cheerio,

--
Fishing: http://www.fishing.casterbridge.net/
Writing: http://www.author.casterbridge.net/derek-moody/

Old September 14th, 2008, 06:35 PM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Gandalf[_4_]

Hi Derek,

I got in touch with a biology due connected to the Environment Agency and
sent him a picture. He said it was a reaction to something else like we can
get acne through stress. Nothing to worry about as long as there are not a
lot of cases as a lot of cases would show something was stressing all the
fish such as water pollution and the like. Which is what you said basically
and as there are no large numbers of dead fish I am not too worried. I have
taken out quite a lot of fish since with no more signs of it and from the
same area so that acts as a sample batch in my books.VBG

Mind you I caught a Jack Pike, about a pound, who could be the cause in
worrying the fish. I caught it on strawberry pellet fishing for tench and
despite have handled a lot of much bigger pike in my time without being bit
this aggressive little sod had me three times and at one point he was
hanging from my knuckle. He drew blood, a lot of blood as those teeth are
like needles when they are young. He went back well and alive though despite
my thoughts of revenge and unusual pizza toppings.VBG

I had seen similar reactions to fish I have got for my pond just not so
perfectly round. Usually my pond fish get a cotton wool like coating on the
infections which this did not have so I discounted it at first.

Many thanks for the info though.

--
Gandalf