Quill-bodied mayflies...

Old August 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Danl[_3_]

Default Quill-bodied mayflies...

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..

btw, those cdc&elk and the killer caddis i first discovered through you
were magic on the madison and nez perce and... well, you know. did the
salmonfly ever get going strong?

always good to see you harry - here and elsewhere.

jeff

And speaking of which, does anyone have a good source for the "Type II" CDC
feathers that are used for this pattern?

Danl

Old August 7th, 2008, 12:39 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
jeff miller[_2_]

Tom Littleton wrote:

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..

half maryland, half virginia. are you gonna be on the good side or the less
good side? i think it's about 4-5 hours from here...i've never been on it,
though i've been to its sister, chincoteague once. you'll probably want to
come this-a-way...better sal****er fishing down here, my boats are here,
and i'd rather you drive. g

jeff

If I understand the drift, and the cultural bias, the good side. In fact,
Littletons first arrived on the good side in 1673, and have been there, in
some number, since.
Better sal****er fishing?? I'm not sure, but both VA and the Old North State
have some interesting options. One of the cool things about where the old
homestead is located is options: The Chesapeake Bay is roughly 4 miles from
the house, I can be on Chincoteague/Assateague in under 20 minutes. Choices,
choices!! I'll keep you posted, as the whole process goes forward.
Tom

all in jest... i'd enjoy a visit to that area in the off season. i went
to chincoteague in a cold weather month...beautiful, typical barrier
island with lots of migratory waterfowl. once, i went to ocean
city...bypassed assateague. i don't like ocean city, just as i don't
like atlantic beach down here.

i've never fished the chesapeake area, but read a good bit about
it...simply no reason to go there when i have the same or better fishing
opportunities here, and there are fewer folks here (usually)... the
chincoteague bay looks like it ought to have some decent fishing, but i
don't hear much about anything except croakers and flounder up there. i
know the stripers are reported to make a good run in the chesapeake, and
a bit farther south in virginia, rudee inlet is one of the best
sal****er striper fishing grounds on the east coast.

anyway...you'll have a boat or 3 within a year or two of moving, and
you'll be finding the hot spots and joy of sal****er fishing. do you tie
sal****er flies???... oh, and best prepare the wife and the pouting
room...sal****er fishing is a new and significant budget item that
creates many opportunities for late-night "discussions." g

jeff

jeff

Old August 7th, 2008, 03:01 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"jeff miller" wrote in message
. ..
all in jest... i'd enjoy a visit to that area in the off season. i went
to chincoteague in a cold weather month...beautiful, typical barrier
island with lots of migratory waterfowl. once, i went to ocean
city...bypassed assateague.

Assateague has the reputation(although one wouldn't know it by my
experience) of a spectacular fishery. I have, generally, caught fish there,
though. General pattern of fishery would be: Early season-trout, then
rockfish,then flounder and blues; summer--mostly kings, but big-ass sharks
at night; fall--big rockfish(real big), bigger drum(red and black).
Chincoteague and Assateague bays generally have spot, croaker, sea bass and
flounder, but all sorts of stuff gets lost and wanders in from sharks to
rays to bluefish. The bay, I have less experience with, but you probably
know the drill, as you say, from your waters, as they share some
similarities. Will bear in mind warnings for wife.....g
Tom

Old August 7th, 2008, 06:41 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
bones[_2_]

On Aug 6, 4:56*am, jeff miller wrote:
wrote:
On Tue, 05 Aug 2008 22:30:23 GMT, "Tom Littleton"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

if you can find them, seek out Canada Goose primary wing biots...dye
them in any manner you like and see what a difference they make in the
segmented appearance of the body.I think you will *like it

http://www.troutflies.com/Merchant2/...009/hoh139.jpg

Thanks, Harry, I will do that. Pronto. Gosh, it is good to see you post
around these parts!! I hope you are well.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * Tom

Thanks Tom, I'm doing very well, in fact about to hit the five year
all's clear mark here pretty soon. Kind of a milestone in the world of
angiosarcoma's *:

when last i saw you (a few weeks ago) on the banks of the madison, you
looked and acted so "well" that it never even crossed my mind that you
had experienced any life-threatening health issues. *you were entirely
too well, as was i.g good to know we'll have you around for a good
long while yet - new flies to discover and new streams to wade. there is
something healing and energizing about chasing trout on such waters, eh?
* btw, those cdc&elk and the killer caddis i first discovered through
you were magic on the madison and nez perce and... *well, you know. *did
the salmonfly ever get going strong?

always good to see you harry - here and elsewhere.

jeff- Hide quoted text -

yes there is something healing about chasing fish... that area does
help as well :-) as for the salmon flies they never really got up that
high...goldens did though... the bugs were late as was the spring so
bug wise, we were there mid June, calendar wise, it was mid July. Good
to see you and from what I saw you were having a great old time :-)

harry
Old August 14th, 2008, 09:04 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Aug 5, 6:51*am, "Tom Littleton" wrote:

You know, its posts like this one that either assures one, or chastens
one that they are not as hardcore as their critics might have
intimated. I think I tried to wind biot once, and felt real superior
about those times I kinda succeeded in using biot for the short
antenna of a large Kaufman's style stonefly. You guys are hardcore.
Never mind. :-O

Dave
Reminds me of a serious discussion of the differing merits of split
shot brands I once listened to in shock at a clave a few years back.
Keeps one humble. Sort of.