I don't recall which Fly Swap?

Old August 7th, 2008, 12:49 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

Default I don't recall which Fly Swap?

I looked thru Stans webpage, but only saw one swap in which I had
participated. I know that I participated in at least two others, but the fly
I will talk about must not have made it to Stan's site?

Anyway, I had attempted to tie one of Oliver Edward's Mohican Mayflys (as a
bonus fly for a swap, cause my fly tyin' skills suck), but wound up tying
something the same, only completely different. It ended up looking like a
giant foam bodied thing with spread deer hair wings and up-turned abdomen
with moose hair tail, I think?

Well, Bear and I fished a stream Sunday that Jeff Miller and I camped on in
the early part of June. I have fished this fly on several occasions with
great success. And again on Sunday it produced. I believe Miller saw me
catch a trout on the same stream with this fly, on the same stream back in
June--though it could have been one of the other streams that we fished.

I have posted a pic of the trout with fly in mouth, over at ABPF. The pic
was taken with my new cell phone cam, so the pic sucks as bad as my tyin'
skills.

The whole point to this post was to let anyone that may have been
unfortunate enough to have received my hideous proffering, during a past fly
swap, know that that particular fly actually attracts and catches fish!

Op

Old August 7th, 2008, 02:24 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

On Aug 7, 7:49*am, "Opus--Mark H. Bowen" wrote:
[...]

Hey Op; I had a similar experience! I tied up something called the
"African Devil' back while I was in Congo, not really knowing anything
at all about how to tie flies. It had a body made of wrapped PT, a
long tail made of stiff fibres from an african wild boar, and a folded
back cape and wing made from a red African Grey Parrot feather.

The ones I sent to the swap were the best....I kept a couple of sick
looking skinny, sparse, ratty ones that did not come out at all. They
ended up being the most effective on the Rapid with Dave Lacourse this
summer, to my amazement.

If anyone still has their old African Devil, try dragging it through
some pools....it turned out to be pretty good! :-)

--riverman
Old August 8th, 2008, 01:23 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"riverman" wrote in message
[...]

It amazes me the things that a trout will put in its mouth. Though I am very
happy that NC trout seem enamored with my profferings!

Btw, how did the group fishing tip to NZ turnout. I was likely in classes
during your the time you were there and must have missed the TR aftere the
trip :~^ (

Op --glad to hear you had success with flyz that you have tied yourself--

Old August 9th, 2008, 06:03 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

On Aug 8, 8:23*am, "Opus--Mark H. Bowen" wrote:
"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Op *--glad to hear you had success with flyz that you have tied yourself--- Hide quoted text -

I think I did post a TR. In a nutshell, it went GREAT, and I've even
heard from a few kids this summer who took their gear with them off to
college and wanted to know where to cast. One was in Utah, the other
in California.

--riverman
Old August 9th, 2008, 03:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Have you mentioned ROFF to
them.............................................. :~^ )

Op

Old August 10th, 2008, 04:16 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Op- Hide quoted text -

Not a chance. I don't want to encourage my kids to see my alter-ego
here, and I have a professional responsibility to protect them from
toxic environments. However, I *did* identify to them the roffians who
sponsored their flies, and encouraged them to do business with Harry
in exchange for his generosity.

But if any of them do make fly fishing part of their regular
repertoire, then it might be inevitable that they will stumble across
roff in their on-line travels. :-)

--riverman

Old August 10th, 2008, 04:35 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Opus--Mark H. Bowen

"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

If any happen to locate ROFF and identify themselves as former students of
yours, I will promptly direct them to the nearest porn site, as such a site
would be eminently less toxic than ROFF!

Do you happen to recall the title of your TR. I would like to look it up.

Op

Old August 10th, 2008, 12:25 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
riverman

"riverman" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, I never really did post a dedicated TR from the kids point
of view, but I posted a report on losing a really big fish on the last
day. Its called 'The Big One (you know the rest)' and was posted on
roff in April. I also alluded in a couple of posts about the week and
how the kids took to fishing, but never wrote a single dedicated TR.

In reality, it rained a whole lot for the first half of the week, so
we changed our plan and instead of working our way down the river,
camping and casting as planned, we just made a base camp and did day
trips out of there. The kids were real troopers, enjoying the novelty
of camping in the rain, and developing their casting skills. By
midweek, they were pretty independant, so they started fishing on
their own and I just dropped by their spots to see how it went. By the
end of the week, practically everyone was catching (little) fish, and
a couple of the better casters were consistently putting me to shame,
never getting windknots, and getting their lines out midstream with
good presentation. All in all, they loved it and I think about half of
them will continue to be fly fishermen for life. Mission
accomplished. :-)

--riverman