When stoneflies re-enter the food chain

Old August 4th, 2008, 02:30 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
ToddAndMargo

Default When stoneflies re-enter the food chain

Hi All,

On the stream I fish on, when the stone flies skitter
across the water to lay their eggs, they frequently loose
control and get stuck prostrate on the surface. Thus,
re-entering the food chain, much to the delight of the
local rainbow trout population. (Their strikes on them are
rather spectacular.)

Does anyone have a favorite pattern to simulate this?

Many thanks,
-T
Old August 4th, 2008, 11:46 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

"ToddAndMargo" wrote in message
Hi All,

On the stream I fish on, when the stone flies skitter
across the water to lay their eggs, they frequently loose
control and get stuck prostrate on the surface. Thus,
re-entering the food chain, much to the delight of the
local rainbow trout population. (Their strikes on them are
rather spectacular.)

Does anyone have a favorite pattern to simulate this?

Many thanks,
-T

Todd,
Most of the hairwinged, dry stoneflies were designed to imitate the larger
species of stoneflies, egglaying. Frankly,
any floating fly of the right size and roughly close color which you can
make skitter across the surface might get
an enthusiastic response.
Tom

Old August 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
ToddAndMargo

Tom Littleton wrote:
"ToddAndMargo" wrote in message
Hi All,

On the stream I fish on, when the stone flies skitter
across the water to lay their eggs, they frequently loose
control and get stuck prostrate on the surface. Thus,
re-entering the food chain, much to the delight of the
local rainbow trout population. (Their strikes on them are
rather spectacular.)

Does anyone have a favorite pattern to simulate this?

Many thanks,
-T

Todd,
Most of the hairwinged, dry stoneflies were designed to imitate the larger
species of stoneflies, egglaying. Frankly,
any floating fly of the right size and roughly close color which you can
make skitter across the surface might get
an enthusiastic response.
Tom

Hi Tom,

I am thinking of a scene from Cutter's Bugs of the Underworld

http://www.flyline.com/shop/bugs_of_the_underworld/

where it shows such a prostrate stone fly from an underwater
angle. (It also shows a red band having his lunch on her.
It's a great shot!) The underwater "signature" is very
specific. I am just not finding anything I think matches
that shot.

-T

Great video by the way -- military intelligence for the
fly fisherman.
Old August 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Tom Littleton

Todd,
Couldn't see the specific shot, as I didn't subscribe, but I have seen a
few spent stones. I don't know as that there is "one way" that the trout
sees them come by, more than likely they look for triggers. I would use a
hairwing pattern flush in the surface, and suspect that if the body size and
general color was right, the wing would seem vague enough to fool the trout.
I guess my entire philosophy of tying is based on creating a visual
impression, as opposed to a specific, detailed imitation. Then again, I am
not a trout, so cannot say specifically what triggers feeding or what things
appear like to the swimming/hovering fish.
Tom

Old August 4th, 2008, 08:17 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
ToddAndMargo

Tom Littleton wrote:
Todd,
Couldn't see the specific shot, as I didn't subscribe, but I have seen a
few spent stones. I don't know as that there is "one way" that the trout
sees them come by, more than likely they look for triggers. I would use a
hairwing pattern flush in the surface, and suspect that if the body size and
general color was right, the wing would seem vague enough to fool the trout.
I guess my entire philosophy of tying is based on creating a visual
impression, as opposed to a specific, detailed imitation. Then again, I am
not a trout, so cannot say specifically what triggers feeding or what things
appear like to the swimming/hovering fish.
Tom

Thank you for the tips! Impression vs. specific is not matter.
If you catch fish, you got it right!

-T
Old August 5th, 2008, 07:43 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
[email protected]

On Aug 4, 9:26*am, ToddAndMargo
wrote:
Tom Littleton wrote:
[...]

fly fisherman.- Hide quoted text -

I didn't buy their stuff either. What does the underwater sig look
like? I do use a small ovipositing caddis surface pattern for
skittering but its main distinguishing feature is the egg sack.

Old August 6th, 2008, 09:18 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
ToddAndMargo

wrote:
On Aug 4, 9:26 am, ToddAndMargo
wrote:
Tom Littleton wrote:
[...]

Dave

It is actually not skittering. It is crashed and can't get loose.

The four winds are spread out from the body, not exactly
perpendicular or uniform from side to side. There
is a lot of indents on the surface film. The body
of the fly looks like a regular stone fly but with
the addition of trapped air around the body.

I would think every trout fly fisherman would have
a copy of Bugs. It was eye opening for me. You will
especially love the way he shows a real stone fly
nymph caught in the current. (You will start
tying your stone nymphs upside down.)

-T