vise

Old May 17th, 2008, 01:13 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
irish1[_4_]

Default vise

My vice has both a pedestal and a clamp. I prefer the clamp because when
tying sometime I have to really bear down on the fly and the clamp holds
better. I clamp it to the side of my tying bench and have better height
adjustments than sitting the pedestal on the top of the bench.

--
irish1
Old May 17th, 2008, 01:51 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
AKSkim[_54_]

smittin:

There are many vises out on there on the market, my suggestion to you
is to take your time in choosing the one for you. After all you will
more than likely spend countless of hours behind it, so it should be
very comfortable and enjoyable for you.

Check out a number of fly shops and test drive the vises they have. I
bet they would be more than accommodating in letting you sit there and
test one making a fly or two.

irish1 is correct about the use of a clamp, you will be able to adjust
the height of the vise for you.

[image: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b.../DSCN3099.jpg]

A base or pedestal is in a fixed position and if the desk is higher
than you would like, would make it a bit uncomfortable while tying.

[image: http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/b.../DSCN3102.jpg]

I don't know what you have in mind for a budget, however, you might
wish to consider going far above it for the vise that you choose. Like
I stated before, you are going to spend countless hours behind it.

Good luck, and enjoy.

AK Skim

--
AKSkim

*.... Red Sox Nation *and the rest of MLB
#1 in posts scrubbed, -161 and still counting.-
-AK Skim NEFF leader in Off Topic Banter-
*Winner of the NEFF 2007 Most Prestigious Award*