Warm water flies

Old April 18th, 2008, 07:53 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
irish1[_2_]

Default Warm water flies

A good fly that is easy to tie using foam is the 'KLOD HOPPER' and it
works when tied large so it is good for beginners (and old guys with
bad eyes). The formula and tying instructions are on 'Fly Anglers
OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.'
(http://tinyurl.com/59mae4). On the left side of the screen there is a
search box. Type in 'KLOD HOPPER' and the instructions are the first
result.

--
irish1
Old April 21st, 2008, 03:10 AM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
Frank Berg

Hey SC,

If you want to get a lifetime supply of rubber legs to tie into the foam,
buy a couple of feet of bungee cord. Strip off the outer coating and you
will find a bunch of rubber strands. They usually are either black or white,
really doesn't matter, just tie them into the body and let them be long
rather than short. On a #14 hook, you can use rubber legs about 2 inches
long. I tie in the foam body by the head first. Cut the body in a kind of
teardrop shape and just tie in the head against the eye. Then take your
rubber and hold it in line with the hook on top of the foam. Wrap the legs
in carefully with several wraps of thread and whip finish the tie in. Make
it tight! When you are finished, the legs will usually splay out a bit and
you can adjust them to your liking. The fish don't seem to mind what ever
you do to them. I go through these things by the dozens in the summer and
have them in every color you can imagine. Good luck on teaching, better
luck in catching, the lad will enjoy the results.

Frank

"streamcaddis" wrote in message
On Mar 30, 10:23 pm, "Frank Berg" wrote:
Foam spiders with rubber legs. Use any kind of foam from closed cell to
open foam. I have used them for years and given a handfull of these, he
will have a better than even chance of getting more than he can lift out
of
the water...

"streamcaddis" wrote in message

I have been teaching a 11 year old to tie flies. He wants to tie flies
for bluegill and bass. I have tied trout flies for about forty years
but have no clue what to tie for bluegills. I need HELP !!..

Frank , thanks for the info. I went over to Hobby lobby to get a can
of adhesive and they had a pack of 2 mm foam, every color in the book
for around $6.00. Needles I have enough foam to last me a life time
and beyond. It sure is fun teaching the kids how to tie. I think I get
more out of it then they do.
Thanks again,,,Dave..