Carp Fishing in America

Old April 17th, 2008, 12:31 AM posted to uk.rec.fishing.coarse
Pepperoni

Default Carp Fishing in America

The weather is warming, the river is high and the carp are moving upstream
I fish below a wall dam, so the fish are stacking up; they can't move
further upstream, so they hold in large numbers. Once they begin to spawn,
the catfish will join them to feed.

I took three small carp today, three casts in-a-row. Bait was frozen corn
on a #6 Gamikatsu HD bait hook, 18 inches below a large split shot on 20#
Spiderwire braid. The fish were 8-12 pounds, strong but sluggish from the
cold water. They were my first fish of the season. I expect plenty of
action as the water warms and the big females move in to spawn.

I made some converts to my method. There were 5-6 others fishing live bait
with small success. They took a small sucker and a smallmouth (no yet bass
season) while I put on a show. I left them a cup full of bait and
instructions as I wrapped up my gear and headed home.

I will be fishing 3 or 4 days a week until the end of June, spending no more
than 2 hours per session. I can expect to land a fish about every 20
minutes. Some days, I will visit twice in a day. Some days I will switch
to a meat bait before dawn for catfish, just to add a little variety

The season is starting well.

Happy fishing.

Pepperoni