Question for Matt

Old February 7th, 2008, 02:52 PM posted to rec.outdoors.fishing.fly.tying
afishinado[_6_]

Default Question for Matt

One time fishing the Little Lehigh in the Hertitage section I was having
a tough time trying to catch fish there one summer day. I decided to
use a dry fly as an indicator and pulled out a neon blue bodied
stimulator from my fly box to use as an indicator fly. A fish attacked
the stimmie as soon as it hit the water. I had hits on the fly on the
next 3 or 4 casts. I unfortunately I lost the fly in a tree when it
pulled out of the fishes mouth. I thought about climbing the tree to
try to retrieve the fly since it was the only blue stimmie I had, but
decided not to.

A little later while I sat on the bank I saw several neon blue dragon
flies flying along the stream and landing on the vegetation. The light
came on. I tied up some neon blue (and neon green) stimmies and use
them the match the dragonfly and/or damselfly hatch when I see them
near or on the water. The color appears to be the trigger, and the
flies work well at times, even more so for smallmouths.

BTW there's nothing like Eagles green or Phillies red. It takes a lot
or character (or yes, maybe stupidity) to root for teams year after
year that never win the big one. It's like fishing with a wind knot in
your tippet, knowing that if you do manage to hook into a big one,
you'll never land it.

--
afishinado